Notifications

Making Your Game Field Special  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 26, 2017 10:53 am  

We have more cheerleaders than football players.  Have 5 different squads of cheer and only 2 tackle teams.  We have cheerleaders for our flag games.  The cheerleaders pay as much per kid as the football players do, so it helps keep up the revenue.

However, this year, I think that we will have 2-3 of those cheer teams going to Nationals as I think that they pretty much invite everyone.  :-X

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
DC
October 26, 2017 10:56 am  

Best pre-game thing ever:

Few years back one of our AC's was part of the local PD.

He showed up to the game one day with a huge walkie-talkie and I saw him sneak off behind the stands when the national anthem started.

He got the city police helicopter to fly low over the field right when Whitney Houston hit her famous D6 note the year she performed at the Super Bowl.

I'd be willing to bet some local PD's would bend over backwards for that kind of stuff if people just ask.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
October 26, 2017 11:02 am  

Well that escalated quickly.

Yeah, sounds like somebody's still bitter for never dating a cheerleader.  Or marrying one.

😉

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
October 26, 2017 11:04 am  

A friend of a friend mentioned recently that they told their kids when they were little that the ice cream truck plays music to let everyone know when it's out of ice cream.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
October 26, 2017 11:13 am  

Just so you know, cheerleaders are the most annoying thing on the planet.

Yep

When I moved here from Omaha- I burned all the cheer stuff
Too much drama

My deal with the cheer coaches was always this
"if someone isnt dead, dying or in the immediate threat of being killed, please refrain from speaking to me"

Then about 15 times a year they would come up to me with mickey mouse stuff " I know Im not supposed to talk to you but......" My response was _ I will need to go get my phone so I can call an ambulance- otherwise I need to get back to football
DRAMA

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 26, 2017 11:20 am  

Yep

When I moved here to Omaha- I burned all the cheer stuff
Too much drama

My deal with the cheer coaches was always this
"if someone isnt dead, dying or in the immediate threat of being killed, please refrain from speaking to me"

Then about 15 times a year they would come up to me with mickey mouse stuff " I know Im not supposed to talk to you but......" My response was _ I will need to go get my phone so I can call an ambulance- otherwise I need to get back to football
DRAMA

I have never seen a group of people go through more ice packs than cheerleaders.  I told our equipment people to stop giving them to the cheer coaches. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 26, 2017 11:59 am  

That would depend on how many hot Moms you could squirrel together.  😛

2nd graders next year!!!

2nd grade players = Moms in their 20's.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
October 26, 2017 12:04 pm  

2nd graders next year!!!

2nd grade players = Moms in their 20's.

And the occasional set of parents that make you uncomfortable asking if they are the grandparents or parents.... ::)

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
October 26, 2017 1:33 pm  

I have never seen a group of people go through more ice packs than cheerleaders.  I told our equipment people to stop giving them to the cheer coaches.

Im thinking the only guys who love having cheerleaders are the guys who have never had to actually deal with cheer coaches and all their drama
PITA has been my experience

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
October 26, 2017 1:41 pm  

Where we are in Brooklyn, field space is at an absolute premium.

My first season with the program, we played on an almost entirely dirt field miles away - had no practice permits (trying to run practice in the back corner of a baseball field, etc.). Being from the midwest where most youth teams played on the local HS field, had concessions, stands, etc., it was a huge shock. 

Our President told me we would "never" have practice permits and were lucky to have the dirt field for games. I told him that was a cop out and put together a compelling presentation which I gave to city council. Then continued to pester them and NYC Parks Dept.

We now have permits for all of our practices and games on the local turf soccer field. Not perfect - turf isn't great, we have to line it for football before every game, no booth / PA, no real stands (need to get that drone, ha), no concession area, bathroom is across the street, etc. But a HUGE improvement that our President just a few years ago told me was "impossible" to obtain.

For Homecoming / Playoffs we have a coach who brings his DJ equipment and serves as the announcer / DJ. The only smoke we have is from hipsters (and prob some parents) lighting up in the corner of the park though if I could find a logistically feasible way to add some "The U" style smoke, I'm sure the kids would love it.

Point is, we do the best with what we have. Of course I am envious when I travel back home to the midwest or other areas. We had a preseason game against Tito's team and he has a TOP NOTCH facility out there - was def a little jealous. Even at Brooklyn PSAL high schools, the facilities around here pale compared to what I'm used to growing up in the midwest let alone some of the insane HS facilities in Texas, FL, Cali, etc. So I think some of this is def relative to where you live, what is available, etc. and I appreciate how far we have come in terms of maxing out our situation.

We also have VERY cool jerseys with names on back which kids get to keep, helmet decals, etc. I buy them all pink socks for October - think they're more concerned w looking pretty
than supporting breast cancer but they def LOVE it.

Point being we try to max out whatever resources are available to present a "cool," modern image without going overboard (e.g. masks & capes - not happening no matter how "cool" it makes me).

But the biggest thing is still what you do on the field. We have played teams with really great fields and pretty uniforms and kicked their teeth in, I guarantee none of our kids left wishing they played for that team. We win the vast majority of our games scoring lots of points and getting everyone lots of PT.

As for cheerleaders I tell our players if they start brushing their teeth and using deodorant, some might actually show up one of these days... 😛

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 26, 2017 1:50 pm  

We had like 5 games this year before I even realized our team had cheerleaders. They're just noise in the background for me.

Only reason I found out we had a cheer team was cuz my wife works w/ one of the moms. My wife was like "ya, so & so's daughter cheers for your team." I was like "wait, we have a cheer team?" lol

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
October 26, 2017 2:13 pm  

When I played- a cheerleader I was dating asked me about how their cheering affected the players
They really think they have an impact on the game  ::)
I told her I had no clue what they did during games and their noise and the crowd noise meant absolutely nothing to me- I never heard it ever
That wasnt a popular answer  😉

The only advice I would should have added was it would be better for everyone if they could find something more constructive to do during games or at a bare minimum to at least stay completely out of the way from the players

And for the cheerleaders and parents that yell "fire up"- my wish is that they really understood what a waste of time saying that is

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 26, 2017 2:44 pm  

When I played- a cheerleader I was dating asked me about how their cheering affected the players
They really think they have an impact on the game  ::)
I told her I had no clue what they did during games and their noise and the crowd noise meant absolutely nothing to me- I never heard it ever
That wasnt a popular answer  😉

The only advice I would should have added was it would be better for everyone if they could find something more constructive to do during games or at a bare minimum to at least stay completely out of the way from the players

And for the cheerleaders and parents that yell "fire up"- my wish is that they really understood what a waste of time saying that is

Ya, def not a popular answer, but I think it would be a common response for most players/coaches.

I was talking w/ the mom of a former player the other day. Really awesome lady who i'd consider a friend. I coached both her boys. She coached the cheer team, & hearing her talk about those years, I had no idea she was so invested in the cheer program. I mean, she talked about it the way we talk about our great teams.

We won champipnships both years her kids were on the team, & to her, the cheer program was a part of those championships. Again, I barely even knew we had a cheer team either year. So that was a bit of an eye opener to me. At least some of the cheer people are REALLY invested in it.

I don't know if there's a better way to make the cheer team more aligned w/ the football team? It seems like maybe they could work well together, if both coaching staffs had the same goal? But I have no idea. I'm guessing it would probably just be too much of a distraction, particularly at the Jr High level.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
October 26, 2017 5:01 pm  

Yeah, sounds like somebody's still bitter for never dating a cheerleader.  Or marrying one.

😉

Actually I did marry one. Prom queen to boot. Biggest mistake of my life. Not bitter though. Happier now than ever before.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
October 26, 2017 5:08 pm  

Well that escalated quickly.

The way of the world. Think you're doing something nice and everything goes haywire. Things can snowball out of control quickly. One minute you're joking around, the frivolity causes some crazy chain reaction involving a goat, a marshmallow and Mrs. Jenkins leopard skin pill box hat and Donald Trump gets elected. I still feel bad about. Damn turnips.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: