Is unlimited weight...

Notifications
Clear all

Is unlimited weight ruining football?

Page 9 / 9

jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

That gets to a point I was making a few post up. Were you offended? I bet not. Did she mean to offend you? Doubt it. But there are people out there that would make a conscious decision to become offended by that exchange. Why? For me, the line is drawn when the intent is to offend or harm. Then you might see me get pissed. Probably not though. I'd most likely just move along.

I have a high tolerance for offense (meaning I'm hard to offend, I wrote that wrong initially).  Most people I know have a high threshold before taking offense.  But I also understand that I don't walk in everyone else's shoes, people have their own circumstances.  Do I roll my eyes at people so quick to take offense?  Yup, because most of the time I think it's BS.  That said, again, I don't always know WHY someone may get offended, and therefore whether they have a good reason.  Many do have good reasons, we just don't always know about them. Frankly, as white males in the US, we have very little to ever be offended about. Again as this election shows, this is still to some extent a bigoted, misogynistic society.

In college we were the Owls.  Our women's teams were the Lady Owls.  There was a big fuss by some on campus to take the "Lady" out of the name for the women's teams (this was 25 years ago, this isn't some recent thing). I spoke at an open forum against the elimination of "Lady", in support of allowing the teams to decide for themselves - they were the ones sweating and bleeding for the school, if THEY didn't mind it, we shouldn't either. Of course, I also had to stupidly add that (since they won and we didn't) I didn't blame them for wanting their own identity that wasn't associated with us. I had a couple of early morning team loyalty adjustment sessions after that comment hit the paper...

So yeah - if the Seminole tribe supports FSU using their name, no problem.

But Redskins or Redmen as referring to native Americans...no.

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold

Sup guys, I havent been around much as I been swamped at work. However, I just want to say that unlimited football is something we are trying for the first time this season. We are excited about it but I am also concerned as my olinemen is now not the big. Will see how it all goes though from a parents perspective.

As a coach I am excited about the opportunity ...

Helmet Decals
http://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Trying to strip the Washington football team of their name does infringe upon their freedom of speech imo. The NCAA doing the same also upsets me. When you face consequences of censorship and being banned from this or that is your freedom of speech being violated? Maybe not exactly in the eyes of the law but I think most would view it as such.

Anyway, I don't want to get into this with you because quite simply, we don't disagree. I'm just making an argument that PC often goes to far.

Not taking this personally at all, I understand your arguments.

Except if the NFL strips the Redskins of their name...who is infringing on whose freedom of speech?  That's not the government saying it's illegal.  That is the organization that is the NFL doing that to itself. If Snyder doesn't want to abide, he can withdraw from the NFL and start up his own league or become a barnstorming football team.

Additionally, my thought is that you don't get to suck at the public teat the way the NFL does and then ignore public opinion.

I don't disagree that the PC movement is a stifling of speech per se, but it's society policing itself, not the government restricting speech.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

That gets to a point I was making a few post up. Were you offended? I bet not. Did she mean to offend you? Doubt it. But there are people out there that would make a conscious decision to become offended by that exchange. Why? For me, the line is drawn when the intent is to offend or harm. Then you might see me get pissed. Probably not though. I'd most likely just move along.

R

No I wasn't offended at all but it certainly caught me off guard.

My best from from HS was black. My nickname for him was Clark Dark.  His buddies from his "hood" asked him why he hung out with me. He told them I had better weed. We attended a private school so lots of "hoods" involved.

He was KIA in Gulf War One. He was a career military man. He taught me a lot about racism. He never could understand why black people were treated better by white people compared to other black people.

True even today. Im sure your GF has some stories as well. I miss my old and dear friend.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Not taking this personally at all, I understand your arguments.

Except if the NFL strips the Redskins of their name...who is infringing on whose freedom of speech?  That's not the government saying it's illegal.  That is the organization that is the NFL doing that to itself. If Snyder doesn't want to abide, he can withdraw from the NFL and start up his own league or become a barnstorming football team.

Additionally, my thought is that you don't get to suck at the public teat the way the NFL does and then ignore public opinion.

I don't disagree that the PC movement is a stifling of speech per se, but it's society policing itself, not the government restricting speech.

I am very offended with how the Washington NFL team plays football.  😛

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

In your case "Redskin" wasn't referring to native Americans...which isn't the case with what we're talking about.

In our case, it definitely is.  We're an Indian-themed club.  Why?  I don't know.  It may be because this part of the Bronx has a lot of things named in local Indian languages, or named for Indians or their tribes.  Some parts of the country, for whatever reason, honor the Indians more than others.  I can understand why NY & NJ would have more names referencing the Dutch than the rest of the country does, but somehow that goes for Amer. Indian stuff too.

You can see it in our logo & name, and in the fact that our founder & president emeritus sometimes dresses with the feathers & is called "Chief", and in many of our team names.  In the flag div. almost all our teams have the names of tribes, and so do a few of our tackle teams; but we also have one named simply "Redskins".  The team names in the tackle divisions were mostly inherited from previously existing adult & teen football clubs, going back I don't know how long, that the Warriors are keeping alive; many of them match college & pro teams, so I suspect the Redskins get their name originally from the NFL club, rather than from the general Indian orient'n of the organiz'n.

It may be that of all those names & references, "Redskins" is offensive.  But where do you draw the line?  "Warrior" may itself be offensive if it suggests that Indians are particularly belligerent.  Someone could criticize the whole Indian theme as "cultural appropriation", which criticism is a fad in the news lately.  But we're not trying to give offense out of animus.  Trust me, I know prejudice & bigotry, as I've explained here about a few of my friends, and this is not that.

ReplyQuote
SmakAtak
(@smakatak)
Bronze

On being offended:

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 9
Share: