RSS

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 5, 2019 11:40 am  

My housemate Bob, who's 63, recently told me a story from when he was in the band at his high school in northern NJ.  After the visiting team beat the home team in football, the visiting team's marching band marched onto the field to play.  Bob's band director then told their band director to get his band out of there, because as Bob sensed it then, their performing on the home field after their team's victory was taken as provocative, with the home crowd inclined to rumble!

Is that an element of post-game protocol with marching (or even non-marching) bands?  Or was Bob's school just rowdy?  I wouldn't've thought anything of it, but it'd have to be understood in the context of custom.

Rockets11
(@rockets11)
Bronze
September 5, 2019 2:29 pm  

In my experience the bands usually only play at halftime. 

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
September 6, 2019 6:29 am  

My son is a senior in the marching band.  In his 4 years (and the countless other years I've spent going to HS football games) I have never seen the visiting band march on the field after a victory.  Now at home games, when we win, the band and students kind of "storm" the field after the team is done with postgame handshakes with the other team.  They play Hail to the Victors and then the school fight song.  It's a nice little tradition.

At away games, when we win, the team comes over in front of the stands or wherever the marching band is and they play those same two songs.  But the band has never stormed the field at another school.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
September 6, 2019 6:52 am  

Its the ONLY College Game John Elway ever lost! 

"The Band Is On The Field!!"

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
September 6, 2019 7:36 am  

Here in Texas both teams bands play after the game the school fight song while facing their stands.

Our coach was very polite with this, he always waited for the opposing team to finish theirs then he allowed our band to play. Very respectful of other teams. He is a great coach.

He did have another team play their fight song after the game as always, then as he had our band start playing ours, the other team started playing other songs to interrupt our fight song. So he had the band stop and wait. They were a little salty at the A$$whoopin they just got I guess.
Ever notice that disrespectful teams are usually not that good

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 6, 2019 8:05 am  

Ever notice that disrespectful teams are usually not that good

^ This.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 9, 2019 11:00 am  

Here's some disrespect 😛 watch the second video on the feed....GA Coach elbows a piccolo player in the face....

https://twitter.com/bustinza_marcia/status/1170906677694083072

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
Share: