Interesting League ...

Notifications
Clear all

Interesting League Method...

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

The Spring League I am coaching in does something I find interesting.

Every week all Members get an email listing all players and or coaches that got ejected the previous weekend. I thought just the coaches were getting these...nope....if you act the fool then every single Member in the League knows about it in detail. They name names and even give the reasons and yardage marked off if it applies.

Interesting idea this public flogging approach but Im not sure its working. The list seems to be getting bigger each week.  ??? The Teams also carry a Sportsmanship Rating next to their Name in the Standings. We are maintaining an "A" rating currently. I wonder if we get a Prize of some sort at the end. We have an Award in the Fall for Sportsmanship and I think if we ever won it my HC would have a Cow.  Nice guys tend to finish....last.  😉

BTW I have witnessed in person two bench clearing brawls in all my years coaching football...one at the semi pro level and one in this League last Season. Neither involved my own Team.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

PC states, everyone gets a sportsmanship award.  😀

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

I like it!  But our program and the league we play in will never do that, the parents run the show!

In our league, if a player or coach gets tossed from the game they automatically get suspended for the next game as well and possibly more after the league board reads the ref's report.  Also, the program itself can also suspend a player or coach more than out league does.

ReplyQuote
Cadell
(@cadell)
Bronze

I don't like.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Im not sure what to think?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Mike,

Is there a suspension if you get ejected in the MHFL?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Mike,

Is there a suspension if you get ejected in the MHFL?

L

Yes....one game. I probably should have mentioned that.

There is one 8th grade player that is on his second one game suspension.

ReplyQuote
Michael ODonnell
(@michael-odonnell)
Bronze

I believe the league I used to coach in had the policy that if you got tossed you missed the remainder of that game (the one you were tossed from) plus the next contest. In addition, multiple infractions (meaning more than one) probably earned you a suspension for a number of games and possibly the season. Depending upon the severity of the original infraction, the league director (who was one of the officials working each Saturday) would suspend you for whatever he felt was appropriate and then meet with the coaches/officials of that game to decide what needed to be done.

I don't remember ever hearing of any fights, brawls, or bench clearing difficulties. However, I can guarantee you that any bench clearing would immediately result in game forfeiture and probably expulsion from the league for the team (either immediately or at the end of the season).

We are all in this together.
Simple is good . . . simpler is better.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

L

Yes....one game. I probably should have mentioned that.

There is one 8th grade player that is on his second one game suspension.

That's been our problem. It's 50/50 if a coach honors a suspension. USA Hockey rules state that any ejection is followed by a 1 game suspension. This includes exhibition games (USA Hockey does not recognize "scrimmages"), and tournament games.

Our league's old scoring/stats system would automatically flag a player or coach as suspended if the ejection was scored correctly (50/50 on that as well). The new system does not track that. The only way to enter notes on the game is to start a "discussion" after the game is finalized. Very few people know that and we rely on parent volunteers to score all games. On top of that, hockey has some really complicated rules. If a player commits a penalty and there is more time on the penalty than is left on the game, the player is sent to the locker room. That's not a suspension, but a parent scoring the game, might score it as such. You also have misconduct penalties (no ejection), game misconduct and match penalties (both with ejections/suspensions). The ref is supposed to check all this before he signs off on the game, but half the time, I have to chase them down after the game. Sadly, I've also seen parents intentionally "fudge" the scoring, especially in tournaments.

I score all of Jake's games. It's easy to do, so I volunteer for it. That way, they can't ask me to volunteer for stuff I don't like to do. It also gets me away from the idiot parents (theirs and ours). I make a habit of looking at our opponent's last game to see if anyone was ejected. I tell the ref if they have a kid who shouldn't be playing. When confronted, I've seen coaches fly off the handle, argue that it's a mistake, or deny knowledge. Only once have I seen a coach send a player who is supposed to be suspended to the locker room.

I'm interested in this "shaming" thing. It may solve a lot of problems.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I believe the league I used to coach in had the policy that if you got tossed you missed the remainder of that game (the one you were tossed from) plus the next contest. In addition, multiple infractions (meaning more than one) probably earned you a suspension for a number of games and possibly the season. Depending upon the severity of the original infraction, the league director (who was one of the officials working each Saturday) would suspend you for whatever he felt was appropriate and then meet with the coaches/officials of that game to decide what needed to be done.

I don't remember ever hearing of any fights, brawls, or bench clearing difficulties. However, I can guarantee you that any bench clearing would immediately result in game forfeiture and probably expulsion from the league for the team (either immediately or at the end of the season).

M

The bench clearing brawl I witness in the this League last season...4th grader mind you...we were warming up right next to the field and they FINISHED THE GAME !  ???

ReplyQuote
Spartan45
(@spartan45)
Copper

Where the hell do you coach???  😮

In the past few years I can only think of one player who got ejected from a youth game. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

M

The bench clearing brawl I witness in the this League last season...4th grader mind you...we were warming up right next to the field and they FINISHED THE GAME !  ???

A 4th grade, bench-clearing brawl???? THAT would be something to see.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

A 4th grade, bench-clearing brawl???? THAT would be something to see.

L

....as the Parents were all running out on the filed I heard of the Moms yelling....LETS DO THIS FOR THE KIDS!!!!!

Then the hay-makers really started up between the Adults. Kids were just wrestling around on the ground.

When we played the team that apparently started all this a few weeks before...their players....not their fans or their coaches...were trash talking big time. Not to our players....to all of us coaches standing on the sidelines! Funniest thing I can remember in a long time.  ::)

I was thinking the Officials would be in a bad mood once our game started. Nope. They laughed it off.  ???

ReplyQuote
coachgs
(@coachgs)
Gold

....as the Parents were all running out on the filed I heard of the Moms yelling....LETS DO THIS FOR THE KIDS!!!!!

LOL, that's funny as heck.

"Character is formed, not by laws, commands, and decrees, but by quiet influence, unconscious suggestion and personal guidance."
- Marion Burton -

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

They should make you wear a yellow jacket or something on the sideline the rest of the year, like how NASCAR rookies have the yellow bumpers so everyone knows who they are.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Share: