Page 7 / 7
  RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 16, 2020 10:26 am  
Posted by: @coyote
Posted by: @coachdp

"We are not a win at all costs organization."  That is the built-in excuse for failure.

Interesting this would come up now...   Talking with my HC the other night, he mentioned a mom from the other team in the championship consoling her kid, saying, "[Our team] cheats, ... just chasing trophies."    

We wondered what we did that might be considered cheating, and why playing to win the trophy was considered a bad thing, esp. in light of the bad behavior my her son's coaches, their illegal practices, and post-game parking fracas between those coaches and their fans. If her team wasn't chasing the trophy why was the kid upset at losing it?  HC said he didn't get the sense that she was concerned over her son's team averaging over 44 pts a game against the rest of the league; some of those games being shut-outs.   Hmmm.... 

Lomabardi said something along the lines of...   "We strive for perfection, knowing perfection is beyond human achievement, but in the pursuit of perfection we might just catch excellence." 

If there's a trophy out there, I want my kids to know what it's like to strive for it, to earn it, and enjoy the feeling of having won it the right way.

Amen, brother.  We had a Spring rival that we never lost to when I was on the staff. They were an absolute machine. The last year we played against them, they ran the table 7-0. They put up some unreal scores along the way.

We finished 7-1 and another team finished 6-1. Don't ask. We assumed that we would be the 3rd seed and play in the 3/4 bowl game. Our rival went to work on the league and convinced them that because our winning percentage was higher than the 6-1 team, we should be in the 1/2 game. They wanted us BAD. Well, be careful what you ask for because we won.

After the game, the cops came because their parents were chanting "CHEATERS!" and one of our mom's didn't appreciate it. Big mom brawl in the parking lot.

It got back to us that our rival players were telling everyone in school that we cheated because we had 2 Asians on the team and the guy running the league is Asian.

Then again, they could have just let us play in the 3/4 game.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
October 16, 2020 1:46 pm  

@gumby_in_co we were accused of cheap shots, trying to injure our opponents, targeting etc.  Sometimes we pulled flags that I thought were unfair.  My AC was a hot-headed guy.  I was normally the voice of reason.  During one game, we ran a counter.  My motion wing faked receiving a toss, took off down the field and absolutely annihilated a kid who was about as far away from the play as he could have possibly been.  It was a clean hit, it wasn't in the back or below the waist.  The wingback didn't charge the defender with his helmet or any sort of nonsense....Flag came out and the call was something about "Defenseless Defender."  Huh?  This time it was me who lost my cool.  On any given offensive play, I want a minimum of 11 hits on 11 defenders.  Initially I was going to say 10 hits on 10 defenders and the ball carriers job is to carry the ball...but truth be told, if my back has a chance to run a defender over, I want him to take it.  I came close to being ejected that day because I told my WB in no uncertain terms to keep doing what he's doing.  Referee said something and it was that rare case of me not knowing when to just shut up and leave it alone.

Another thought that I just had here...is it's usually the teams who think they stand some sort of chance who get the most upset about losing.  The teams that are losing are the ones to complain about bad calls.  We played a game where one of our DT's had a field day with the QB and RB's of the opposition, he slapped the ball out of their hands in the backfield over and over again and the referee kept giving them the ball back.  I thought that was unfair, had it all on video but I kept my mouth shut because I knew that it would have zero impact on the W.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
October 16, 2020 1:49 pm  

I think when a league states "they are not a win at all costs league" it could mean "we're just letting you know that we're going to get pummeled every week."  But on the other hand, it could mean "we are not like most teams, our coaches do not play the best 6 players the entire game and and then rotate 15 players in the other 5 spots all game."   There's a big difference.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 16, 2020 5:18 pm  
Posted by: @chucknduck

I think when a league states "they are not a win at all costs league" it could mean "we're just letting you know that we're going to get pummeled every week."  But on the other hand, it could mean "we are not like most teams, our coaches do not play the best 6 players the entire game and and then rotate 15 players in the other 5 spots all game."   There's a big difference.

So if the organization posts it everywhere with zero follow up, then takes zero interest in how coaches run their teams, which category do you think they fall in?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 16, 2020 5:19 pm  
Posted by: @prodigy

My motion wing faked receiving a toss, took off down the field and absolutely annihilated a kid who was about as far away from the play as he could have possibly been.  It was a clean hit, it wasn't in the back or below the waist.  The wingback didn't charge the defender with his helmet or any sort of nonsense....Flag came out and the call was something about "Defenseless Defender."  Huh?   

Did the defensive player see the hit coming? That's an important distinction.

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
October 16, 2020 5:34 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co
Posted by: @chucknduck

So if the organization posts it everywhere with zero follow up, then takes zero interest in how coaches run their teams, which category do you think they fall in?

The one that plays the best six kids all game and still gets pummeled every week.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
October 16, 2020 10:29 pm  

@gumby_in_co I can’t say for sure, anymore than I think a ref could.
Does a trapped tackle see that guard pulling into his ear hole?  If a LB is playing zone, and reading the QB and gets a helmet under his chin because his head isn’t on a swivel is that defenseless?

I guess I just think it’s silly to say a defender, who by definition is to defend...could be defenseless.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 17, 2020 12:52 am  

@prodigy

Section 21 ART. 16 . . . A defenseless player is a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to
injury. A player who initiates contact against a defenseless player is responsible for making legal contact. When in question, a player is defenseless.

This is a big one for me and was a point of emphasis going into 2018.. I've always taught that we don't hit anyone who doesn't see it coming. You get in his way, but you don't hit him. Around here, no one seems to be familiar with this rule and I've seen near fistfights over TDs called back for unnecessary hits away from the play. In this case you couldn't see if the kid was defenseless or not, but apparently the ref did.

I called out a play in Wednesday's practice because I saw him blindside a player (a dirty player, BTW) that had zero chance of affecting a play. We don't play that way. If we want to hit someone, we do it while looking them in the eye.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
October 17, 2020 8:50 am  

@gumby_in_co it’s a slippery slope.
As I said originally I want 11 hits on 11 defenders...

let’s say it was on the opposite side of the field, play broke, RB came towards a defender, defender hits him and injures the RB...going to wish we had a block there.

Back when I played HS ball, we sucked so bad and I was so frustrated that I wanted to injure my opponents.  I know...not classy at all.  I was a stupid high school kid.

did I injure anybody?  No, thank the heavens.  Plays develop so quickly, things are so dynamic that it’s extremely challenging to plan out a hit.

Now if we go back to the defender who isn’t paying attention (maybe watching the play) and he gets hit by an offensive player...I expect that I’m not a good enough coach to eliminate confusion and apprehension among my players with regards to this rule.

it’s not that we are going out of our way to ignore or break rules, it’s similar to what happens occasionally when the tight end Superman’s and the center blocks back side...sometimes sometimes sometimes we pull a flag for a chop. Do we teach the chop?  No.  We let the players know the rules.  We don’t want chop blocks but they happen periodically by accident.  When the stars align.  

with regards to far away defenders...I only recall pulling a flag once, so it’s not as though we were the team head hunting defenseless defenders. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 17, 2020 11:51 am  

If you go to the 3:03 mark in the video below, you'll see a good example of a play that was legal at the time, but is illegal now (the "defenseless player" rule).

Don't know what the apology is for.  When I click the "Watch on Vimeo" button, I can see the vid fine.  

There are no privacy settings on it. 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 17, 2020 12:06 pm  
Posted by: @prodigy

it’s not as though we were the team head hunting defenseless defenders.

Nor we.  First of all, our "Invisible Offense" approach to our defensive philosophy solved that issue for us on defense.

Offensively, it's difficult to find a defender who isn't in a position to see a block.  Does it happen?  Rarely.  As a matter of fact, it's so rare that if I had other examples on my videos, I'd have had more clips of it taking place because it was legal then.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
October 17, 2020 2:20 pm  

@coachdp video loaded for me...I’ve watched those highlights many times.

I think there’s much to be said about hits like that.  We’ve discussed it before...generally defenders have a mentality that they are the hunters and the guy with the ball is their prey.  When you’ve got an offense firing on all cylinders and you’ve bored out that block and everything is align honed, blueprinted and well lubricated...and you’re throwing blocks like that, the mental impact, especially at the youth level cannot be underestimated.

Put a defender on his butt like that and it’s going to slow him down.  It’s like in boxing, knockouts from shots to the body are rare...but body shots wear down your opponent, eventually they’ll have trouble breathing, they’ll put more effort into blocking the body and will open up their head.

I don’t want my defenders worried about blocks like that...they suck, they slow down a defensive reaction. But shots like that change ones enthusiasm for not paying attention.  

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 19, 2020 1:06 pm  

10/17/2020 Game Update

H is now a tough guy. Worked his way into a starting spot and is a legit contributor at DT. I expect him to have a big day vs a Cisar UBSW team.

S is getting there. I saw a play where we swept to his side (he was at Y) and he didn't even throw an angry look at the DE. So I thought, "here we go", but after watching film, this was 1 play out of 40 or so. He blocked against some tough customers. Defensively, I didn't see him shy away, and he didn't look too bad as a force player. Even got in on a few tackles.

P was a no show to the game. No idea why.

This post was modified 3 days ago by gumby_in_co

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7
Share: