Notifications
Clear all

In dire need of advice???

bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Hey Coaches,

So I just found out that the team I thought I would be head coaching is being kept by the original coach. Unfortunately, the “understanding” we had didn’t hold true.

I’m having a hard time deciding if I should stay on this roster and coach as an AC or request to move down to the Tiny Mites 5/6, and Head Coach there. My concern is that after 4 years at different programs in different states (thanks to the military) that another unorganized head coach and lack of planning would make trying to be an assistant difficult. The coaches hearts are in the right place, there is just a lack of focus and philosophy that I feel is really needed. I’m sure I could patiently try and get them to adjust those things, but theres also the chance that I bang my head on the goal post for the next couple months.

Any advice from the seasoned coaches would be awesome. And thanks to everyone.

-Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

1. Thanks for your service. USMC here  8)
2. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.....

If you can be the head man on another team, go do it. I've had my share of knucklehead HC's and it never ended well.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I think you had this question in the other thread. Seems like you answered your own question. The current team isn’t a fit unless they split. Either recruit 4 to force a split or take the little dudes

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I think you had this question in the other thread. Seems like you answered your own question. The current team isn’t a fit unless they split. Either recruit 4 to force a split or take the little dudes

I did. Just thought I’d get a little more feedback as a separate post. Thanks and I appreciate all the knowledge and feedback you guys offer here. I think I’ll take the advice and try to move down. Hell, to be honest the younger kids 5-8 have always better suited my personality better anyway.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I did. Just thought I’d get a little more feedback as a separate post. Thanks and I appreciate all the knowledge and feedback you guys offer here. I think I’ll take the advice and try to move down. Hell, to be honest the younger kids 5-8 have always better suited my personality better anyway.

From what you write, you seem to be self-aware. Go with that with confidence and you should be fine.

If something feels wrong, it almost always is.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

As someone who was an assistant, than became a head coach for years, and now am an assistant coach again........my personal opinion is that if you don't know the head coach well and know that you would work together, then you need to move down to the younger kids to be the header.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

theres also the chance that I bang my head on the goal post for the next couple months.

Yes, this is what would happen.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I think I’ll take the advice and try to move down.

You're not moving "down."  Trust me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
acsmith7062
(@acsmith7062)
Copper

Yes, take the bobble heads.  Less time correcting bad habits from other coaches, and more time focusing on building good fundamentals!  Not a demotion at all!!!

Chad

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."   O.A. "Bum" Phillips

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

Our league has 2 levels, a select level and developmental level.  The select level coach plans and runs the first 2.5 weeks, as all players are together for evaluations  This is my first year not being the select level coach, so I was a grunt.  And it sucked.  It was so far from how I did and would do things, I hated it.  Don't be an AC if you are not philosophically similar to the HC.  You will be biting your tongue all season and not have fun.  Take the little dudes and have fun with them and develop their love of the game at earliest of ages!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I think you had this question in the other thread. Seems like you answered your own question. The current team isn’t a fit unless they split.

So in addition to all the other tsooris, you'd've been one of 5 ACs with a roster of 36-39 and 8 plays minimum -- which would be close to the maximum plays, with that size roster at that age!

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

So in addition to all the other tsooris, you'd've been one of 5 ACs with a roster of 36-39 and 8 plays minimum -- which would be close to the maximum plays, with that size roster at that age!

Yeah, with MP Rules... 18 is a more than adequate roster number.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I had a great time coaching little dudes.

The first few weeks were tough, and we looked horrible, but by the end of the season we apparently looked sharper than a lot of the older teams.  They were a blast to coach.

And you'll be coaching almost entirely against dads with no clue who are basically there to babysit.  So there's that, as they say.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Well wouldn’t you know it, were splitting teams. Gotta love last minute changes. Here’s to the Doublewing and a well coached first season.

-Brian

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze

Well wouldn’t you know it, were splitting teams. Gotta love last minute changes. Here’s to the Doublewing and a well coached first season.

-Brian

Good luck coach!

ReplyQuote
Share: