How big of a role d...

Notifications
Clear all

How big of a role does seniority play in your organization?

Page 1 / 2

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

I ask this question because sometimes the coaches who coach the younger kids demand stuff like, “they should go first for equipment handouts”, they should get a choice piece of real estate in regards to practice field” , "if it rains they get first crack at going indoors"and so on.

I have been coaching here for 8 years and it has always been based on seniority, starting with 8th grade on down.  8th graders get equipment first, 8th graders get their choice of the practice space allotted to our program, and 8th graders always came before a 2nd grader or flag, ALWAYS.  Kind of like high school, varsity gets first crack at everything, than JV and lastly freshmen.

Does everyone do it this way?  Just curious because we have some newer coaches coaching younger kids starting to rock the boat a bit.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

8th graders get equipment first, 8th graders get their choice of the practice space allotted to our program, and 8th graders always came before a 2nd grader or flag, ALWAYS.

Equipment was handed out alphabetically, A-Z or Z-A.  For instance, from 9-10am we would issue equipment for last names A-G.  From 10-11am, it was for H-N, etc.  As for field location, you took what area you wanted.  We never had issues about who had what part of the practice field.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Who ever the board likes the most at the time.  ::) I believe in seniority.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Equipment was handed out alphabetically, A-Z or Z-A.  For instance, from 9-10am we would issue equipment for last names A-G.  From 10-11am, it was for H-N, etc.  As for field location, you took what area you wanted.  We never had issues about who had what part of the practice field.

--Dave

Coach,

I think because we are a small program with some older equipment, it has always been 8th grade gets first shot at all the equipment, so we always went by grade, 8th down to flag.

As far as the field, as noted, we have limited space so the 8th graders always got to pick what side of they wanted and 7th grade picked the other with 6th grade getting the middle while the other grades fought for space in the outfield.  Reason being, goal post and the need for more space for the bigger kids.  Many times the 8th graders pick the side closest to the shed and parking lot.

As far as using the one school gym available to us when it rains, I recall when I coached 3rd grade I requested the one gym we can use from our league sec at around 9 AM for our 6:00 practice, I get a call from our president at 5:30 saying the 8th graders need the gym so I was bumped.  LOL.  I was pissed, but playing 3 sports in high school and 2 in college taught me that seniority rules, so I didn't complain.  Now we got some young guns trying to rock the boat and shake things up a bit so I am ready to go off at our next meeting.

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

We do things a little differently. The Athletic Director and myself assign where the teams practice on the practice field. We normally put the Tiny Mites & Mighty Mites on the part of the field closest to the bathrooms and our facilities. Then its Jr. Pee Wee, Pee Wee, Jr. Midget and Midgets. Tiny Mites and Mighty Mites get the part of the practice field that has no permanent light towers. As they usually end practice earlier than the older teams. But we do have a rental company that provides us portable towers to light their area.

As for equipment hand out. We have the little guys go first during the morning that we issue equipment. We try to get them in and out. We dont want them waiting behind other groups as they are usually the ones that are toughest for us to fit. So if we'll start at 9am with the Tiny Mites and have the next team slotted to come in 45 minutes to an hour after that.

We dont really buy into the seniority thing when it comes to the practice field spots or equipment hand out. We are one organization and no part of it should feel that it is more entitled than another. We do give the older teams more room on the practice field but thats about it.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

2 years ago we almost had to forfeit our first game because we got our pads so late in the season. By rule you have to have a certain amount of practices hours in pads in order to scrimmage or play a game. We got them just in time. A large part of it was that the youngest groups got their pads first and we got ours last. I have no idea why our group went last. New helmets had to be ordered. How they didn't know they didn't have enough helmets is beyond me, they said a bunch of the little guys had big heads. The youngest groups do not have playoffs or keep records so I feel, based on that experience, that the youngest should go last. We lost over 2 weeks of contact practice due to that mess. The largest amount of practice space should go to the older groups without question and the older groups should not practice next to the little guys for safety reasons. The older groups also need access to goal post.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Rob

Every place I have coached it was always by seniority. Since I usually coached the oldest team I thought it was great. You would think that with your HC's record you would have had a little clout. I think it's important to establish tradition, but sometimes when a new board takes over they manipulate things in their child's interests. The important lesson to me is always learning to respect the teams at the next level, or to set a good example for those coming after you.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

You would think that with your HC's record you would have had a little clout.

I agree Joe.  But in our case, clout is gained by how hard you work and your commitment to the org.  So if you want the commish to see things your way, put in the necessary work so that you are rewarded as such.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

Older ages issued equipment first else if we did it youngest to oldest we'd often find that the young ones took equipment that was too big for them and we'd be out of sizes the older ones needed by the end of the day and have to reclaim. I'd prefer to fit the young ones first and just fit them correctly because fitting helmets w/ them can take quite a bit of time, I usually drive around in my truck for the first week or so with extra helmets (sizes/models) plus a full assortment of ear pads, those little ones have some odd shaped heads and what fit at equipment hand out doesn't seem to fit after a couple of practices for 1 or 2 each year. Plus there is no AC in the equipment room (August) and our patience has worn a bit thin by the last group.

Practice area assignment goes in order as well w/ the youngest being the furthest away from the equipment trailer which I have asked to reverse since typically the youngest use the most equipment and while it's fun to watch a 6 year old haul a tackling dummy 100 yards I'd rather be right next to the trailer.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Rob

Every place I have coached it was always by seniority. Since I usually coached the oldest team I thought it was great. You would think that with your HC's record you would have had a little clout. I think it's important to establish tradition, but sometimes when a new board takes over they manipulate things in their child's interests. The important lesson to me is always learning to respect the teams at the next level, or to set a good example for those coming after you.

Joe

Joe,
We have talked about the issues at PSL. They added a new board member who coached with us in 2011 and he is actually making some changes that make sense. He is the ONLY football person on that board. PSL is in huge trouble with a mass exodus of coaches(probably 30-40% of all coaches) and lower numbers as the coaches take kids with them. They usually had kids lined up for hours. This year I heard there was almost no line at all. Jeff would never ask for preferential treatment but would also not expect to be thrown the scraps as we often were. 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I agree Joe.  But in our case, clout is gained by how hard you work and your commitment to the org.  So if you want the commish to see things your way, put in the necessary work so that you are rewarded as such.

--Dave

Dave,
  Jeff did more for that association than any other person in its history. He brought it from the worst association in the conference to the best. And they still treated him like crap. Any change he tried to make was always met with huge resistance. The board has its own agenda that has nothing to do with helping young kids play football.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Jeff did more for that association than any other person in its history. He brought it from the worst association in the conference to the best. And they still treated him like crap.

Not surprised.  Many orgs take for granted what they have and couldn't distinguish those that give the most from those who give the least.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Rob

Joe

Thus many of the older coaches in our program, like myself, seen boards or DADS try to manipulate the system to benefit their own kids or teams and boy oh boy did it lead to drama and fights that almost ripped our league in two.  Thus, many of us go by the golden rule of seniority, in many cases it is hard to argue.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Not surprised.  Many orgs take for granted what they have and couldn't distinguish those that give the most from those who give the least.

--Dave

I agree 100%.  We have maybe 6-7 guys who do everything in our program, we do it by the bylaws and we do it for the kids and now and than you get the young guns with no coaching experince or experince on how things are run trying to change everything without having a clue.

Honestly, I have a few more years left and looking at the younger coaches below me, i am VERY worried for the future of our program. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I have a few more years left and looking at the younger coaches below me, i am VERY worried for the future of our program.

Youth programs are often very fragile and are usually one beam away from falling apart.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: