Notifications
Clear all

Irony and Absurdity

Page 1 / 6

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

So last week, Coach W and myself were offered Offensive Line coaching positions for both the JV and Varsity levels at a local high school.  We turned it down, despite them offering us their high school field for Coach W's youth team to play on.  The sticking point seemed to be that we wanted to bring our S&C guy (who is also an offensive line coach) with us.  They didn't want to "hire" 3 coaches, despite the fact that we were all volunteering and no one was going to receive a stipend.  They did offer to add our S&C guy in January (when the season is over.  Huh?), but we said "no."  Despite their already having 13 coaches, none of them coach the offensive line.  This morning, when I looked at the County jobs board, the high school now has a listing for two PAID football assistants.  So where they could have had all three of us for free, they are now willing to pay for two.  Where's the logic?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Some people are just silly and I often see it in the public sector.  ::)

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold

The more I'm involved in coaching and dealing with a school, the more I realize I may never understand exactly what goes into the hiring process.

About 5 years ago I applied to be the director of our travel basketball program.  I interviewed but they went with some other guy that lasted two years.  The position was posted again, I applied again and had a talk with our AD once again.  I was also being hired to become a middle school basketball coach at the same time and was turned down for the travel director because they wanted me to focus on coaching at the school.  The guy they hired made it another two years.  I told myself I wasn't going to apply a third time. The AD knew what I brought to the table and if he wanted me, he could come find me.  I had been coaching in the travel org the entire time and knew what it took to run the thing and build our in-house league.

Last summer I'm watching my son play summer league basketball and the AD asks to talk to me. I now run the damn travel program with another guy.  ::)

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Last summer I'm watching my son play summer league basketball and the AD asks to talk to me. I now run the damn travel program with another guy.

The thing is, we wanted to be there, were willing to work for free and focus solely on their JV and V o-line.  When Coach W called them to turn them down, the header asked him, "What would it take for us to get you here?"  Um...perhaps "listening?"

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

So last week, Coach W and myself were offered Offensive Line coaching positions for both the JV and Varsity levels at a local high school.  We turned it down, despite them offering us their high school field for Coach W's youth team to play on.  The sticking point seemed to be that we wanted to bring our S&C guy (who is also an offensive line coach) with us.  They didn't want to "hire" 3 coaches, despite the fact that we were all volunteering and no one was going to receive a stipend.  They did offer to add our S&C guy in January (when the season is over.  Huh?), but we said "no."  Despite their already having 13 coaches, none of them coach the offensive line.  This morning, when I looked at the County jobs board, the high school now has a listing for two PAID football assistants.  So where they could have had all three of us for free, they are now willing to pay for two.  Where's the logic?

I suspect some bureaucratic side effect that makes them personally better off with some people on their payroll than w volunteers.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Gotta love the public sector  ???

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I suspect some bureaucratic side effect that makes them personally better off with some people on their payroll than w volunteers.

It's possible, Bob.  But when you address it and feel like you've answered those questions explaning how it's actually advantageous to have a person in my position available, well....you gotta wonder.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Have you ever thought that your CAL program intimidates people? The effort involved in that is absolute next level stuff. I look at it and while I think it is awesome I don't think I would ever be able to have the time to do it. I was just thinking that maybe people might see that and think there is no way I can get involved in that. Plus, some principles might be against you involving teachers. Believe it or not, many teachers have checked out and do the bare minimum.  ::)

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

--Daveo

Maybe there were changes....it happens.

This week my jv DC was hired away to be a varsity Dc at the school 100 yards away....we share that field....another coach got a new teaching job an hour away....suddenly we had two stipends open...,I filled both within hours with guys who id tried to bring on as volunteers....

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

some principles might be against you involving teachers. Believe it or not, many teachers have checked out and do the bare minimum.

That's easy to believe both.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Maybe there were changes....it happens.

Steve, you're absolutely right.  The job postings may not have been for offensive line coaches; the listing just read: "Assistant Coach."

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Just a guess, but maybe their S&C coach is connected and would be butt hurt if they hired another?

So to compound the absurdity into a singularity that would collapse under its own gravity, you and Coach W should apply for those jobs.  😉

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Just a guess, but maybe their S&C coach is connected and would be butt hurt if they hired another?

--That was my thought, as well.  But our S&C guy would be exclusively for the O-Line.  How many schools out there have that luxury?

So to compound the absurdity into a singularity that would collapse under its own gravity, you and Coach W should apply for those jobs.

--Actually, I agree with you Lar.  I told Coach W that today.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I think Rob might have the right idea.

I've seen numerous cases where someone hears someone "is really good," so they think they might want him.

They imagine that "is really good" means that the coach does a few things differently -- maybe a few techniques are different, maybe it's front squat instead of back squat, maybe it's a few other things that are slightly tweaked.  But it's the same basic idea, just slightly different.

Then they see that virtually every single thing is different, and there are a lot of things being done that they never even thought of, and things not being done that they never imagined not doing, and even thought it works, and maybe works better than what they're doing, or especially if it works better than what they're doing, they don't want any part of it.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Then they see that virtually every single thing is different, and there are a lot of things being done that they never even thought of, and things not being done that they never imagined not doing, and even thought it works, and maybe works better than what they're doing, or especially if it works better than what they're doing, they don't want any part of it.

Which is to say, that's how we do things.  And better, or not, it's completely, entirely different from how they've been doing things in the past.  In the case of the middle school that I just interviewed at, they haven't had a winning season there in the last 5 years (that's how long their AD has been there).  In the case of the high school that offered two of us, but not all three, their header's been a hs hc for 10 years and has only two winning seasons to show for it.  In the case of another high school that we met and spoke with, their JV team was winless last year, while their Varsity won only 4 games.  The two other schools that offered also play against EWHS this season and I have absolutely no interest in coaching against my former players.  The high school that seemed the most interested has gone 18-6 the past two seasons, but I've watched a few of their practices and I simply can't practice that way. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share: