RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 4, 2016 8:03 pm  

The common opponent is your full potential- not the other team

^ This is always who you should be playing against: your own standards.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
September 5, 2016 4:54 am  

--Dave

Yep
One of the games I was most disappointed by - a 34-6 win over the North Omaha Boys Club
One of the games I was happiest about how we played- an OT Semi Final loss by 1 score

I knew NU was in trouble with Coach Callahan early on
They had played miserably and escaped with a 1 point win over some noboby team- something like Illinois State etc
He totally brushed off the media- a win is a win is a win- happy how they played  ::) At that point- I knew the guy was toast here

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 7:55 am  

Now last night I had a parent send me an email because he received an email from another parent who is quietly trying to get me kicked off the team. He felt it was wrong what this other parent is doing and sent me the chain of emails that were involved and this so called petition that was being sent out.

I am seriously at a loss now. I have done everything thing I could, all my assistants have done the same.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2016 8:16 am  

Now last night I had a parent send me an email because he received an email from another parent who is quietly trying to get me kicked off the team. He felt it was wrong what this other parent is doing and sent me the chain of emails that were involved and this so called petition that was being sent out.

I am seriously at a loss now. I have done everything thing I could, all my assistants have done the same.

Time for an all hands come to Darth meeting with all parents.

People are generally very brave behind a keyboard....they are limp noodles in person.

The gist of this meeting depends on the gist of your situation. What is driving this mutiny? You have to be honest about this so you can attempt fix things. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 5, 2016 9:12 am  

All of us really are, whether we stop to think about it or not.  And it's an opponent we can never beat, and practically never even tie.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 10:21 am  

Here is the "petition" that was sent to me if anyone was curious. I have had parents email responses stating that they have asked their players questions about the content in the petition and they have all stated that none of it was true as well as a few parents have stated that as well. I should be speaking with my President and/or commissioner sometime later today about this if not, most likely tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2016 11:23 am  

Here is the "petition" that was sent to me if anyone was curious. I have had parents email responses stating that they have asked their players questions about the content in the petition and they have all stated that none of it was true as well as a few parents have stated that as well. I should be speaking with my President and/or commissioner sometime later today about this if not, most likely tomorrow.

Well you certainly have upset someone.

For me...playing the safety card translates into Im not getting my way so....

A few thoughts....

Multiple current assistant coaches have indicated they WOULD step up to be the head coach. Have you talked with all of them since this petition went out?

The coach does not seem to recognize the knowledge base and experience of his assistant coaches, and “appears” to be more fixated on simply “being in charge”. See above. 

Water has become an issue of player safety. We have run out of water for the boys in game one and two. The coach is directly responsible for this and if he has not delegated responsibility to another coach, then he alone must accept responsibility for the team running out of water. In Arizona, it goes without saying that this is GROSSLY unacceptable and dangerous. Did this happen? Are you responsible for water?  I have coached in Arizona before and this would be very bad.

The rest is just babble that only you can understand.

At the end of the day the door is going to have to hit somebody in the ass as they leave. Sad this person didn't simply approach you rather than escalating it. Now the Board has to step in.

Due to the sensitive nature of things, we do not feel as though Coach Phillips should be involved in a lesser Thundercats role. His presence in anything involving the team is no longer appropriate. Very strong statement right there. If multiple  families sign this petition the Director has no choice which is tough because its going to split the team regardless.

If I remember correctly you have a son on the team. This is going to hurt him more than it will hurt you if you leave but I would consider leaving...become a fan...and sit next to the person that started this petition at every game.  😉 

If no one signs this petition then you just lost a player and move on. I'd still have an all hands come to Darth meeting to address the fallout if you stay.

Good luck...bad deal.

ReplyQuote
DKTurtle
(@dkturtle)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 12:20 pm  

I'll bet its easy to get a lot of "signatures" for an anonymous petition. If any parent felt strongly enough that they were going to remove their child from participating, they would be willing to put their name on this thing. If their is 1 actual parents name on this thing, there is probably a reason for it.

Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

ReplyQuote
HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 2:10 pm  

Wow, that really sucks!  I have seen some really bad coaches not called out such as in that petition.

BUT, anonymous backing of a petition to get the Coach fired is WEAK!
You can only hope you built some relationships with the boys and parents that will buffer the petition.

I guess I'd want to know if you've won some games with this group ? Or are you getting blown out and is your squad unorganized compared with the other teams? Are you overly critical of the players and/or people in general ?
Overly critical of the players, yelling, screaming, loss of poise with the team will get a warning and then the coach fired from my staff.

Here are a few ideas from me to make things better.

Tuesday night I will inform all my assistants to focus on fast practice tempo and choosing the good things to recognize and praise. I'll expect them to enthusiastically promote and praise EFFORT whenever possible AND to leave criticism of the players to me. They spend way too much time telling the players what they are doing wrong, typical of an inexperienced coach, instead of giving proper direction. This approach robs reps from the players and slows practice tempo and gives the players A BAD ATTITUDE. I  give similar instructions to my coaches weekly if not daily. Enthusiasm, recognition and praise is as important as any aspect of coaching.

Rarely yell and criticize the players but often just go to them one on one at the rear of the drill or between his reps and talk to him patiently and give DIRECTIONS and show the player one on one coaching. He'll know you care about HIM and so will his parents.
I become exhausted during drills as I go from one player to next demonstrating and giving directions to the individual players and

NEVER RAISING MY VOICE OR DEMEANING ONE OF MY BOYS!

Not saying that is you but that is usually why parents lose faith in the coach.

"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 2:29 pm  

Well you certainly have upset someone.

For me...playing the safety card translates into Im not getting my way so....

A few thoughts....

Multiple current assistant coaches have indicated they WOULD step up to be the head coach. Have you talked with all of them since this petition went out?

The coach does not seem to recognize the knowledge base and experience of his assistant coaches, and “appears” to be more fixated on simply “being in charge”. See above. 

Water has become an issue of player safety. We have run out of water for the boys in game one and two. The coach is directly responsible for this and if he has not delegated responsibility to another coach, then he alone must accept responsibility for the team running out of water. In Arizona, it goes without saying that this is GROSSLY unacceptable and dangerous. Did this happen? Are you responsible for water?  I have coached in Arizona before and this would be very bad.

The rest is just babble that only you can understand.

At the end of the day the door is going to have to hit somebody in the ass as they leave. Sad this person didn't simply approach you rather than escalating it. Now the Board has to step in.

Due to the sensitive nature of things, we do not feel as though Coach Phillips should be involved in a lesser Thundercats role. His presence in anything involving the team is no longer appropriate. Very strong statement right there. If multiple  families sign this petition the Director has no choice which is tough because its going to split the team regardless.

If I remember correctly you have a son on the team. This is going to hurt him more than it will hurt you if you leave but I would consider leaving...become a fan...and sit next to the person that started this petition at every game.  😉 

If no one signs this petition then you just lost a player and move on. I'd still have an all hands come to Darth meeting to address the fallout if you stay.

Good luck...bad deal.

mahonz, nothing stated on the petition is true, especially the water part. I usually bring Gatorade to the games due to the heat and have like 10 gallons of the stuff. After the games I end up dumping 2-3 gallons of it out and that is after filling all my water bottles up and a gallon jug and giving it to whoever wants it.

As for other parts, I know who the one coach is that is helping this and he will be dealt with. I had 3of my other coaches text me this morning asking what the hell is going on because they apparently were not part of the discussion and heard second hand what was going on. Nothing was discussed with them.

I will not step down from my position because I have done absolutely nothing wrong to step down. I even have parents that have stated to me and the President that I have done nothing that has been stated. There was a time in practice that on of my ACs chewed a kid out rather harshly for missing a block but I dealt with that.

My ACs are allowed to coach the boys freely and change up things on their own. I have provided all my coaches with everything they need but only 3 have ever touched the materials. Only one or two coaches actually give me any feedback on anything. I will create a depth chart for the game and ask for input on any changes that they think we should make or who should play where during key times during games. What response do I get? Nota damned thing.

My president is pissed about this because the person tried to do all of this without my knowledge so I could not speak up for myself and so are other parents. She informed me earlier that she has gotten emails from parents on my behalf.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2016 2:40 pm  

mahonz, nothing stated on the petition is true, especially the water part. I usually bring Gatorade to the games due to the heat and have like 10 gallons of the stuff. After the games I end up dumping 2-3 gallons of it out and that is after filling all my water bottles up and a gallon jug and giving it to whoever wants it.

As for other parts, I know who the one coach is that is helping this and he will be dealt with. I had 3of my other coaches text me this morning asking what the hell is going on because they apparently were not part of the discussion and heard second hand what was going on. Nothing was discussed with them.

I will not step down from my position because I have done absolutely nothing wrong to step down. I even have parents that have stated to me and the President that I have done nothing that has been stated. There was a time in practice that on of my ACs chewed a kid out rather harshly for missing a block but I dealt with that.

My ACs are allowed to coach the boys freely and change up things on their own. I have provided all my coaches with everything they need but only 3 have ever touched the materials. Only one or two coaches actually give me any feedback on anything. I will create a depth chart for the game and ask for input on any changes that they think we should make or who should play where during key times during games. What response do I get? Nota damned thing.

My president is pissed about this because the person tried to do all of this without my knowledge so I could not speak up for myself and so are other parents. She informed me earlier that she has gotten emails from parents on my behalf.

Good to hear !

Will this family be getting the boot? I would insist on that much at least.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 2:47 pm  

Good to hear !

I am sure that family is intent on leaving but i don't really care. There is a boy who is itching to play OLB and it will be his if the other leaves.

ReplyQuote
StormCoach
(@stormcoach)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 2:47 pm  

Good to hear !

DAS BOOT!  DAS BOOT!!

“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." ” ― Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2016 2:49 pm  

I hope the coach getting a nick kick in the pants as he is shown the door? And the family as well.
And to add, I would poison the well in regards to his ability to play for other teams.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2016 2:53 pm  

DAS BOOT!  DAS BOOT!!

Agree completely. Cant have that going on anymore for sure.

Very odd situation. Adults do tend to ruin youth sports.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share: