Maybe I'm just a ba...

Notifications
Clear all

Maybe I'm just a bad coach  

Page 4 / 23

billb7581
(@billb7581)
Bronze

It's almost like being an Olineman is a disease. Here on my team we strees the importance of it. Our guards always were backs on other teams, we sell it to them.

How in the heck do you do that?  That was our problem this year.  Kids that were O linemen on our league championsip team last year didnt want to play there, in fact they were happy being 10 snap bear crawlers.    We tried selling it, but they weren't buying. +

Coach - "congratulations you're the starting Power Tackle"

Kid - "I dont want to play there"

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We don't sell "positions."  We sell "football."  Either you want to play it, or you don't.  Either you want to hit, or you don't.  When I yell, "Give me the first 11," they all come running just trying to squeeze themselves into any spot.  They don't think about this position or that, they want to be on the first 11.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
billb7581
(@billb7581)
Bronze

At some point you have to assign them a position, no?

We had a couple of kids that wanted to play center, once we identified our center they weren't receptive to playing anywhere else on the oL.

I understand it's a failure in coaching, I admit, I am not the best coach in the world, I try to be knowledgable, but I couldnt figure out how to sell it. We couldn't get our best OL to play OL if our lives depended on it.    If we stuck them out there despite their protests, they just didnt try so they would get yanked.

ReplyQuote
Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze

My kids wanna play line for a couple reasons.
1.  I preach big time that it is our line that makes or breaks our O (that alone doesn't work so -)
2.  My linemen get special perks.  They get to take a couple breaks just for them during conditioning and we are a little bit more loose during our separate fundy times and I make it more fun and more like a special fraternity. 
3.  My linemen get to run the ball too.  I have been using a "Guard Surprise" play.  Even scored with it this last weekend. 
4.  The more harsh approach, but one I have used, even this year is this.  "Timmy, you are big, strong and probably going to be a great linemen!  If you really wanna play running back, you can try, but you will most likely be 3rd or 4th string and you will seldom get into the game and because you are good, it will hurt our team and won't be fun for you.  If you go for linemen, you will probably start both ways, and get to play so much you will be asking me for a break every game from being on the field all the time - you'll help your team - and you'll get to have more fun because I treat my linemen like kings (that last part I say with a smile kinda jokingly) ." 

But like Dave said - my guys know from day one that we are a team and they are ready to do whatever it takes to be a good football team.  "Selling Football"  is the key.  Every position should be fun. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

How in the heck do you do that?  That was our problem this year.  Kids that were O linemen on our league championsip team last year didnt want to play there, in fact they were happy being 10 snap bear crawlers.    We tried selling it, but they weren't buying. +

Coach - "congratulations you're the starting Power Tackle"

Kid - "I dont want to play there"

Kids love down field hitting drills. I feel bad when I tell them "no, we can't work on that today."

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Coach

I dont get it
In last 17 seasons Ive never had anyone try out for a position
We assign them after day 1 or 2 of practice
Have had almost zero issues
Because:
We let the parents know via email when they sign up what the deal is and tell them they can get a refund in 10 days if they want to
All positions the same- we max the team out by assigning the kid to that position that adds the most team value
We talk about it again at our mandatory parent meeting- which is first day of practice
We sell team, team, team to the kids- all positions equally important
Part of our weekly Character Themes- Selflessness, Teamwork
Had exactly 1 problem with it last year- dad approached me about his kid moving from 4 back to TE, I listened, let him know we didnt negotitate positions but as a courtesy I would explain why his son was too slow to play WB and why TE was the proper position for him. I also let him know if that wasnt going to work to bag up the kids gear and bring it to practice the next day. Bag was there at end of practice the next day- I had an awful team- but I didnt care- could have really used the kid at TE.

Done it this way at every stop I coached at: Inner City, Suburbs, Rural
Never had problems with it- HOWEVER I may have more power than most- I can tell them to hit the road without having to answer to anyone  😉
My linemen carry the ball when we are ahead and I coach them
This year 16 different kids scored TDs- ALL my players who were not striped carried the ball at least 3 times- the beauty of direct snap offenses  😉

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachRock
(@coachrock)
Bronze

I can relate very well to the original poster as I have struggled with this both this year and last. These last couple of weeks I just had to finally let it go and realize I was doing the best I could given my situation and just keep teaching.

Nothing from last year to this year was done the same, I changed everything and used every method and trick I learned this off-season and it made zero difference in on the field results.

Granted I cold use a few more committed coaches but no one is going to tell me talent does not matter. We have kids who are busting their butts and some that quit but I can honestly say that those that have stayed both this year and last got better as the year went on they just don't have the raw skills to compete in our current league.

I had the pleasure to coach in a org that won 10 championships in 11 years that I was an AC so I know the difference between talent and no talent. Also the community and the parental commitment makes a huge difference as well. With this new org we lack any community support and the parental commitment to date as been extremely poor to say the least.

We have a coaches meeting tonight to discuss our plan for next year and getting this org down the right path. I am supposed to move up to the Varsity (13-14 year olds 190lb limit) and right now I am looking at 5 players form JV moving up to join 4 returning players on Varsity assuming those 4 stay next year. Needless to say we have to do some serious recruiting for next year. Of those 9 players only 1 of them weighs more than 120 lbs.

As an org we are severely undersized and inexperienced at the JV and Varsity Levels. I don't care how much heart and fight a kid has if he is running up against 4 and 5 year vets that have 70-100 pounds on you something is going to give and it typically ain't the brick wall.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Coach

I dont disagree with everything you say BUT
I coached several inner city teams where we had 2 parents in the stands
Lots of kids never saw their parents 1 time in 5 years

The kids wouldnt miss practice, because they loved it, they wanted to be part of something bigger than themselves
They wanted to be around the team and coaches
About 90% walked to practice
1 kid moved from the area= he took the city bus every day- had to transfer in downtown- carried his gear in a plastic sack- UNTIL we found out and got him a ride

Not all areas the same
But there are solutions

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

How are you uncomfortable with your schemes?  If you know your schemes, how are you not able to implement them at this age level, or why are you uncomfortable doing so?  I'm a Double Wing guy, and I'm going to be running the DW whether I'm coaching 7-8s, or high school kids.

--Dave

You've got a lot in your posts that's going to take some time for me to digest. Since this is one of your first questions, I'll respond to it first.

When I had the older kids last season, I knew what I was going to run. Basically, it was a watered down Auburn type offense that featured sweep and jet sweep from the gun. That's what I ran all season. Everything I created was based for the older kids which I was expecting to coach again this season. Then I was told at the very last minute, in fact several days after conditioning practices had already started, that I would be the HC for the freshman kids. The "board" did not like the fact that I was running spread stuff and essentially demanded that I run wing-t. Additionally, the freshman play under different rules with a deadman zone on defense. At the higher levels, we saw odd fronts, 3-3 stacks, 5-2, and gap defenses. Now that I've been with the freshman, it's all 6-2 stuff with head ups on Gs and Ts and place two defenders outside the emols. Since I also do not like the wing-t, I had to scramble to try to put something together. Defensively was the same thing. I was set to run 10-1/10-1 special, but rules nixed that. So I tried to do a 26 that didn't do well and eventually switched to Jack's 63 which I'm still trying to learn.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

Vince, can you explain the former?  How does 2-4 translate to executing really well?  Just trying to understand what you see or how you are looking at things.

These past few weeks that I've been working in our youth org, I have found that their coaches don't see what I see, and vice versa.  It's frustrating to be asked for advice, give them advice and yet they still go back to doing things how they did it before.  It's as if they don't see, care or understand.

--Dave

Two games, we lost by less than 6 points that we could have easily won. Last year, the offense was very consistent. Except for two games, we averaged 3 TDs/game and moved the ball very well. Defense was the problem. That was a result of me being told that I had to let one of the ACs run something. So I gave him the defense. I was running the DC46. He decided to change it to who knows what. I guess it was some sort of a 62. I was green and stupid. I would ask if there was anything he wanted to cover, any drills? No.

From that experience, I learned 1. that the AC will run my defense and 2. I will plan out the practices for both offense and defense, including drills, etc. That's how I have been running it this season.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

I think another suggestion on here was about getting together with coaches. That's great if you know who your coaches are. Our ACs are all volunteer dads and we don't usually find out who are ACs are until sometimes a week and a half after we've started our first practices.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I think another suggestion on here was about getting together with coaches. That's great if you know who your coaches are. Our ACs are all volunteer dads and we don't usually find out who are ACs are until sometimes a week and a half after we've started our first practices.

You can't request to coach with someone?  I am a volunteer and I don't coach with just anyone.   

It's a lot of work and time away from family to be miserable for a season with someone who has no clue what they are doing or at the very least won't stay out of your way.  Worse he forces you to do everything wrong. 

Also, org. doesn't tell me what I can and cannot run if they want me to help.  They can always tell me to go pound sand, but it works two ways.  I'll go across the way and kick their butts.     

I will only run something different then what I want to run if the h.s. coach requests that I run his system to help his program.  I can respect that.  Never had a h.s. coach request that though.

ReplyQuote
Coach Ed
(@coach-ed)
Copper

Coach, you will learn the most about YOURSELF! this season. Take good notes on whats going on. You will know by seasons end What Works, and What Doesn't Work! You will also find out who (Coaches) on your team/organization really give a crap. Some Coaches will avoid you, and blame you! If you truly are a Good Coach, TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILTY FOR THE RECORD,...... AND MOVE ON! DON'T PASS THE BLAME.

Three years ago I went 0-8, all three of my assistants that year are no longer Coaching Youth Football. After taking full responsibility for that season, we went 7-1 and won the championship. This year we will finsih 6-2. 

*That 0-8 season, I tried running the Single Wing/Spin and a 4-4 D which I knew nothing about.

***A FEW OF THE PLAYERS THAT WERE ON THAT 0-8 TEAM ARE STARTING FRESHMAN THIS YEAR AT THE LOCAL H.S. 3 ARE STARTERS AT THE LOCAL POWERHOUSE "Private HS" 🙂 They learned something!

Hang in there! 

ReplyQuote
billb7581
(@billb7581)
Bronze

Coach

I dont get it
In last 17 seasons Ive never had anyone try out for a position
We assign them after day 1 or 2 of practice
Have had almost zero issues
Because:
We let the parents know via email when they sign up what the deal is and tell them they can get a refund in 10 days if they want to
All positions the same- we max the team out by assigning the kid to that position that adds the most team value
We talk about it again at our mandatory parent meeting- which is first day of practice
We sell team, team, team to the kids- all positions equally important
Part of our weekly Character Themes- Selflessness, Teamwork
Had exactly 1 problem with it last year- dad approached me about his kid moving from 4 back to TE, I listened, let him know we didnt negotitate positions but as a courtesy I would explain why his son was too slow to play WB and why TE was the proper position for him. I also let him know if that wasnt going to work to bag up the kids gear and bring it to practice the next day. Bag was there at end of practice the next day- I had an awful team- but I didnt care- could have really used the kid at TE.

Done it this way at every stop I coached at: Inner City, Suburbs, Rural
Never had problems with it- HOWEVER I may have more power than most- I can tell them to hit the road without having to answer to anyone  😉
My linemen carry the ball when we are ahead and I coach them
This year 16 different kids scored TDs- ALL my players who were not striped carried the ball at least 3 times- the beauty of direct snap offenses  😉

We didnt hold tryouts either.  We put the players in the positions where they projected to do the best per the drills.  The entire right side of the line were unhappy with their spot.    My kid was the LG, so it's not like we did Daddyball or anything.  LE was 2 rotational kids who were happy just to be playing.

We're not allowed to run anyone off and couldn't afford to anyhow because you have to field 16 or else you fold the team
, and everyone has to play 10 plays per pop warner rules .

ReplyQuote
Coach D
(@coach-d)
Bronze

You can't request to coach with someone?  I am a volunteer and I don't coach with just anyone.   

It's a lot of work and time away from family to be miserable for a season with someone who has no clue what they are doing or at the very least won't stay out of your way.  Worse he forces you to do everything wrong. 

Also, org. doesn't tell me what I can and cannot run if they want me to help.  They can always tell me to go pound sand, but it works two ways.  I'll go across the way and kick their butts.     

I will only run something different then what I want to run if the h.s. coach requests that I run his system to help his program.  I can respect that.  Never had a h.s. coach request that though.

I decided years ago after a bad experience that I would never "inherit" ACs again.  I have guys I trust on "staff" and guys that want to help as "helpers".  Those are the guys that change from year to year.  That sounds like a headache having to wait for help like that! 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 23
Share: