Notifications

It's not the drill...  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 15, 2020 4:15 pm  

So I have read Coach Potter type it like a zillion times..."it's not the drill, its the way you run the drill"...

I am not 100% sure I actually believed him until....

The league allowed us to hold conditioning camps, however we (registered coaches) were not allowed to run them. I thought this was a much better use of time than trying to have remote workouts via Zoom...so I picked up the phone and started calling parents on the team who I thought would do a good job...and only got one parent who could help...

So I then started calling parents from my last group of Dawgs...and I hit pay dirt...apparently they missed the way we ran practices and were more than willing...so I picked a lady who is also a personal fitness coach as the lead facilitator...she asked if she could run Circle of Death...I replied with my own question, are you comfortable running Circle of Death...she said she was...so I said okay...

She starts the drill, I am keeping time and letting her know when to change movements...and watching my boys "work", except they are not working...they are lollygagging...and we get to 10 minutes and they are still going strong...no tears, no strained faces, no grunts of exertion...

They made it 14 minutes...before I told her to shut it down...and not because they were in tremendous shape, some of them had done nothing since March...it was because the drill was not run the way I run it...

So Dave, you are right, its not the drill 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 15, 2020 4:57 pm  

One of our former players (Jr in HS) is now an assistant coach. He's been in charge of "football on a stick" since we started. We scrimmaged a team that goes on everything but "one" and looked like a bunch of clowns. The next day, I encouraged "football on a stick" coach to put some "oomph" into it. Even after that, he sounded like the teacher from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. "Anyone? Anyone?"

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 15, 2020 6:28 pm  
Posted by: @spidermac

The league allowed us to hold conditioning camps, however we (registered coaches) were not allowed to run them.

...I told her to shut it down...and not because they were in tremendous shape, some of them had done nothing since March...it was because the drill was not run the way I run it...

Do you think that was the reason they didn't allow registered coaches to conduct them?  To purposely limit their efficiency?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 15, 2020 6:45 pm  

Years ago, I saw a team doing "Whose Ball."  Except that it was being run like a pillow fight with zero intensity from the coaches.  The kids were getting nothing from the drill.  And personally, I think it's a great drill.  I've seen Circle of Death run as if it were a Sunday afternoon tea.  The kids got nothing from the drill. But a lot of these guys coach like they parent.  They don't teach children and hold them accountable.  They just say "do this" or "do that" without regard for the standard at which it's done.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

COACHDT liked
ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 15, 2020 7:46 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

Years ago, I saw a team doing "Whose Ball."  Except that it was being run like a pillow fight with zero intensity from the coaches.  The kids were getting nothing from the drill.  And personally, I think it's a great drill.  I've seen Circle of Death run as if it were a Sunday afternoon tea.  The kids got nothing from the drill. But a lot of these guys coach like they parent.  They don't teach children and hold them accountable.  They just say "do this" or "do that" without regard for the standard at which its done.

--Dave

I was often Hoarse after a rousing round of "Whose Ball".........Spent a lot of time on the ground "Getting Involved"  I would absolutely chastise the "Turtle" who rolled over and went into his shell.  Some very good "fights" over the ball.  Kids hated when the Drill was over.  

Sumo was very similar "Actively Involved" Rules were simple....Get them outside the Ring or On the Ground as fast as possible.  

At the same time, in accordance with the questions "How Do I get my kids to be more aggressive" I never set them up to fail.  Always tried to match skill set early on.  Most coaches would be surprised to see how fast kids change under the right circumstances.  I even had a few "MPP's" calling teammates out on Challenges.   The Job is always open you want it....go take it!   🙂

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
September 15, 2020 8:44 pm  

That drill used to absolutely wear me out! 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 16, 2020 12:22 am  

The two drills that took the most out of me were "Whose Ball" and the "Gauntlet."  Both typically took far longer to run than the other drills while demanding an enormous amount of intensity for their duration.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 16, 2020 10:13 am  

No Bob, the reason for the "no registered coaches" was the UIL requirement that practices cannot start until 9/7, but conditioning camps were allowed (allowed to be led by the coaches), so the restriction didn't make a lot of sense.

That said, I know why the restriction was there...because some of the coaches would have cheated the rule and started teaching football instead of just conditioning.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 16, 2020 10:16 am  

@coachdp

My team loves the drills that I stole from you...whose ball, fight club, 10 yard fight etc...

At the second conditioning session...I did engage during C.O.D., because I figured I am just facilitating conditioning 🙂

It went much better, grunts and groans and sweaty eyes and stress and more stress and hard work 🙂

Oh, and by the way..."It's not the drill..." 🙂

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper
September 16, 2020 11:05 am  

My kids love whose ball, we always have a whos ball champion that gets a helmet sticker every time we run it.  They know its coming when I start making a nice calm speech that escalates in intensity.  By the time the drill starts the whole world can hear me yelling "who's ball is it?"  As far as I'm concerned every drill sucks until you:

1. know what you are trying to accomplish from it.

2. learn how to run it so you can achieve your goals in #1.

Tackle baseball is another one.  Anyone can do angle tackling.....but are your kids intense after that tackle?  Are they competing?   Are they being selfless ? Are they overcoming their fear of contact so they can help their team win?   I have never seen a mpp when we run this drill.  If they miss they almost always get him the second try coming around 3B.  Even when they miss that one....the desire to compete for your teammates is instilled in his heart. None of that happens in an angle form tackling drill.  That being said, we don't run this drill until they have perfect form in tackle baseball practice(angle form fits).  Which happens quickly because they want to play.  

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 16, 2020 11:11 am  

My team loves the drills that I stole from you...whose ball, fight club, 10 yard fight etc...

Chris, you can choose a better word than that.  You didn't steal them.  I've had coaches steal from me (drills, articles and clinics posted online without permission) or worse, claiming they invented whatever it was that I've given away here.  You've used what was given.  And more importantly, you understood HOW to use it.  And BTW, 10 Yard Fight is Coach Calande's magnificent drill.  Every bit as useful to me over the years as Jack Gregory's Enduro.  If you don't have Steve's drill manual, I'd encourage everyone to buy it.  It's every bit as valuable as Coach Vallotton's The Toss.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 16, 2020 11:49 am  

@coachdp

Okay Dave, you are correct, you did give them to me 🙂

As an aside...we have 5 new kids on our team this season...4 who have never played before and one who came from another team, so he played against us...

So, as normal, start the drill with "Who can tell me what this is?" while holding up a football, I told the returning players to be quiet and let the new Dawgs answer...first player, "it's a football"...My reply, "close, but not correct"...then the new kid who had to play against us says "It's our ball" 🙂 He remembered us shouting that around the field when we played them last season...

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 16, 2020 2:23 pm  

So, as normal, start the drill with "Who can tell me what this is?" while holding up a football, I told the returning players to be quiet and let the new Dawgs answer...first player, "it's a football"...My reply, "close, but not correct"...then the new kid who had to play against us says "It's our ball" 🙂 He remembered us shouting that around the field when we played them last season...

See?  You never know who you've influenced.  Even when they haven't played for you.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Gold
September 17, 2020 11:57 am  

Crap...the kids I coached got this wrong...all of this time I had been telling them that it's the most important thing.  Can't score if you don't have it.  Opponent can't score if they do not have it.  We always want it.

I don't think Whose Ball is the worlds greatest recovery drill.  I think it's an excellent drill for a variety of other reasons, however.  First, I think it works great for younger players who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with contact.  I also think that it's great in terms of developing fight.  It's a physically exhausting drill, it's basically like wrestling without a timer.  I think it's a near-perfect possession drill.  When a player has the ball, he gains a great amount of experience on how to retain control of the ball.  If you consider that most plays only last 8 seconds and compare that to whose ball...having to hold onto that ball for that entire time is challenging...it's extreme.  Our program had a broken arm from this drill.  It wasn't the team I was coaching.  I didn't witness it but apparently the kids arm broke when another kid was yanking on it.  Ended his season before the first game.

"It's not the drill it's how you run it."
Coach Dave Potter has a tendency of being like a kung fu master...he almost would look the part if he grew out his facial hair into a foo-man chu or something.  I suspect after years of coaching and answering questions from other coaches, he has developed little mantras with the hope that it facilitates learning.  If you're like me, you're like "huh?!...it's not the drill, it's how you run it?  huh?"

Not to be contrarian simply for the fact of being contrarian...I posit, it is in fact the drill along with how you run it.  Logically speaking, if one were to run random drills but in a very intense or "correct" manner, it would not have the same benefit as running drills that correlate to skills that one wishes to advance.  Yet, I think the intention of Sensi' DP is to remind coaches that particular drills he may run are not what makes him and the teams he coaches successful.  The success is in WHY the drills are run, along with HOW they are run.  It's sage wisdom, for the inexperienced coaches who think that adopting a drill or plays or a system think that it's going to return success...it won't.

The difference is in something simple like running your offense on scout defense.  Offense runs a play, play goes off well for a huge gain or a touchdown.  What do you do?  The inexperienced coach thinks "great...the play went off how it was supposed to."  The experienced coach identifies shortcomings in the play, shortcomings in what the scout defense did.  The experienced coach is calling attention to the mistakes that were made. 

Both coaches are running a similar drill...but one is using the drill to identify problems and work to correct the problems, while the other coach is not.

Yes I know, I am certainly speaking to things everyone here knows...I just miss coaching and talking about this stuff.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Copper
Wisconsin
September 17, 2020 12:24 pm  

What is this "whose" ball stuff? "Whose" would mean an uncertain ownership of said ball.

To my teams its always "MY" ball. 

This post was modified 5 days ago by Lunchbox

CoachDP and spidermac liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: