Clear all

How do you Build Culture?

Page 2 / 2

Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

ANYTHING that is considered team building and I am all in. 

The last few years we have traveled to scrimmage one team in particular. Their field is about 6 blocks from a DQ. I happen to know the manager so I give her a heads up and at 7:30 she closes the lobby portion of the store and we take over. Free anything for everyone. Its mayhem....sweet beautiful mayhem. We have a very generous sponsor that covers that $500 bill. One season we made the trip twice.  

I also will do at least one early season pot luck after practice. Couldn't do it last year due to COVID. First time it didn't happen in probably 20 years. 

Banquets must be blowout type Events. Anything less is simply not worth it. Last year we co-op'd with another team and rented an entire indoor mini golf arcade facility. We had to wait until the end of January due to COVID but it happened and the kids had a blast while the parents felt COVID safer. 

Hiring a team photographer is a must and have a designated film guy for each game. At the time its seems unimportant and excessive but in 10-20 years it will be like gold to every player. Every player gets a copy....used to be all VHS...then DVD....now thumb drive.  This is money VERY WELL SPENT and now quite a bit less expensive than the old days. I typically luck out and find a College kid in school to take the pictures. A parent films. We supply the camera. Im an archive everything Coach because I have run into enough former players...some with young   families of their own that mention this.  

Stuff like this makes each season a bit more memorable IMHO and has nothing to do with X' and O's but is all part of the atmosphere. I have also learned its rather painless to find sponsors to cover these costs.  Door to door never works....selling candy bars....forget that chit...work your own Network and you will be surprised. People are more than willing to do it for the kids. Just have to ask them and most will become  repeat sponsors every year. I have one sponsor who is on year 15. 

Sounds like you're all about the food! 😀 

I think that making a connection is certainly important. I am certainly guilty of being a "all business" type of guy. I need to learn how to make better connections while doing business too. 

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coach-kyle

One of the things I remember, I think it was from DP, they would have the kids gather their A papers all week, and then they'd show it off in a group meeting. They'd read off their name and make some noise for them. I'm trying to think of a better way to signify it. I know Dave has a trophy. I think I'm looking for something more symbolic. I want people to value education for the uses of it. I want to think about how to symbolize that and promote it.

We did a framed certificate (and a banquet presentation), an engraved trophy (and a school presentation), as well as a DVD.  In high school, we deleted the trophy and added a dry-fit.  

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coach-kyle

Sounds like you're saying that to achieve a good culture you need buy in from the stakeholders (parents, players, and directors). It also sounds like you're saying that having a well defined approach is important to gaining that buy in. 

To establish a consistent culture from the ground up, the stakeholders have to know what's expected (Who/When/What/Why/How/Where?). With this approach, neither parents nor players are "flying blind."  This approach helps them to understand who I am and what's important to me, and I with them.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: