Meeting  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 15, 2020 4:02 pm  

Have a meeting on Wednesday with the header and staff of another high school.  It seems they're looking for offensive help.  We'll see how it goes...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote, bigshel, rpatric and 1 people liked
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
March 16, 2020 1:37 pm  

Best of Luck Dave.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 16, 2020 2:07 pm  
Posted by: @youth-coach

Best of Luck Dave.

Thanks Scott.  We'll see...I didn't set up the meeting, and I have no idea what their interest is.  Who knows?  With all that's going on in the world, football may be done.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 19, 2020 11:00 am  

Met last night.  Arrived at 5pm.  Left a bit after 8pm.  It was a group meeting.  The HC and his AC from a local school, with myself and 5 others.  We all introduced ourselves and gave something about our background.  I had a lot of questions for the header.  I liked him and his AC but I came away with still more questions.  It's a tiny high school (1A) with approximately 100 boys.  Facilities are minimal. No conference affiliation.  They have a program, but barely.  We'd like to get a meeting with the HC and the principal.  So if they'll both meet, we'll talk again.  If not, then this dies on the vine.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze
March 19, 2020 1:27 pm  

Are you not coaching at the high school that runs the Air Raid anymore?

With the amount of time you're willing to put into a program, along with your experience, I'd think that most any high school would love to have you on board. Finding the right spot can be tough and tricky. It goes to show you that some head coaches don't care if they have good assistants, they just want guys that do what they're told. And some would rather you do not do too good of a job.

For instance, when I was coaching freshman football a few years ago, my freshman team got on a roll after a slow start. The varsity team was getting blown out every week. I could just "feel" the varsity hc and ac's wanted us to lose. There was nothing derogatory said, but there were no compliments either. Not even after we beat a local powerhouse in a very exciting home game.

Good luck with the job search, hope you find a good situation somewhere.

This post was modified 4 months ago by chucknduck

flexbone liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 19, 2020 7:00 pm  
Posted by: @chucknduck

--Yes, I am.  But it's AirRaid....

With the amount of time you're willing to put into a program, along with your experience, I'd think that most any high school would love to have you on board.

--That's the prob.  I'm not really interested in just being "on board." 

For instance, when I was coaching freshman football a few years ago, my freshman team got on a roll after a slow start. The varsity team was getting blown out every week. I could just "feel" the varsity hc and ac's wanted us to lose. There was nothing derogatory said, but there were no compliments either. Not even after we beat a local powerhouse in a very exciting home game.

--I know that situation well.  In the 2 years I was at CHS, the one year I was at GHHS and the one year I was at EWHS, we bettered the Varsity record every time.  The single quickest way to find yourself out the door is to have a JV team that's more successful than the Varsity.

Good luck with the job search, hope you find a good situation somewhere.

--Thanks Coach.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
March 28, 2020 11:38 pm  

Coach you have an interesting point of view with all your experiences and current situation.

1. As a run the ball first to win mentality, what are those other guys thinking (philosophically & how do they try to execute it)?

2. What do they do to try to account for lack of talent or lesser talent than the opposition?

3. Pros & Cons of trying to win by pass to win?

4. You can always take the good stuff from anything imo, what are some positives you have learned that you will incorporate into your program?

5. What is most frustrating?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 29, 2020 1:23 am  
Posted by: @flexbone

1. As a run the ball first to win mentality, what are those other guys thinking (philosophically & how do they try to execute it)?

--Not sure who you're referring to by "those other guys."  The other schools I've coached at?  Or the coaches I just interviewed with?  We didn't discuss X & Os with the group I just interviewed with.  That was just an infrastructure discussion.  Winning is not an issue, nor a concern for me because the result is ALWAYS a byproduct of what you do.  Want a green yard?  Tend your lawn.  It's that simple.  However, it's not easy because tending your lawn requires a lot of work.  As for the other schools I've coached at where I was the JV OC or header, what were they thinking about what?  I don't know what you're referring to.

2. What do they do to try to account for lack of talent or lesser talent than the opposition?

--Again, I don't understand the question.  Who are you referring to?  If you're talking about my previous high school jobs, I don't know what the Varsity headers did to account for anything.  The first header I worked for was completely inept.  He'd never been a header or coordinator before and knew nothing about the Double Wing.  That's the only reason they brought me in.  Our JVs lead the conference in scoring and played for the conference title.   The next school's header gave me carte blanche and let me do my own thing.  I don't know what he did as we practiced separately and in completely different locations.  My JVs went 8-1 and averaged 31 ppg.  The next school's header was lazy and that was perhaps his best quality.  I had to fight to do my own thing.  We went 7-2.  He won 3 games and resigned after one season.  His DC was named header and I wasn't retained.

--Pass to win?  I've only coached at 2 schools that did that.  When I was the JV header at GHHS in 2016 and last year at MCHS.  Both were AirRaid schools.  The pros were that at both schools we put lots of points on the board and could score quickly.  The cons were that we've never had good defenses at either school because we weren't dominating time of possession. We'd score so fast that our defense was going back on the field again and again.  Man, I hate that.  Plus, with AirRaid, you're only as good as your QB and receivers.  With the Double Wing, I don't require a good QB & Receivers.  As a matter of fact, none of my Backs from any of my high school JV teams went on to play college football.

4. You can always take the good stuff from anything imo, what are some positives you have learned that you will incorporate into your program?

--We are a communication-based staff.  We communicate with parents, players, admin and our coaches.  I believe we excel at it.  We're very organized. I don't focus on the endgame; I focus on getting the most out of the day that we possibly can.  We'll work 24/7/365, if that's what it takes.

--1) I don't suffer fools gladly.  Most coaches complain about the rain, when all they need to do is bring an umbrella.

--2) I'm amazed at how many men who coach this sport are afraid.  Afraid of the opponents they have to play, afraid that their schedule doesn't have enough home games, afraid that their opponents are getting all the talent, afraid that their own players are too young, too small, won't hit or aren't aggressive.  For a sport that puts a premium on leadership and coaching, how can so many grown men who are afraid, also be good leaders of young men?  Answer: they can't.

--3) I can't stomach a lazy coach or admin.  If you don't have a burning passion to do it better than anyone else, then step away and give someone else a crack at it.  

--4) Men who can't handle an honest assessment of who they are; Coaches and admin who refuse to look in the mirror and accept responsibility.

--I don't know if I answered your questions satisfactorily.  I wasn't sure of what you were asking or what you were relating it to.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze
March 29, 2020 3:09 am  
Posted by: @chucknduck

--Yes, I am.  But it's AirRaid....

All my questions stemmed from this comment. I concluded (maybe incorrectly) that you're currently coaching at an AirRaid offense which is pass first type of offense? If you're not currently coaching under an AirRaid offense then all of my questions wouldn't have made sense lol.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 29, 2020 12:13 pm  

All my questions stemmed from this comment. I concluded (maybe incorrectly) that you're currently coaching at an AirRaid offense which is pass first type of offense? If you're not currently coaching under an AirRaid offense then all of my questions wouldn't have made sense lol.

Okay, well let me try again.  lol

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
March 29, 2020 12:54 pm  

--What are they thinking?  Who knows?  Why are they thinking that way?  Because they're conventional in their approach.  I see it in everything from the meetings, to the practice plan, to game day execution.  They think that the passing game is the be-all and end-all and that running the football is not only secondary in terms of its importance, but boring.  I also believe the "aesthetic" of the passing game has much to do with their decision. 

--They DON'T.  Because they believe that talent is the number 1 reason for winning (or losing) games.  And for the most part they're correct because when two teams teaching a conventional scheme with conventional practice methodology with coaching staffs of similar abilities, then yes the talent on the field does determine the outcome.  Which is one reason that I run an unconventional scheme; I don't have to worry about an even playing field and talent determining the outcome.

--Pros?  We can score quickly when we have more talent.  Really quickly.  Cons?  Good defenses know how to defend us because they see this scheme with almost every opponent.

--I am much more knowledgable about the passing game and how to incorporate it into the Double Wing.

--Being the Runningbacks Coach on a team where running the ball is an afterthought.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

flexbone liked
ReplyQuote
Share: