How big is the high...

Notifications
Clear all

How big is the high school that the kids you coach will attend?

Page 3 / 3

pirate1590
(@pirate1590)
Copper

Went to a Catholic high school in the early 90s and yep a ton of recruiting. Public schools do so to-Stone Bridge High School where Jon Allen is notorious for doing so

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Our kids feed into many high schools and now with the passing of free transfer they can go anywhere they want. Our kids primarily feed into 3 schools though. One of them being Joe's school and Joe's rival school. The other being a school where our President is a coach on the staff. They are all the largest classification I believe. I know Joe's school and his rival school is for sure.

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

Our public school is around 2500, alternatively he could go to Don Bosco, but I have 8 years until I have to worry about that!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Our public school is around 2500, alternatively he could go to Don Bosco, but I have 8 years until I have to worry about that!

You live in Jersey?

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

You live in Jersey?

Yessir but I was being sarcastic about Don Bosco, that's a good ways north.  Im more centrally located.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Yessir but I was being sarcastic about Don Bosco, that's a good ways north.  Im more centrally located.

Bosco will let you play regardless of where you are from.  😀 The private schools in NJ have ruined hs ball in NJ. I went to TR South years ago. They had a darn good football program back in the day. Fell apart from what I understand. I hear some of the dominant wrestling programs are not what they used to be either. Phillipsburg and Highlands Regional used to own wrestling in NJ(well, mix in Voorhees, Eastern, Long Branch and a few others). Not so much anymore from what I was told.

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

Bosco will let you play regardless of where you are from.  😀 The private schools in NJ have ruined hs ball in NJ. I went to TR South years ago. They had a darn good football program back in the day. Fell apart from what I understand. I hear some of the dominant wrestling programs are not what they used to be either. Phillipsburg and Highlands Regional used to own wrestling in NJ(well, mix in Voorhees, Eastern, Long Branch and a few others). Not so much anymore from what I was told.

Ya, big changes.  I went to Eustace, so we recruited.  But I wrestled against Highland and Paulsboro.  Boro is still big, Highland lost out to Timber Creek.  Up my way, Bound Brook, I think was able to get all the best wrestlers even though they aren't private.  They get some weird deal about taking kids in that cant get offered certain classes or something at their home high school.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Ya, big changes.  I went to Eustace, so we recruited.  But I wrestled against Highland and Paulsboro.  Boro is still big, Highland lost out to Timber Creek.  Up my way, Bound Brook, I think was able to get all the best wrestlers even though they aren't private.  They get some weird deal about taking kids in that cant get offered certain classes or something at their home high school.

TR South back in the 70's and early 80's could of competed against the best Pa teams. They were that good. Then TR East came along and the wrestling power in the area became TRE. Then Brick Memorial became really good as well. At least in that area. Phillipsburg was just unbelievable though. No idea how The Shore stands nowadays. Haven't been back up in years.

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

Are you in Hillsborough? If you are , we've got to get together  before the season starts up.  i'm in Flemington.

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

They did the same thing down here with the class availability for years. It was how many programs built there teams. Now they literally let the kids go wherever they want. Creating a total shit show.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

They did the same thing down here with the class availability for years. It was how many programs built there teams. Now they literally let the kids go wherever they want. Creating a total shit show.

They have always been able to go anywhere. Now it is just out in the open and legal.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

They have always been able to go anywhere. Now it is just out in the open and legal.

Kids always had a choice. And it was legal. Most districts allowed the kids a choice between 2 or 3 schools. Now, as long as they can get to a school, they can go. The illegal recruiting wasn't tolerated much around here. Most of the time, the illegal stuff involved a coach talking to a youth kid and getting him to go to his school. At least around here. We have 3 public high schools in PSL and another on the edge of Ft Pierce that kids can go to. Almost all of the kids in town could choose from at least 2 and usually 3 of them. Now they can choose between any of the 4. Recruiting didn't involve kids going somewhere they weren't supposed to like you hear in some big time programs. Just coaches talking to players when they shouldn't be.

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

Are you in Hillsborough? If you are , we've got to get together  before the season starts up.  i'm in Flemington.

Nice, we usually play you guys!  I am in the boro.  Shoot me a note, I try to get to know more of the local team coaches.

ReplyQuote
Lance
(@lance)
Copper

Our kids feed into several high schools that are either 6A or 5A with enrollments of:

The Woodlands 4300
College Park      2850
Oak Ridge        3900
Magnolia          2000

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

We are in Frisco, TX, and we have 9 high schools all designated as 5A schools (second largest designation). Registration is around 2000 to 2400 kids at each school, 9-12.

Some of the schools are worried about their football programs because of the demographics, some are very heavily attended (one school at 60%) by Southwest Asians.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: