RSS

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
March 13, 2020 10:46 am  

This one kinda took me by surprise, but upon looking for an extra coach for next season I had a mom show interest.

I've known her for several years now and I , from what I know of her, think she would do a great job. The fact that she is a woman really doesn't matter to me, but I wonder how 12 year old boys may respond.

Anybody have any experience on this one? The wife and I are going to go have dinner with her and her husband and I will be explaining my vision to her and the expectations (demands) I have for my coaches. Just wondering if any of you have gone down this road???

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 13, 2020 11:28 am  
Posted by: @rpatric

The fact that she is a woman really doesn't matter to me, but I wonder how 12 year old boys may respond.

Anybody have any experience on this one? The wife and I are going to go have dinner with her and her husband and I will be explaining my vision to her and the expectations (demands) I have for my coaches. Just wondering if any of you have gone down this road???

I've never coached with a female.  However, I've had some great Team Mom's who brought as much to the table as any male coach.  I wouldn't have a problem with the fact that she was female.  I'd only have a problem with her if she were inept.  Does she have her coach's voice?  If not, can she find one?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
March 13, 2020 11:59 am  

@coachdp

Up to this point I only know her as a friend.
She is definitely intelligent and capable of teaching once I bring her up to speed on what WE do.

She has never coached before, but is at every practice and has always been engaged. I have no reason to believe that she isn't capable of being and effective coach.

This is just one possibility, I still have to sit with her and explain our philosophy and level of devotion expected from a coach on my staff. The other coaches will be on board, their not a holes. My biggest challenge may be the players. I don't know how a 12 year old perceives a woman in this environment. That will take some preparation from me.

She is definitely capable of having a coaching voice. She is a strong woman, I wouldn't waste time entertaining this if I didn't think she could do it.

Ryan

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 13, 2020 12:58 pm  

@coachdp

Up to this point I only know her as a friend.

--Uh huh. 🙄 

My biggest challenge may be the players. I don't know how a 12 year old perceives a woman in this environment.

--I don't think her credibility (or lack of) will have anything to do with the fact that she's female.  Her credibility will come from her having credibility.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
March 13, 2020 1:06 pm  

@coachdp

Meaning her son has been playing with us for 3 years and we have a solid relationship. Not sure if that line was misunderstood.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
March 13, 2020 2:13 pm  

This one kinda took me by surprise, but upon looking for an extra coach for next season I had a mom show interest.

I've known her for several years now and I , from what I know of her, think she would do a great job. The fact that she is a woman really doesn't matter to me, but I wonder how 12 year old boys may respond.

In my League you can take a team at the 2nd grade level and stay with that same team thru the 8th grade. 

Twice I have coached against a team where the Header was a woman. The fact they kept coming back year after year tells me there were no issues. Both of these teams were competitive. I think that is all that matters. There is anywhere from 15-20 Orgs in our League every year. Oddly both of these lady Headers came from the same Org...about 10 years apart. 

So...an AC Lady Coach IMHO would be a non issue. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
March 13, 2020 2:38 pm  

If she wants to actually coach and not just be a glorified Team Mom then I am all for it.

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
March 13, 2020 5:21 pm  

I've coached with a female coach the past 4 years and thought it was great.  She actually helped with the o-line and probably knew the blocking rules better than the other o-line coaches.  It was also a nice balance to have her around.  I knew that when she was getting on the kids that I was justified in doing the same.  😀 

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
March 13, 2020 6:40 pm  

I appreciate all the feedback coaches! She is definitely not looking to be a glorified Team Mom. She is however very organized and volunteering to help with my event planning so that is great! They are without question one of my favorite families and some of my biggest supporters.

When my HC made us stop doing Enduro last season, she actually asked why the hell we stopped! 

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
March 13, 2020 8:55 pm  

Greetings

We had a mom join our coaching staff last season.   She thought she knew something about the game.... She's a football mom, from a football family.  Seemed to think listening to the talking heads covering College and Pro games most of her life, had taught her the game.  She quickly found out otherwise..   By the 2nd practice she stated she never realized how much there was to it.  We coached her, gave her assignments, she was helpful.  Mostly she learned, and she'll be back this season (her son is one of our returners) I think we'll have a nice pay off on the investment this coming season.  

Once she realized how little she knew, and how much there was to learn (only took 2 days) she became that blank slate for us to coach up the way we want coaching done.  She was a good student last season, and very helpful in the assignments we gave her.  This year, we expect she'll be a pretty good coach and we didn't have to break her of bad habits, overcome the "Well, this is the way we did it in H.School..." and so forth.

She was coachable, and that's a lot more than I can say about a lot of Dads. 

This post was modified 4 months ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
March 14, 2020 1:35 am  

The club I coach in currently has one I know of, and I saw one who appeared to be head coach of one of the teams in another club in our league.  The club I coached in before this one had one who started in the flag division and graduated to tackle, and had some more starting in the flag division.  My contact with all of them has been only casual, but since they were still around last I knew I figure their experience couldn't've been too bad.

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
March 28, 2020 11:49 pm  

As with all things in life, most people notice "differences" and may react differently the first couple of days. I.E. a woman coaching instead of the usual man. All that outer-surface things usually wear out by 3-4 days (What was once different is no longer different...) then that's when the real stuff happens/matter. Does this coach care about me? Does this coach know their stuff? Do I relate to this coach? etc...

ReplyQuote
Share: