How to handle non-c...

Notifications
Clear all

How to handle non-calls against an inferior opponent

festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  

So last night we played a significantly inferior opponent.  Not from a player-athleticism standpoint, but from coaching.  I'd even say their best athletes were better than ours.  But the game was never close and we won 34-6 taking our foot off the gas and running subs in the second half.  

My question is this.  What's the best way to handle the refs not calling clear, egregious penalties?  I'm talking about my DL being wrapped up and tackled from behind by the OL, clear blocks in the back, hands to the face, late hits.  That sort of thing.  On literally every play.  I get why the refs were letting it go -- the game would never end, and, more importantly, the other team wasn't being coached at all, so they wanted to use it as a chance to coach them up.  

I used it as an opportunity to work on the character aspects of the game with my boys.  I explained to them what was happening and why, and that there will be missed calls in every game.  It's not what happened, but what they do next.  'Answer' them back with more physicality on the next play ... that sort of thing.  They handled it well and never retaliated.  

Would any of you have handled it differently?  This is the last time we'll see this team this season, and none of the rest of our opponents fall into this bucket, so I'm really looking for advice on how to do this in the future.  I mostly just felt bad for the other kids who were being really short changed by the lack of coaching.  

This is 12U for reference.

This topic was modified 2 months ago 2 times by festivus15

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Tyler, I think you handled it as I would have hoped to.  Nothing you can do about the ingrates that masquerade as refs, or the dolts impersonating coaches.  Your only focus can be on your boys and teaching them how to handle adversity and letting them know you have no control over how another team plays or behaves.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  

@coachdp 

Thanks, Dave.  The team was from the next town up the road, and some of their kids were significantly larger than ours.  I'd actually love to coach them and was drooling over a couple of their backs.  It really is a shame for them that they're getting nothing from their coaching.  

I'd prepped my boys before the game that some of this was going to happen, but it was so much worse than I anticipated.  

On the bright side, my team had an opportunity to display their character, and I was able to get a couple of kids scores that hadn't yet this season.  

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We've prepped our kids for late hits by having late hits in practice.  Having shoves to the back in practice and me getting in their face and talking smack to them.  We are teaching them not only what they're likely to see, but to understand how to deal with it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  

@coachdp. I love it. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @festivus15

So last night we played a significantly inferior opponent.  Not from a player-athleticism standpoint, but from coaching.  I'd even say their best athletes were better than ours.  But the game was never close and we won 34-6 taking our foot off the gas and running subs in the second half.  

My question is this.  What's the best way to handle the refs not calling clear, egregious penalties?  I'm talking about my DL being wrapped up and tackled from behind by the OL, clear blocks in the back, hands to the face, late hits.  That sort of thing.  On literally every play.  I get why the refs were letting it go -- the game would never end, and, more importantly, the other team wasn't being coached at all, so they wanted to use it as a chance to coach them up.  

I used it as an opportunity to work on the character aspects of the game with my boys.  I explained to them what was happening and why, and that there will be missed calls in every game.  It's not what happened, but what they do next.  'Answer' them back with more physicality on the next play ... that sort of thing.  They handled it well and never retaliated.  

Would any of you have handled it differently?  This is the last time we'll see this team this season, and none of the rest of our opponents fall into this bucket, so I'm really looking for advice on how to do this in the future.  I mostly just felt bad for the other kids who were being really short changed by the lack of coaching.  

This is 12U for reference.

As a high school official and youth official I'll say this.  Not every thing is scene unless you have a full crew of 6-7 officials.  Generally for our pop Warner we have 3 officials for ages 10 and up and 2 for 9 and under. 

Tackling your defender : not good regardless of the free blocking zone. Bring up to referee between him and the umpire (official behind the defense) they need to call it.  

Block in back : note free blocking zone... And if it's in the area of the play. A black in the back I seldom called behind the play with out a full crew or 2 lines men. 

Hands to the face : note free blocking zone, and previous about where it's taking place 

Late hits : no excuse, bring it up to closest official to the hit, if it's near the play it has to be called as it's a safety issue. If it's away from the play again your at the mercy of the size of officials crew. 

12u I don't hold back calls, these kids are bigger and more capable than say 9u. These officials should to. The only defense I have especially for not seeing your game is where are the officials looking and where did these actions take place. 

If you video your games send it to the league head official with notated time stamps. They love to have video. 

I enjoy having coaches complain to me about missed calls when there's only 3 of us. But then when there's a full crew, there's too many penalties lol. 

You did the best a coach can do. The extra steps might help out other officials you get on notice to call it right regardless of score.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

We actually had an official tell us last week that when the score gets out of hand, he’s calling it differently. It was 28-0 midway through the 3rd in a HS JV game. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @seabass

We actually had an official tell us last week that when the score gets out of hand, he’s calling it differently. It was 28-0 midway through the 3rd in a HS JV game. 

Yes, the issue with games that are blow outs is no one wants to be there too long, you as an official want to keep the game moving while not being overly punishing to the team that's Soo far behind.  Our focus on my crew in those situations is to keep the players safe and game moving especially if there's a running clock. 

When I do jv and youth as a head official I tell them to call it as they see it, but if you call it on the losing team (during a mercy rule game) you better be damn sure it was a clear foul and got a jersey number or I'm waving it off.  Like everything is up to interpretation.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

@bucksweep58 

In our state, the mercy rule doesn’t come into effect until the 4th quarter and the score is 40+. We are playing 12 minute quarters…4 scores with 18 minutes to play isn’t exactly a blow out. There are still a lot of potential possessions left in that game. Especially considering how much the ball gets thrown in most games. 

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  

@bucksweep58 

Thanks for giving me the official's perspective on it.  

I do video, but I'm actually hesitant to send it in.  I was spoke with white hat the several times and he was pretty clear on why they were letting stuff go.  I've actually got a video of him pulling a flag when my DE was tackled from behind, starting to throw it, and then putting it away when we got the tackle for no gain anyway.  Now that I've got a few more days distance from the game, I'm glad I didn't argue w/ him about it... I'd rather keep a good relationship with him for future games.  

ReplyQuote
Share: