Notifications

High School Fundraisers  

RSS

JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
July 8, 2020 10:59 am  

This is for high school coaches.

Seems to me there are major differences in program funding from school to school. One program has a large benefactor the other school can not afford helmets. So to make of for these shortages for the poorer school they use a fundraiser to raise capital. I have seen a few ideas on here about ways to raise money, but I am looking for net dollars. Last year we did discount cards and raised 20K. There was little effort besides asking businesses for support. I think this is an effective fundraiser. Any other fundraisers you think are effective? I would like to start a fundraiser that runs more like a tradition vs a one off. 

Hope you are all ok. Anybody check on DOF? He is our most senior on here? 

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

Topic Tags
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 8, 2020 12:22 pm  

Here's something we did in my hockey org. King Soopers (Krogers) gift cards. We had an arrangement to buy $100 gift cards from the local grocery store.  These could only be used at the grocery store.  The hockey org got 10% back.  The selling point is that people have to buy groceries anyway, so why not do it in a way that benefits the org.  The challenge is that someone has to manage it. They have to take orders for the cards, collect money, purchase and distribute the gift cards.  This goes on over a season, so the potential to raise money is there. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
July 17, 2020 1:22 pm  

This is a great idea. We have a Kroger around here.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
July 23, 2020 9:12 pm  

We completed a golf outing fundraiser. Lots of effort for about 2K. Not sure its worth all the time. 30 parents staffed for 6 hours. 4 players at each hole thanking the participants.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
August 31, 2020 2:51 pm  

I'm a little late to the game here.  A number of years ago I was involved with starting a new program from scratch, managing/administering it, coaching and making sure that it was sustainable.

Probably the biggest challenge at any level is getting people involved who are willing to donate their time in order to fundraise.  When I was in high school there was a "boosters club", other places call it the "quarterback club".  It's basically parents who usually have student athletes who are participating in the program and therefore, the parents have a vested interest in the success of the program.

A quick couple ideas for fundraisers:

RAFFLES
-Our conference used to do a vacation raffle.  I think that the cost of the vacation ended up being something like $5000.  This cost was divided up among the participating programs.  I think there were about 20 in our conference so the out of pocket cost was something like $250.  Tickets sold for $5 each so if an association sold 50 tickets, they'd hit break even.  I spent many days out in front of grocery stores selling these tickets for $5.  A bad day was usually around $500 and great days were $1500 and often included donations.

There are some variations you could do on this.  You could get donations from local businesses by way of goods or services (i.e. a large dumpster, a new game console, etc.) and raffle these off.

The T-Shirt Idea
-Go to a local shop that makes t-shirts.  Let them know you're a non-profit or affiliated with a school program and ask for their pricing on custom t-shirts.  It's been a number of years since I've done this but usually it's well under $10 per shirt and you might get a discount from the shop for non-profit / education.  Ask local businesses to "sponsor" the program by kicking in a monetary donation like $500 per sponsor.  The exchange is #1-their logo will go on the back of the shirts along with other businesses.  #2-this donation is usually tax deductible #3-their brand will be seen around town for longer than running an ad in a magazine, on the radio etc.

Now if you only secure 1 sponsor if you ran off say 20 shirts at $10 each, you're up by $300...but you're going to secure as many sponsors as you can fit on a shirt and you're going to run off maybe 100 shirts...which you'll also sell.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
Share: