RSS

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
September 11, 2020 1:07 pm  

I know in the past, long before I joined this Forum, there were quite a few Coaches on here. Over the past couple of years I have noticed a decrease in numbers.

However, it seems as of late there have been quite a bit of new members joining. Why must it be that only about 10 of us have anything to say? How can we encourage our new members to speak up?

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 11, 2020 2:37 pm  
Posted by: @rpatric

I know in the past, long before I joined this Forum, there were quite a few Coaches on here. Over the past couple of years I have noticed a decrease in numbers.

However, it seems as of late there have been quite a bit of new members joining. Why must it be that only about 10 of us have anything to say? How can we encourage our new members to speak up?

Great question. I have no answers. Been an ongoing problem for as long as I can remember. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 11, 2020 4:10 pm  

There's a decrease in coaching/coaches period, long before COVID.  COVID has just exacerbated the issue.  In addition, this site is just representative of society/real life, in that for every coach that wants to learn, there are dozens that simply have no interest.  The number of posts regarding: "I told 6 other coaches in our org that they should come on here, but they never did" are legion.  

This is essentially a youth football site.  Most youth coaches A) aren't in it for the long haul and B) also want the quick fix.  So why would they come here?  I've said over and again, look at the "discussions" of youth football coaches on Facebook.  Their ilk is representative of the majority.

And despite the great work that Chris has done getting this site up and running, it's not the easiest site to use as far as finding how to get from point A to point B.   Maybe that's because I was so familiar with the old site.  

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 12, 2020 10:16 am  

Wasn't it about a year ago when the site reorganized that the plan was to expand it with areas for other sports?  How do you get such an effort off the ground?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 12, 2020 10:49 am  
Posted by: @coachdp  

This is essentially a youth football site.  Most youth coaches A) aren't in it for the long haul and B) also want the quick fix.  

C) most discussions on here shatter preconceptions and prejudices. Many coaches aren't willing to change their mind.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 12, 2020 12:36 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co
Posted by: @coachdp  

This is essentially a youth football site.  Most youth coaches A) aren't in it for the long haul and B) also want the quick fix.  

C) most discussions on here shatter preconceptions and prejudices. Many coaches aren't willing to change their mind.

I agree with all of these statements. I'll add that some coaches are too stubborn to admit they need help. When I mentioned to a coach in my league that I came out here last season, his response was, "maybe you need help, but I know football, so I don't". Thanks to the Killer Bee and Coach Parker's Beast Left 17 Tank, I beat him 21-0 in week 1 at full strength and 4-0 (with only 10 players) later in the season.

Count on me being an active participant out here for the long haul. I've learned a lot and I need to keep learning. There's always someone that has a better way!

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 10:40 am  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

When I mentioned to a coach in my league that I came out here last season, his response was, "maybe you need help, but I know football, so I don't".

lol.  That's genuinely funny.  

Another issue with participating is that coaches have to be willing to share and explain information.  Many won't do that.  Most will read, but won't share.  (This forum is a perfect example of that.)  And many that will ask questions, won't answer when they're questioned.  I think they worry that they will be exposed if they're asked to explain what/why/how they do things.  IMO, most football coaches are very poor leaders.  They tell their players to "toughen up" but they themselves complain about silly things like who's in their bracket and on their schedule.  They complain about having to play this or that team, and worry about how someone else has stacked their team.  It's a competitive sport, yet many don't want to play until/unless they have competitive advantages placed on their side (Pop Warner was a perfect example of this with so many more teams in Division 2 than 1).  I don't understand how they're supposed to lead a group of young men when they themselves are so worried that their opponent "should be in the other division" or "we only got 3 home games and they got 7."  Being a cryer is fine, but don't lead young men while doing it.  They'll pick up that same weak habit.  And those that are weak don't want to be challenged.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper
September 14, 2020 11:40 am  

Much of what I have learned is from reading through years of posts on this site, and watching clinics/conclaves that this site has led me to.   I don't ask many questions because I find answers I'm looking for by searching.  I have learned a great deal about how to teach kids and why/how to teach certain skills/techniques instead of others.  This site has been invaluable to me as a coach.  I've always believed for me to ask my players to give their best effort I needed to give my best effort to have them prepared. This is one of many resources I use to try to achieve that.  

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 11:47 am  
Posted by: @hawk2018

I've always believed for me to ask my players to give their best effort I needed to give my best effort to have them prepared. 

I wish more coaches believed that.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 14, 2020 12:12 pm  

@hawk2018

I call it "coach hustle". How many guys DEMAND that their players RUN on the field, but refuse to scout?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachSteel
(@coachsteel)
Copper
OC
September 14, 2020 12:21 pm  

I think Covid has played a large part in the lack of participation on the forum. I’m in California and we’ve shut it down for this season. As a fairly new coach (4 years this would have been my 5th) a lot of the time, if I’m posting on here it’s a question I have on a situation I haven’t come across before or a schematic question for an upcoming opponent. As a newer coach I use this forum as a way to get advice or get confirmation from guys with more experience than myself. Im always trying to learn and educate myself as much as possible witch is why I still read the forum on the daily. But the urgency for answers that most new members might normally post this time of year aren’t being posted because they don’t have team to coach.

This post was modified 1 month ago by CoachSteel

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 14, 2020 12:27 pm  

@coachsteel

I was thinking the amount of posts has picked up since the start of the pandemic.  This place was dead last winter.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
September 14, 2020 12:39 pm  

@32wedge

Nathan, I agree with you that the amount of activity has picked up since Covid hit. I was really just wondering why there are 5,549 members on the Forum, but only a few of us speak. Maybe there just aren't very many people checking in these days, I just thought it was strange that there has been so many new members and none of them feel they can add to the conversation. Not even a "Hello", "What's Up Coaches, my name is ….", "Go F#&* Yourself". Nothing at all

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 14, 2020 1:31 pm  

There are some very active new members who post very long advertisements for their products in Chinese.  I delete those posts so the lack of new member participation is my largely my fault. 😆

I think a lot of new members are looking for a playbook or an answer to a specific question.  They ask one question, get the answer and leave because either that’s all they wanted or they are pissed off by the answer they got.

I think even more are a little intimidated by the conversations on here.  That leaves us with the 10 or so thick skinned old regulars on here bantering back and forth.

I also think that youth football is shrinking in participation nationwide and their are more old coaches getting squeezed out than young new ones wanting to learn.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 1:47 pm  

I was really just wondering why there are 5,549 members on the Forum

There aren't.  

Just because I became a forum member of Hotrodded Harleys in 2007, doesn't mean that I still post there, or even visit.  Heck, I may not even still have a Harley (actually I do), but my point is that of 5,549 members, I wonder how many of them are even still coaching?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: