Clear all

I'm dying of disappointment here...

Page 2 / 3

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Dave your a Rebel!

Scott, if I had a dollar for everytime I've been told that... 😉

When new people come in with new ideas (as is the case with Ken here, and me back in the day with my youth org) there are others who are in a position of power who are threatened by you and your ideas.  Whether Ken decides to recognize these kids publically or privately, he should do so, irregardless.  If Ken is passionate enough about it, sooner or later the right people will hear his voice and will put PRESSURE on those in charge who are saying "no."  I've been called "rebel," "loose cannon" and things not fit to print.  I've been acused of trying to "take over" the youth org, being "power-mad" and a "control freak."  All I know are the results we had with our team: more academic all-americans per capita than any team in the league for 6 years, 8 times the number of academic all-americans on my teams (24%) than the national average of Pop Warner teams (3%), the establishment od a publically and organizationally-recognized academic hall of fame, as well as a group dedicated to raising funds SOLEY for the college scholarships issued by our org.  When our players became competitive in the classroom, they became competitve on the football field. 

We wanted to win, period.  On the field, and off of it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Again thank you all for the positive words of encouragement.  I'm just going to go for broke on this one.  At the end of the day if I upset a bunch of people by trying to make this happen, at least I know in my heart that it was for a good cause.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Pop warner scholastics is huge! Just go on the site...like i said before hit me up

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Judge a man not by his friends, but by his enemies.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I've got to say--

I work in Information Technology and over the years I've been on countless forums of different topics.  Whatever hobbies or interests I've had, I've relied on forums pretty heavily to gather information, insight and opinions on the subject matter.

This is by far the best place that I've ever visited in terms of encouragement and positive mojo.  I've never stumbled upon any other forum where the participants are this helpful and civil.  Kudos to all of you and I really mean that--It probably doesn't mean much but what Coach Wilkins has here is something really special whether you know it or not.

Regards,
Ken

ReplyQuote
coachgs
(@coachgs)
Gold

I've got to say--

I work in Information Technology and over the years I've been on countless forums of different topics.  Whatever hobbies or interests I've had, I've relied on forums pretty heavily to gather information, insight and opinions on the subject matter.

This is by far the best place that I've ever visited in terms of encouragement and positive mojo.  I've never stumbled upon any other forum where the participants are this helpful and civil.  Kudos to all of you and I really mean that--It probably doesn't mean much but what Coach Wilkins has here is something really special whether you know it or not.

Regards,
Ken

Ken, if you have not yet, read this post by coachcalende,
http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php/topic,7758.msg104218.html#msg104218

"Character is formed, not by laws, commands, and decrees, but by quiet influence, unconscious suggestion and personal guidance."
- Marion Burton -

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
Topic starter  

CoachGS-

I read what Coach Calande posted several days ago...it's good stuff.  He's a very motivating and inspirational individual (among many here).

I realized today that I have been walking on eggshells because I was concerned that some of my actions may put my position as a coach in jeopardy, so I've abandoned that attachment.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Not really adding anything that hasn't already been said, but there is a general rule from people in bureacratic authority that it is always far easier to say 'no' than 'yes' to new ideas no matter how good or practical.

I could say, "Can I give all the kids college scholarships to Harvard?"  They would say 'no' or let me think about it and get back to you. 

So my general rule when it comes to new things (within reason) is just to do it and if I get in trouble ask for forgiveness. 

Sometimes I do actually get in trouble.  But I do get things done. 

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
Topic starter  

status update for anyone interested.

I went for broke and emailed the league president asking for a copy of the league rules and also explaining what I'd like to do.  He responded back letting me know that the league does not have any specific rules that they operate on the National Pop Warner rules...hmmm.  He said that he was going to get clarification on individual awards.  I wrote back giving more details on what I'd like to do and also made sure I stressed that INDIVIDUAL AWARDS WERE FOR ACADEMICS ONLY.

Received a call from the president last night.  He said that we can give awards for academics but there are some stipulations or restrictions and he would call me today to go into detail.

So I will sit back and wait for him to call...which I honestly don't expect him to, but at least the ball was set rolling and it gained a little momentum.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Ken,

Keep rattling the cage.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CRM1241
(@crm1241)
Copper

The Pop Warner rule book makes no mention of academic awards. Article 14 focuses solely on awards related to athletics

ARTICLE 14: AWARDS
S1: In compliance with the team concept and in view of the ages
of Pop Warner participants, no participant will be singled
out as “best lineman,” “best offensive back,” “most valuable
player/spirit participant,” etc., for the presentation of a special
award. Such adulation should be given to an athlete after his
Pop Warner days, if he/she justly deserves it by performance
at the High School level. Individual awards may be presented,
but must be given to all team or squad members.

S2-SPECIAL NOTE FOR PLAYERS: Awards for individual
performances displayed on the helmets are prohibited (i.e.,
no stars, hatchets, footballs, etc.). The only decal allowed is
the team logo and/or an official Pop Warner logo.

Our region has an SOP that is used in conjunction with the Pop Warner rulebook. Most of the items are related to administrative tasks, but I can find nothing that extends this rule to academics. I doubt all regions operate the same way, however, so it is possible that they've cooked up something locally. However, if you choose to challenge it you won't be running afoul of any national rules, so that's a point in your favor.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
Topic starter  

We're good.  The President called me yesterday and the first words out of his mouth were "You're an asshole."
Hey, I can accept that.

Long story short, our league operates under national rules.  I guess it's the preference of the current league president that we do not give trophys for academic awards but we can do something else like t-shirts/certificates or something. 

With this new information that is in the national rulebook, I think I'll go ahead and award trophys anyways.  I honestly don't think I'll be handing out too many of them, at least to begin with, so it's not going to cause me to go completely broke.  I'll award a trophy and when I'm told that I can't do that, I'll simply say "I can accept that I cannot do this upon written decleration that it's prohibited by Pop Warner."  If you see where this is going, there are no declarations prohibiting such awards, therefore I'm in the clear...It will upset some people I'm sure but I'm not here to make friends.  If they want a coach that only spends the time on the field, who has no active interest in the players or making the program better...than they don't want me.

Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement on this.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Too bad about the sticker rule. 

I used them for the first time last year more than half way through the season and our field effort and attentiveness at film sesssions were both mightily improved.  I may give stickers or something else for parts of practice too since the incentive program worked so well in other areas.

I understand the individual awards ban.  Those things can cause more problems than they are worth. 

Academics is a different world in club sports, so any rewards for academic performance, community service, whatever, should be your own orgs. business.

I sometimes ask the kids what they are studying in school and quiz them on whatever subject during drills.  One of the few times being a knowledgable dork comes in handy.

ReplyQuote
coachgs
(@coachgs)
Gold

We're good.  The President called me yesterday and the first words out of his mouth were "You're an asshole."
Hey, I can accept that.

Long story short, our league operates under national rules.  I guess it's the preference of the current league president that we do not give trophys for academic awards but we can do something else like t-shirts/certificates or something. 

With this new information that is in the national rulebook, I think I'll go ahead and award trophys anyways.  I honestly don't think I'll be handing out too many of them, at least to begin with, so it's not going to cause me to go completely broke.  I'll award a trophy and when I'm told that I can't do that, I'll simply say "I can accept that I cannot do this upon written decleration that it's prohibited by Pop Warner."  If you see where this is going, there are no declarations prohibiting such awards, therefore I'm in the clear...It will upset some people I'm sure but I'm not here to make friends.  If they want a coach that only spends the time on the field, who has no active interest in the players or making the program better...than they don't want me.

Ken, watch this clip please.

"Character is formed, not by laws, commands, and decrees, but by quiet influence, unconscious suggestion and personal guidance."
- Marion Burton -

ReplyQuote
DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Hey, I can accept that.

Here is what I would have done in your shoes.

So you have your team.  You guys practice on your own little blades of grass.  You have the coaching staff, you and the parents.  Throughout the season there is very little contact with everyone else, correct?

I would have just emailed the parents for my team and said, "Hey, I am going to buy some trophies. 

At the end of the year every kid with a "B" average (or whatever criteria) get's a trophy for their academic achievement.  I am going to be asking the kids about the grades throughout the year (or whatever you are doing).

At our personal team banquet (I recommend this doesn't have to be extravagant or expensive) I will hand out the trophies to the kids who got them." 

It's silly to ask permission for doing this other than from the parents who will probably love it.

Dan

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: