Notifications

Help with son.  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS

angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
August 30, 2012 6:25 am  

Its called growing pains. Repetitions are the most important. Fix the problems as you see them and crack down on simple mental errors. We run laps, up/downs, and/or push ups for jumping offsides, splits not correct, ununiformed huddle, speaking in the huddle or watching the cheerleaders. These errors are from lack of attention not mistakes. I do not punish mistakes, I fix them. Loosen up on the pressure and let them flow. Start with the very basics and move forward as a unit. Once you have the basic stance and proper steps move to speed. I give them a snap count and have them move at a fast pace 10 yrds at a time, from cone to cone and watch their form.( 7 cones) Also some kids are better to go to a 2 point stance at that age. (so teach both) Let them know they have to strive for protection so the running backs can get their ball to the end zone for them. If isnt a starter dont force him, make him hunger for it . Do not coach them as single intities, they are a team. Be proud of him no matter what.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
johnnycam
(@johnnycam)
Copper
August 30, 2012 6:41 am  

Then why do you let them coach the other kids?

Perhaps because he has no say in the matter...?

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
August 30, 2012 6:48 am  

Perhaps because he has no say in the matter...?

Maybe.  It sounds like he is the head coach, though.

"Wouldn't let any other of my coaches..."

I'm interested in the answer.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
coachstu
(@coachstu)
Gold
August 30, 2012 6:48 am  

My youngest (9) is doomed to be a lineman, takes after his daddy. He has the body and strength to be a very good lineman. He is strong as a bear, but I can't get him to move off the line on either O or D. Also he is a gentle kid, how do I install that want to in him. If I could put my oldest mind set into my youngest body I would have a hell of a football player. Need your help guys, footwork and anything else you can think of. Thanks

My son is 12 and weighs 195.  He is not an aggressive kid by nature.  Quite the opposite.  In practice, against his teammates, he is incredibly soft.  Come game time, however, he's one the best linemen in the league.  He's made many clutch plays over the years.

I think he's a team player.  He wants to win above all else.  And when it's game time, that light flicks on and he will do whatever it takes.  I've tried to get him to play angry hoping it would make him more aggressive. But I find what works with him is stressing the team concept and how much his team needs him to win.  He responds to that.  Might try that with your son.

The downside is that when we lose, it stays with him for a long time.  And when the season is over, he gets a serious case of the blues.

Your son's issues are incentive based.  Find that trigger and he'll be fine.  Just don't think all that machismo hit or be hit stuff is the answer.  That doesn't work for every kid.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
August 30, 2012 7:20 am  

Kind of hard when I am the coach. Wouldn't let any other of my coaches do it.

you want it more than he does....I believe in kids not having the right choose so to speak...but not when it comes to their interest...sometimes you just need to give him some room to figure it out. You cant make your son want something.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Coach BigMike
(@coach-nolan)
Bronze
August 30, 2012 7:23 am  

I'm going to add my $0.02. I'm a coach. My son Plays on my team. Unwritten rules say "you don't coach your own kid". i know from experience that when I try to coach my son he feels like he's letting me down and he shuts off. If any of the other coaches work with him, he might not like it, but he doesn't break down. He gets mad and goes out there and does better. Same goes for our Header. His son is a fullback and LB. I'm the RB coach. I always get better results from his kid when I coach him. He just gets frustrated when his dad yells. A few weeks ago  the header and I made a deal. He deals with my son (QB) and I deal with his son during practice and games. I told him to do whatever was necessary to coach my son and he said the same. So far we have had great improvement out of both boys.

i know its hard but its necessary. I still get frustrated when I see him do something wrong, but I let the other coaches handle it. Its so much better this way. He feels more comfortable with me know to actually talk to me about practice. He tells me all about how he did every day now. You have to separate the Player and the Son.

like i said, Just my $0.02

(Las Vegas, NV)

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 30, 2012 7:34 am  

When I started coaching my son was on our team. He completely shut me down. I would say something and it was ignored. Another coach would tell him the same thing and it was the gospel. I enjoy coaching much more now that I no longer coach my kid. He probably enjoyed playing more once he moved to hs.
Back to the original poster. Maybe your son is kinda shutting down because he is afraid of disappointing you or you may be overloading him with football. I know I did it to mine. He also may just not be ready to play yet mentally as far as maturity. It is the toughest game to play imo because of the physical and mental demands. This game is not for everybody.

ReplyQuote
crissaitch
(@crissaitch)
Bronze
August 30, 2012 8:05 am  

You all are getting away from the question. I didn't ask you to question the methods of how I coach, been doing it a long time. I simply asked for some direction. But thanks anyway.

If you've been coaching a long time, then what have you done when you've found the same problem in other kids? With statements like "wouldn't let any other coach do it", you're giving the impression that the only reason you're taking steps to correct the issue is because the player is your son. It also gives the impression that you believe your feelings are the only ones that matter.

Let your assistants handle the job. Its near impossible to instill your own desire into your child. Give him a chance to grow into his role, treat him as you do every other player, and treat every player as though they are your son.

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
August 30, 2012 8:32 am  

The reason that my teams are successful is because ALL of the kids on my team are comfortable with contact.  How do you do this?  Lots of contact in SMALL SPACES

1. Angle Drill
2. 2 on 1's
3. T Drill
4. 3 Slot Challenge
5. Whose ball?

LOVE the 2 on 1. Angle Drill is everyday.

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
August 30, 2012 8:56 am  

The reason that my teams are successful is because ALL of the kids on my team are comfortable with contact.  How do you do this?  Lots of contact in SMALL SPACES

1. Angle Drill
2. 2 on 1's
3. T Drill
4. 3 Slot Challenge
5. Whose ball?

? what is whose ball?

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
August 30, 2012 9:17 am  

1. Angle Drill
2. 2 on 1's
3. T Drill
4. 3 Slot Challenge
5. Whose ball?

Actually, how do you run all of them except for whose ball  :)?

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Loftdawg
(@loftdawg)
Copper
August 30, 2012 9:19 am  

Feel your pain coach.

My son was always a big guy but had trouble moving his feet, some big guys at that age do. And he was not aggressive by nature. He played 4 years of football 8-11 y.o. without ever really getting it. Every practice ended with me trying to fix what I saw wrong on the field as we drove home. Frustrating for both of us.

Last year, at age 12, the light finally turned on. It was a combination of a good line coach who praised him for doing even a small thing right before fixing issues, him finally being ready from a physical and mental standpoint and ME GETTING OUT OF THE WAY.

Now, nothing gives him more pleasure than pancaking an opponent. He's even starting on the D line which I never would have imagined him doing last year. I coach another team and just watch from the sidelines now. I don't comment on plays, except to tell him when he has done something well. Life is good.

It may come or it may not with your son.  Do drills and find something he is doing right, even if it's just getting in the stance. But don't be surprised if he balks at your coaching.  Sounds like you don't trust your current coaching staff. Start looking for ones you do trust and respect now and get them on your team next season. Or, find a head coach who enjoys running the line and team up with him as an OC or DC maybe.

That's the best advice I can give from someone who was in your place 5 years ago.

Loftdawg

ReplyQuote
billb7581
(@billb7581)
Bronze
August 30, 2012 10:04 am  

Looks like I got 2 more years before that switch goes on  ;D

Like everyone else said, the worst thing you can do is try and coach your own kid.  I almost always try and coach a different group in drills.  Your own kid will tune you out.

ReplyQuote
CoachC.
(@coachcreswell)
Bronze
August 30, 2012 10:11 am  

? what is whose ball?

I just learned of whose ball is it this year, my pee wee team and my MS team love. You get everyone together put a coach on the other end of field. Put 2 similar size,speed kids together throw ball to the other end of field and tell them to run and get it, one without the ball fight to get it. The other players run behind and cheer them on. I make my lineman line do to fire off when they head to get it. Makes them run sprints too and they don't know it.

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver
August 30, 2012 10:11 am  

CoachC -- Don't ever start a question stating that you are talking about your own son and coaching him on this website.  It usually doesn't get the response you are looking for or even answer the question you are asking.  Many others have learned this on here the hard way.  Good luck to you and you are a good man for spending time/coaching your son.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: