Irony and Absurdity

Notifications
Clear all

Irony and Absurdity

Page 4 / 6

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Michael knows nothing about basketball, yet he goes to see Pitino speak to hear about coaching.

He was coaching 6 y/o's, went & saw McNally.

Talks to one of the top Women's Soccer coaches in the country.

Has gone to DLS more than once to learn how they do things.

Point is he is a guy that puts in effort to learn to coach. It doesn't matter what sport he always wants to be a better coach. How do I know? I have been in a boat on a river in Chicago in February at 6am. He coaches rowing the way I want to coach football.

He is also arrogant, condescending, nd a master of satire. He has at one time or another taken shots at all of us. Yet, he is needed in this online community. I am sure you have gotten PM's complaining about him. However, it isn't being destructive to this board, in fact it truly helps the board.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

You can either take his antics personally or you don't. I don't understand why one would take those comments seriously even if he was serious. I have no idea whether that stuff id genuine or not and don't care. But I won't speak for others and won't minimalize how others feel about such comments.

Michael has great value. The articles he post on coaching are amazing as is his knowledge of coaching in general. It would be a shame to lose that insight. On the other hand, some might want to punch him in the nose and the ends does not justify the means for those coaches.

We lost BMJ partially for some of the same reason. That sucks. It will also suck if Michael leaves or is asked to leave.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Who is Michael? ???

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I'm going to chime in.  Michael is defenseless.  While every word of what Joe says may be true with regards to his attendance and talks with other coaches. Lately the thing that stands out above those things IS all the condescension, spite, and arrogance.  Those traits seem to fly in opposition to becoming a better coach. Some folks will recall Bill Mountjoy, his demeanor was much the same with more than a few of us. His delivery methods soon outweighed the information contained within.  I kept in touch with Bill for a while after that but his delivery remained acidic and I dropped away. 

The fact remains only Michael can determine how or if he responds.

Scott 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

I was going to chime in the other day and decided not to...when a couple of valued members of this forum were arguing to the point of it being an embarrassment.  I chose not to speak my mind on the thread because frankly, I felt that two adults who serve as role models to kids should really do better...and me saying something about it wouldn’t make much difference.

Here we are again...some of the same players...and when someone did bother to step up and challenge the status quo administrative action was taken.

If Michael deserved to be banned...you should have just did it without airing out dirty laundry instead of making private matters public...him calling you out and action being taken just reflects really poorly.

I’ll tell you what...Michael is a smart ass.  He’s also easily one of the most thoughtful and well spoken coaches I’ve ever met.  Until you meet him or have a few conversations with him on the phone, you’re not going to have a full appreciation for how efficient he is with words and wit on this forum.

This whole thing is embarrassing guys and it needs to stop. 

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I'm not happy about my back and forth the other day with Michael. Not because of anything he said but because it should of never happened. The topic never should of even of come up. The idea that since you coach kids you should be above such disagreements while those children are not present is odd. That anyone who coaches should have nothing to do with conversations outside of coaching that gets heated makes no sense. Just because you coach kids doesn't mean you should be excluded from debate with those you disagree with. My being a role modeling does not extend into conversations away from kids. Especially wjen it comes to my personnal beliefs on subjects that I will never involve them with.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Michael knows nothing about basketball, yet he goes to see Pitino speak to hear about coaching.

Point is he is a guy that puts in effort to learn to coach. It doesn't matter what sport he always wants to be a better coach. How do I know? I have been in a boat on a river in Chicago in February at 6am. He coaches rowing the way I want to coach football.

He is also arrogant, condescending, nd a master of satire. He has at one time or another taken shots at all of us. Yet, he is needed in this online community. I am sure you have gotten PM's complaining about him. However, it isn't being destructive to this board, in fact it truly helps the board.

Once I even put in a "Like" for his post making fun of my post!

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

Joe

I have done all of that and more - since I was 8 and went to my first coaches clinic.  I regularly hang out with coaches in top 25 football programs (2 that are currently ranked - one in top 10) and have coached, successfully, 71 teams in multiple sports. I don’t really give a shit about that, but it’s amazing how guys on here love to try to make their dick bigger online.  I have an awesome wife, kids and a life.  Some guys on here should maybe try to get a life outside of this site (although they claim they do). 

I can tell you years ago I used to talk to Mahonz and Michael.  One helped me and one would not let you get a word in between talking incessantly about himself and how awesome he was. I’m not about myself anymore - I have kids.  Mahonz, IMO, is in the same boat.  Mahonz - thanks again for helping me make the ship in a 48 team league with your plan to beat the single wing.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Malibu

So, now are you taking a shot at me?

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

Malibu

So, now are you taking a shot at me?

Joe

How??

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Malibu

I am asking because you quoted me. It seems like that's to take a shot at me in addition. I am only asking.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

Malibu

I am asking because you quoted me. It seems like that's to take a shot at me in addition. I am only asking.

Joe

By no means taking a shot at you. Sorry if you took it that way.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Malibu

Ok, I was only asking. I wasn't sure of your intent so I had to ask.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Malibu
(@idaho-coach)
Silver

Malibu

Ok, I was only asking. I wasn't sure of your intent so I had to ask.

Joe

Fair question.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Michael knew all about DLS before he got here- he was on that note from the begining

Sure...we all did. But none of us "knew" DLS. Micheal decided to go there in person and find out. Its what he does. I remember having that conversation with him on the phone....out the many many many hours I spent with him on the phone.

I attribute a lot of my successes of late on Offense to those conversations. Now he just spews unsolicited anger towards me for reasons I cant even begin to understand because I have no idea why. And we no longer talk on the phone.

Odd.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6
Share: