Page 1 / 2
  RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 10, 2018 9:17 pm  

So as we sit here at the tail end of the season, we've managed to go 3-0, averaging 34 points per game.  We have two games remaining; a conference game Saturday and a non-conference game the final weekend before the conference championship.  Today, I received this email from the league commissioner: 

"Our friends down east need help with games for Junior PeeWee and PeeWee this week and next week. I should have a better idea tomorrow when I speak to ****** *****. I may ask some of you to travel to Wilmington and they will send teams here. I will find ways to compensate the teams that’s willing to travel. I know it’s asking a lot for you to travel on such short notice but we were very blessed and fortunate to survive the storm. Some of the teams cannot afford to travel. It’s really heart breaking to hear some of the stories from ******. Some of these 5-12 year old kids still do not have homes, clothes and limited food and they still come out to play football to keep their minds occupied."

So we are forgoing our final regular-season game to drive to Wilmington (2 hours southeast) to play a team.  The conference opponent that we were scheduled to play is also going to Wilmington to do the same.

I also received this email, as to their needs:

DONATION LIST

Clothing (Infants to Adults) – Please separate

Shoes (all sizes) – Please separate (men, women, children)

Toiletries (sanitary items, beauty products, soaps, deodorants)

Electronics, appliances, household cleaning products ϖ Bedding (bed linens, blankets, pillows)

Bath towels & wash cloths

Cooking and serving tools for kitchen ϖ Furniture (beds, chairs, tables, refrigerators, washers, dryers)

Non-perishable foods, store gift cards ϖ Bottled Water ϖ Baby diapers and wipes

Baby bottles and sippy cups ϖ Monetary Donations ϖ Everything required for daily living

So our kids, parents and coaches will bring items with us to donate.  All in all, it's been a crazy season due to the weather and other factors.  We've missed out on 3 games.  But here's a great opportunity to teach our kids about giving back, so this is a win.

Our hybrid Jr. PeeWee/PeeWee team is coming around.  As the O-Line Coach, I'm particularly happy with the job we're doing up front.  We have 12 players there and while there's a disparity in talent, there's no disparity in "want-to."  They fight more at practice than any team I've coached and are more aggressive than our defense.  I'm enjoying more the fact that I just get to focus on the O-Line and getting them to play with P.A.I.N!  We don't have 1s and 2s and the rotation of Lines is pretty even.

With all this, they say there's another hurricane on the horizon...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
October 11, 2018 2:55 am  

Dave,

If you have a paypal account or are willing to pick up a moneygram transfer at a Walmart, I would like to send a donation.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 5:37 am  

Wow, that is truly outstanding Nathan.  I will let our players and coaching staff know that you are doing this.  That is really awesome, Sir.  Thank you.

—Dave (PM sent)

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 6:37 am  

Not wanting to embarrass or make Nathan uncomfortable, but he sent a very generous donation.  I had no idea or intention that another coach on the forum would pick up the ball and run with it like this, but it speaks volumes about some of the amazing people on this site that I’ve gotten the opportunity to meet.  Thanks again, Nathan.  The families in Wilmington, North Carolina will appreciate it even more.

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
vikingdw
(@vikingdw)
Copper
October 11, 2018 7:07 am  

Hi Dave. I'm only 40 minutes from Wilmington. Could you send me the location and time your team is playing on Saturday? I'd love to come by and see you guys.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 7:15 am  

Hi Dave. I'm only 40 minutes from Wilmington. Could you send me the location and time your team is playing on Saturday? I'd love to come by and see you guys.

Absolutely.  Once I have time/location I will forward it in a PM.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 8:09 am  

Wow, this is amazing!  Lar (gumby_in_co) made a sizable contribution, as well.  I've called our conference's commissioner to let him know that these coaches have made contributions and that I will be personally responsible in making sure their contributions have been used for hurricane relief in the most effective manner.  This is truly incredible that coaches are so willing to help not just outside their own community, but also for kids they've never met.  I will personally insure that your gifts are contributed in the best possible way.  I feel honored to be a part of this and help oversee the use of your generosity.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 8:11 am  

I've never been a big proponent of PayPal but I can't thank Nathan and Lar enough for doing this!

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 8:12 am  

I will make sure that we document not only how this money is spent, but take pictures along the way to document this journey!

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
October 11, 2018 8:32 am  

Coach DP,

I would like to share this with our " Save Youth Football - Illinois". If I did this, I would have to have a contact or some information for the organizations to contact or donate to. If not, then I will collect from our organization and send. Good luck

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 8:45 am  

Coach DP,

I would like to share this with our " Save Youth Football - Illinois". If I did this, I would have to have a contact or some information for the organizations to contact or donate to. If not, then I will collect from our organization and send. Good luck

Eric, wow.  I will send you a PM from me/our org.  Thank you!  We've got the PayPal thing up and running.  I've just called Wilmington Pop Warner to find out how we're going to distribute these contributions (left a message).  I've called our head coach and let him know what is going on.  He was blown away.  We are going to stay on top of this for the next two weeks and I'll update here what's going on and how it's working.  We will certainly be absolutely transparent about all this.  I think one of the most disappointing aspects of charitable contributions is either not knowing how your contribution is getting used, or what became of it.  That will not happen here.  I'm going to receipt every cent so that you can be assured your contribution was not only worthwhile but also so that you know what became of it.  Thanks again, Eric.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2018 11:37 am  

Mike (bayoubengal) has now joined into the fray with a generous PayPal contribution!  I don't even know Mike except that he hails from Louisiana and he's got a heart for kids.  This is awesome, Mike.  I'll keep you abreast of how your money is spent!  Thank you so much.  This is really amazing...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 12, 2018 6:08 am  

Like so many coaches here, Ryan (JustPlay) has an incredible heart.  We had traded emails back & forth about one of his players who was facing some difficult challenges and it allowed me to see how seriously he took his responsibility to his players.  Ryan has made a contribution that was very special.  I won't go into details, but Ryan you are a blessed man.  Thank you for blessing others.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 12, 2018 6:17 am  

This summer I was giving a clinic in Raleigh that Nathan (Monster) attended.  It was a small clinic for a particular org, although open to anyone.  He drove down from Virginia.  While setting up, I was having all sorts of compatibility issues with my laptop that Nate resolved, thus saving the clinic.  Afterwards, he joined me and two of my other friends for lunch.  We had a really great time.  Not only did Nathan save us that day, he's done it again with a really generous contribution for these Wilmington Pop Warner families.  Thank you Buddy.  It is appreciated.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 12, 2018 6:33 am  

It's interesting because when we were first asked about playing a Wilmington team, we thought it was just a football thing.  But once our conference commish let us know the reason for wanting us to go, and I posted about it here, some really incredible things began to happen.  This is getting to be big.  This is becoming something special.  I've long coached for reasons that had to do with things that were outside of football. But now I'm seeing the importance of that for others.  Men coming forward to help a community that they're not familiar with and kids they've never coached, let alone seen.  It makes me proud to be a part of this interaction, this mission, this opportunity.  But most of all, it makes me proud to know so many guys who are willing to show concern and grace for others.  This is big, guys.  And it's getting bigger.  There's some real momentum being generated here and we're seeing something unique and special.  This is something that we can all be proud of.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: