RSS

Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
August 23, 2019 1:13 pm  

But again, there was a mess to be cleaned up.  (Angry dad confronting coach after game.) In the future, I wouldn't issue a uni to anyone who isn't eligible.

We had a Varsity scrimmage, last week.  I was told no JV RBs were going to play.  Both the HC and OC were in agreement on this.  I relayed the info to the JV RBs.  When I arrived at the scrimmage, I see two of my JV RBs in full gear.  They tell me they were told to dress.  By who, I have no idea.  So I tell them they'll play.  I'm not going to have them dress, ride the bus, with their parents in attendance at an out of town scrimmage for them not to get reps.  But I was angry because it was supposed to be a Varsity scrimmage for the Varsity players.  If I hadn't gotten them in the game, they wouldn't have played, yet I didn't want them there in the first place.  That's messed up.

--Dave

Same.. we had our first scrimmage last night.  5 kids would not play.  They did not dress.  If they aint gonna play, they aint wearing full gear.  If he is dressed, spectators think there is a shot he will play.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
August 23, 2019 1:46 pm  

I was pretty upset last Fall when some of the Freshmen that we coached in youth never touched the field. After having a lot of conversations with players, coaches and parents, I've come to realize that a lot of "my" guys who never played were the ones that didn't make the weight room a habit and missed a lot of practices.

Tyler was going into his second year as the varsity starting QB, a player who rides the bench asked Tyler why he worked so hard and tries so hard. He told Tyler "you already have the starting spot, you don't have to try so hard".

Tyler told him "It was never about getting a starting spot"

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
(@_53_)
Copper
August 24, 2019 10:00 am  

If they meet the standards to dress, they play in a JV game.

That's the whole point of freshman and JV games.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
August 25, 2019 8:47 am  

Do we have any HS header’s on the board?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 25, 2019 8:53 am  

Josh, does "former" count?  😉

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
August 25, 2019 2:35 pm  

yes, both current and former

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
August 25, 2019 2:50 pm  

Josh, does "former" count?  😉

--Dave

Of course it counts! So we have 2 current or former HC’s. I was just curious.

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
August 26, 2019 12:03 pm  

Im pretty sure there are more than 2 of us

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
August 26, 2019 12:48 pm  

I was pretty upset last Fall when some of the Freshmen that we coached in youth never touched the field. After having a lot of conversations with players, coaches and parents, I've come to realize that a lot of "my" guys who never played were the ones that didn't make the weight room a habit and missed a lot of practices.

Last week one of our local teams had their season opener for one of their fall sports.  The varsity team has 4 seniors, 1 junior, 5 sophs and 1 freshman.  The coach called up a couple additional juniors and 3 additional freshman to sit during the varsity match.  Probably for the illusion of seeming like a bigger team and/or to play in garbage time if it came about.  The coach has been a very straightforward guy so far, so I would tend to assume things were explained to these additional players and it was understood that they were not going to be normal rotational players.  The match was very intense and our local team pulled out a major comeback victory.

Apparently the next day, 1 or more of the freshman was talking crap about how it was dumb to be placed on the team and not even play in the match. These players had not practiced once with the varsity throughout the preseason nor had they appeared in any varsity scrimmages.  They are the more skilled underclassmen and are being given the opportunity to sit with varsity, maybe play here and there if the game is not too close and just take in the experience.  Fast forward a day later to their next match and one of the freshman (apparently the most vocal of the bunch) has been replaced by another one to sit the bench on varsity.  Varsity wins in convincing fashion and one of the FR gets in the game towards the end and actually makes a nice play and the whole team was pumped for her.

More than one way to get yourself into the varsity coach's doghouse.  ;D ::)

ReplyQuote
yoshi football
(@yoshi-football)
Copper
August 26, 2019 5:04 pm  

We had a blow out on a JV game and several kids did not see the field. A few parents were pissed because "why not" play the reserves.

When do you play the reserves and why? Do you keep the Qb in to add to his experience or bring in someone who has put in the time and may not see steady PT through out the season?

Thanks Guy!

JV prepare young player for varsity.  All play.  Prepare.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
August 27, 2019 1:05 pm  

JV in our school is just rep time. They do not practice as a unit. They work with varsity and on JV game day they take all the Juniors that are not varsity starters and get them reps. IT is not organized or fluid. Not sure if this is the standard practice for highschool, but I think you would want to be organized and make the reps a higher quality experience.

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
September 2, 2019 9:38 am  

6 min left in final quarter I make sure everyone has played. JV is about developing kids.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: