Notifications

Is it just me?  

Page 3 / 5
  RSS

darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 3:17 pm  

Wow, that really sucks!  I have seen some really bad coaches not called out such as in that petition.

BUT, anonymous backing of a petition to get the Coach fired is WEAK!
You can only hope you built some relationships with the boys and parents that will buffer the petition.

I guess I'd want to know if you've won some games with this group ? Or are you getting blown out and is your squad unorganized compared with the other teams? Are you overly critical of the players and/or people in general ?
Overly critical of the players, yelling, screaming, loss of poise with the team will get a warning and then the coach fired from my staff.

Here are a few ideas from me to make things better.

Tuesday night I will inform all my assistants to focus on fast practice tempo and choosing the good things to recognize and praise. I'll expect them to enthusiastically promote and praise EFFORT whenever possible AND to leave criticism of the players to me. They spend way too much time telling the players what they are doing wrong, typical of an inexperienced coach, instead of giving proper direction. This approach robs reps from the players and slows practice tempo and gives the players A BAD ATTITUDE. I  give similar instructions to my coaches weekly if not daily. Enthusiasm, recognition and praise is as important as any aspect of coaching.

Rarely yell and criticize the players but often just go to them one on one at the rear of the drill or between his reps and talk to him patiently and give DIRECTIONS and show the player one on one coaching. He'll know you care about HIM and so will his parents.
I become exhausted during drills as I go from one player to next demonstrating and giving directions to the individual players and

NEVER RAISING MY VOICE OR DEMEANING ONE OF MY BOYS!

Not saying that is you but that is usually why parents lose faith in the coach.

We are 1-1 right now. First game win 25-13, second game loss 21-7. There were no problems until we started installing the offense. That is when our problems begs to fester. Parents complained about what I was running and my commissioner suggested I change it and I didn't. That's when things started to really surface. I am not overly critical of my kids. If somebody screws up I pull them aside and have another coach continue the drill while the kid and I discuss what went wrong and how to fix it. I yell more in practice praising effort and great reps then I ever do negatively. As for the organization part, the boys know their formations and plays and how to read their wrist coaches the first game there was some issues due to 2 players not paying attention to the situation. The Las game the only kid that had a issue was a MPP kid I had to force my backup OC to get into the game. I am also having to fight to get MPPs playtime that they need and deserve because my coaches and parents only seem to care about the so called studs.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2016 3:51 pm  

We are 1-1 right now. First game win 25-13, second game loss 21-7. There were no problems until we started installing the offense. That is when our problems begs to fester. Parents complained about what I was running and my commissioner suggested I change it and I didn't. That's when things started to really surface. I am not overly critical of my kids. If somebody screws up I pull them aside and have another coach continue the drill while the kid and I discuss what went wrong and how to fix it. I yell more in practice praising effort and great reps then I ever do negatively. As for the organization part, the boys know their formations and plays and how to read their wrist coaches the first game there was some issues due to 2 players not paying attention to the situation. The Las game the only kid that had a issue was a MPP kid I had to force my backup OC to get into the game. I am also having to fight to get MPPs playtime that they need and deserve because my coaches and parents only seem to care about the so called studs.

Thanks for sharing this ugly episode and keep us informed. Im sure you will be helping others on the Forum on how this all plays out for you.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
September 5, 2016 3:55 pm  

Have a game plan for getting MPRs their plays
It should be developed and shared with your asst coaches
It is on our playsheet all coaches get on game day
Depth Chart all teams- D, O, ST
MPR Game plan
Wrist Band Code- plays listed in order so no search needed
Pregame Practice plan

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum
September 5, 2016 4:43 pm  

It was Vince Lombardi who said "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

I love this quote because losing should be something that's avoided.  Who approaches something with the mindset of losing?  When you go to school, do you say "I want to fail this class", when you apply for a job do you say "I don't want to get this job."  NO!  You should WANT to win.  If you're not winning, you should be trying to figure out WHY and change it.  In this day and age, it's like people are scared of winning and saying that winning is important.  WINNING and the DESIRE TO WIN is extremely IMPORTANT.  I've got books from the 40's and 50's written by great coaches of the game who clearly state that one of the most important traits of good football players is A DESIRE TO WIN.

I'd love to say that I'm a great enough coach to overcome talent deficiencies and such to create winning teams.  I'm not.  I've had lengthy conversations with JRK5150 about everything that goes into a football game, there's coaching, offense, defense, talent, athleticism, intelligence.  Some of these things you don't have control over, the hope is that your can make up the difference somewhere else.
Say you played against a team that was 0 for coaching, but 10 for athleticism...and you're a team with 1 for athleticism...you need to make up 9 points somewhere else for it to be an evenly matched game.

At the end of the day...it's that desire to win that should drive you and your team on and off the field to improve.  As we stumble through life, we always have the opportunity to learn and to improve ourselves.  Capture those moments and continue to improve...that's what football is really about.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 5:17 pm  

The common opponent is your full potential- not the other teams

If I didn't have a Fredrick Douglas quote in my sig that I truly believe in, Dave's statement would be the one I'd choose!  ;D

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 5, 2016 5:22 pm  

Have a game plan for getting MPRs their plays
It should be developed and shared with your asst coaches
It is on our playsheet all coaches get on game day
Depth Chart all teams- D, O, ST
MPR Game plan
Wrist Band Code- plays listed in order so no search needed
Pregame Practice plan

I have all of those in place on gameday, I have it planned where the MPR's go and how often they rotate and it's discussed prior to the game. During the game when it's time to start rotating in players, my assistants resist me because they are too focused on the studs than proper rotation. My Goal is to have the weaker kids at 8 plays at halftime. I also have caught AC's subing players. The only coaches allowed to sub anyone is the OC and myself. This has been worked on but they still try or annoy the crap out of me.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
September 5, 2016 5:46 pm  

I have all of those in place on gameday, I have it planned where the MPR's go and how often they rotate and it's discussed prior to the game. During the game when it's time to start rotating in players, my assistants resist me because they are too focused on the studs than proper rotation. My Goal is to have the weaker kids at 8 plays at halftime. I also have caught AC's subing players. The only coaches allowed to sub anyone is the OC and myself. This has been worked on but they still try or annoy the crap out of me.

If the only ones allowed to sub players are you and the OC- then what does it matter that the other ACs are- resisting subbing
You can sub on both sides of the ball if it becomes an issue

I have told certain ACs in the past that if they choose not to coach their positions from the sidelines- then they can do it from high up in the stands
If they want to watch the game I always offer them better seats- up high in the grandstand
Coach or watch- dont do both- we film games so you can watch the game later

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 5, 2016 6:21 pm  

It was Vince Lombardi who said "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

This seems more applicable to this particular conversation.

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand. - Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 5, 2016 9:45 pm  

Darth,

I've coached football for 10 seasons and hockey for maybe 12 and have served on a hockey board for 5. Once in a great while, you will catch the "one of one thousand" parent. Sounds like you hit the reverse lottery. Unfortunately, these parents often are successful in pulling a modest following like Manson, Jim Jones, L Ron Hubbard, etc.

After reading your posts, I agree that you shouldn't quit. Consider yourself lucky that this parent showed their cards (bet you $100 that it's a mom) after game 2. Mine slowly poisoned the well until pulling the plug after the 2nd to last game. I hope it's not true that one of your coaches is complicit.

DW and SW seem to bring the crazies out of the woodwork. I've had parents "greatly concerned" that Jimmy is a WR, or Jimmy is a QB and won't be prepared for HS football as if Varsity WR/QB are positions available to anyone who pays their money and shows up. I even had an AC quit and pull his kid because our direct snap wouldn't prepare his 6th grade son to be a Varsity center. The kid's HS direct snaps 90% of the time, BTW.

This is not a DW or SW problem, it's a parent training problem. One day, I'll get Mahonz to write a manual on training the agents. Ours seem to be in line, but it takes at least 2 years to get them there.

Hang in there and keep doing your thing.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 6, 2016 8:26 am  

mahonz, nothing stated on the petition is true, especially the water part. I usually bring Gatorade to the games due to the heat and have like 10 gallons of the stuff. After the games I end up dumping 2-3 gallons of it out and that is after filling all my water bottles up and a gallon jug and giving it to whoever wants it.

They didn't say you were running out of Gatorade.  They said you were running out of water.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 6, 2016 8:30 am  

"The coach has not employed the proper personnel packaging during games or practices to allow players to be successful and most importantly safe."

Not employing proper personnel packaging to allow players to be safe?  lol. What the heck does that mean?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 6, 2016 8:35 am  

Parents complained about what I was running and my commissioner suggested I change it and I didn't.

So what are you running?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 6, 2016 9:01 am  

They didn't say you were running out of Gatorade.  They said you were running out of water.

--Dave

D

My take from a been there done that....

Gatorade is an upgrade. The water supply in Phoenix comes from Roosevelt Reservoir and is the hardest water in the nation testing out at 70% alkaline.

It is not really considered potable unless you have an in home filtration system. Water Companies like Arrowhead that deliver bottled water to your home is BIG business. So...you have to buy water and ice for the kids anyway so you may as well service the elecrolites while your at it and do powdered Gatorade for another 8 bucks.

Running out of fluids is bad regardless....but more so in the extreme dry heat of the desert due to the lungs not being able to evaporate moisture....because there isnt any moisture in the air.  Wet heat promotes evaporation thru surface sweating and the lungs so its easier to dehydrate but dry heat will promote heat stroke much faster...as I understand things....and going from memory.

We also kept a good supply of hand towels in ice water in coolers to help promote surface sweating. I always wanted one of those Cool Zone fans but you have to plug those into a water supply so that was a no go.

Playing football in Phoenix is different than your average bear...practice and games and why this parent used that as a means to get everyone's attention. Sometimes it so hot you can feel the air pressure against your skin and sound literally travels weirdly. Its like the air is dead....and yes I have fried an egg on the asphalt before just to see if I could. I could.

The fact that he dumps gallons out after the game tells me this parent was out to get him in any way "she" could.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
September 6, 2016 9:50 am  

So what are you running?

--Dave

We are running Cisars' single wing

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze
September 6, 2016 10:28 am  

I'll bet its easy to get a lot of "signatures" for an anonymous petition. If any parent felt strongly enough that they were going to remove their child from participating, they would be willing to put their name on this thing. If their is 1 actual parents name on this thing, there is probably a reason for it.

Agreed.  But if options are limited and there are school / geographic restrictions on where players can play, then some parents may not want to gamble their kids standing with the club or coach who may or may not still be around.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: