Notifications
Clear all

Is it just me?  

Page 5 / 5

davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Pro tip:  Don't say, "Have you decided yet which guy you're going to call holding on on the next play?"

I might have said that a few years ago.  Or not.

brutal
not recommended

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Pro-tip 2: as you're watching a flag fly calling back your sweep going to the house and you think it's because the ref has an agenda, don't say "we can do this all day, and you'll never see this field again". Not my finest moment. First and last time I said something like that, no idea WTF I was thinking. And the call wasn't even what I thought it was in the first place.

The only semi-redeeming thing is we saw the same ref the following week, and all the other coaches in the program were bitching about what an as*hole he was. I kept my mouth shut. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

My lowest moment....

Denver has the Platte River running next to downtown so lots of Viaducts. The "street people"  tend to live under them in their shanties.

I asked a White Hat once which Viaduct the League found him under.

Not good. I didn't get ejected but I should have.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Maybe we have a spinoff thread coming.

I knew that we were in zebra trouble the other night when after the first 5 plays the guy on our sideline gave us an official warning for using the term, "Jesus".  Guy ended up making a few of the worst calls I have seen in a long time. 

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze

and its not the honest refs that didn't "see it" that just kill a game, its the ones with an agenda, that purposefully ignore blatant fouls and lie about it, or have a tendency to throw late flags whenever your team is having a big play, that just kills a game.

I've always said that that I can live with any call that is "missed".  The kids gets away with holding, or PI?  Fine.  Kid grabbed a bit of facemask accidentally?  Fine.

It's the nonsensical calls that are "made" that kill.  The phantom holding call.  The phantom offsides.  The PI that never happened.  When you claim to see something you didn't see, that's the call that infuriates people and breaks kids hearts.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Maybe we have a spinoff thread coming.

I knew that we were in zebra trouble the other night when after the first 5 plays the guy on our sideline gave us an official warning for using the term, "Jesus".  Guy ended up making a few of the worst calls I have seen in a long time.

Ha ha - in my situation, the flag I reacted to was thrown because the side judge heard my HC "drop the H word" - he was looking at the field and made a comment "what the hell was that".

They marked off 15 yards, so as it turns out I didn't even get penalized.  I almost got kicked out, the ref absolutely reamed me out.  But I didn't get penalized, they were walking off that 15 anyway.  Should have been 30 and an ejection.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Worst Crew ever. Had them the next game too so we had a "post game" meeting.

Never saw them again.

They were letting the kids advance footballs out of the endzone on KO's and Punts which was dangerous as hell because everyone lets up and then the return man realizes no whistle.

PI was an automatic first down from the spot of the foul. The opponent was getting flagged for illegal formations and for the life of me I saw nothing wrong.

Allowing the play to continue on a neutral zone infraction and then giving the Offense the opportunity to take the play or the penalty.

The only White Hat I have seen that was "convinced" to pick up a flag.

And then this....notice the chains....and the Line Judge after the play running down the LOS  like a Drunken Frenchman....and the White Hat trying to do everyone elses job.

Did he get the first down? Maybe....but not by 2 yards !

It was nothing but this for 4 quarters. What can you do. There was no agenda....just total and complete ineptitude.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

They were letting the kids advance footballs out of the endzone on KO's and Punts which was dangerous as hell because everyone lets up and then the return man realizes no whistle.

PI was an automatic first down from the spot of the foul. The opponent was getting flagged for illegal formations and for the life of me I saw nothing wrong.

Allowing the play to continue on a neutral zone infraction and then giving the Offense the opportunity to take the play or the penalty.

Well there's your problem! These guys were obviously NFL refs.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

So in 2014, our KEY game of the year, in fact it was the difference maker of playoffs vs. no playoffs. We had a complete dunce on our sideline. My HC, who isn't the kindest soul in a game, is standing right next to him looking down the LOS at the other team lined up offsides.  He's pointing at it going - do you see that?  Don't you see that?  It's right there, are you going to call it? Right in the guy's ear. Nothing. I was waiting on the USC penalty, but nothing.

Two plays at the end of the half.  We have the ball, 4th down, we run a sweep.  Our kid gets jerked down by his face mask - head snaps down, OBVIOUS call. Flag flies. I'm clapping, we can now run out the clock.  Nope, holding on us, declined, turnover.  On film - phantom holding.  Nowhere near holding. No idea where that call came from. The facemask was OBVIOUS as can be. Nobody watching the ball. Ugh.

NEXT play, the other team runs a sweep which we are in the process of killing in the backfield.  As the kid is about to be hit, he pulls up to pass.  I look down the field and see my CB with a kid from the other team dragging him to the ground by his face mask. The ball goes right to where he's on the ground to another kid, who catches it and is gone for a TD. On film, they had 3-4 lineman down the field, including the kid who was holding my CB.  He was blocking for the sweep, LOL.

We lost in double OT.  Take that TD away, we win in regulation and we go 8-0 and to playoffs, they go 7-1 and don't make it.

I'll give the white hat some credit.  He got an earful from us on those two plays, and in the second half he threw some ballsy flags - they were correct per film, but calls that maybe he doesn't make if he wasn't trying to make up for the screwing we got.

Of course, they didn't catch the illegal formation (5 in backfield) that the other team used the entire OT period.  I didn't either, until JJ saw the film and pointed it out to me, LOL. BUT that could have been easily fixed by the other team so not that big of a deal.

ReplyQuote
HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze

Guess who is still the HC of his team? This guy  8). I spoke with my commissioner today and he told me that when this poop storm started, pretty much all but 3 families emailed him and the President and all of those were in my favor. Many of the Parents stated they were utterly clueless about the content of the petition because they never observed any of it during practice or games. They also stated that they thought that I was a good coach and was always positive when dealing with the kids. They even stated they questioned their boys on the petition and the boys all said that I never did anything like that stuff mentioned.

On of my AC's stepped up and held a Parents meeting and went in my place so I could coach and defended me and my other AC's attended as well and did the same. Many of my supportive parents told the angry parents they needed to stop trying to stab me in the back and stop telling lies to get attention and there was better ways of getting it. All 26 kids were present today nobody left.

That's great! I'm happy for you. The drama is such a bummer sometimes. Now you can have fun and play football.

"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: