Page 2 / 3
  RSS

J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 14, 2020 1:57 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

@coachsteel

I was thinking the amount of posts has picked up since the start of the pandemic.  This place was dead last winter.

You're right, it has picked up.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 2:02 pm  

There are some very active new members who post very long advertisements for their products in Chinese.  I delete those posts so the lack of new member participation is my largely my fault. 😆

--I was wondering why I never heard back from Coach Lin Yi Tang.

I think a lot of new members are looking for a playbook or an answer to a specific question.

--Ooo!  Ooo!  Gimme a free facemelter playbook!  Especially one that shows the offensive "plays" against only one front!  Especially one that doesn't have blocking rules!

They ask one question, get the answer and leave because either that’s all they wanted or they are pissed off by the answer they got.

--Can't imagine a Lombardi or Belichick walking out of a clinic because they got their feelings hurt.

I think even more are a little intimidated by the conversations on here.  

--Good grief, it's not like we're talking rocket surgery here.  I think the first clinic I ever attended, the Linebackers Coach of Notre Dame (Kirk Doll) was a speaker.  Then former NFL coach Lou Saban spoke, then Larry Kehres spoke.  I had 2 seasons of being a 7-9 header under my belt and stayed afterwards to talk with Coach Saban.  There was no way for me to be intimidated by material that I didn't understand.  lol

That leaves us with the 10 or so thick skinned old regulars on here bantering back and forth.

--There's 10?

I also think that youth football is shrinking in participation nationwide and their are more old coaches getting squeezed out than young new ones wanting to learn.

--Youth football is definitely shrinking.  Has been for quite some time.  COVID will shrink it even more.  Add to that, many orgs have a rule that you must be a dad to coach.  I dunno if that's a security-thing or (like dumbing down the rules), they figure if all the coaches are equally as bad, then it's a more level playing field.  I remember when I lived in South Carolina for a short time.  I was looking for a coaching job and while the local youth org wouldn't allow me to coach a team, they did ask me to train their coaches. 🤫  I guess they felt a team with an experienced coach was an unfair advantage.  I ended up returning to NC when I got a high school job.

--Dave 

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 2:13 pm  

I was thinking the amount of posts has picked up since the start of the pandemic.  This place was dead last winter.

Nathan, that was last WINTER.  We're now right at the beginning of football season.  That's why this joint is hopping! 🙄 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 14, 2020 2:24 pm  

@coachdp

Yes, but it was deader than ever.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 14, 2020 2:47 pm  

I'm happy to see the activity pick up.

I posted a fair amount when I first got started coaching. I was WAY behind the football curve and this place helped me catch up. At that time I had complete control of everything we were doing with our teams. I came here for ideas as well as to share some things we were doing. This place was great for that.

After I got the HS job, I stopped checking in. I had a TON of stuff that I had to learn. Unfortunately, it was all specific to our system and the only coach on here who had that information was MHCoach, so I called him directly.

I gleaned a lot from this site and I am more than willing to contribute where I can. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 3:02 pm  
Posted by: @seabass

had that information was MHCoach, so I called him directly.

Josh, I get that.  As a high school header, I really didn't have time for "What's the best offense for 7-year-olds?" or "How do I get my players to be more aggressive?"  But I'm glad to see that you're still with it.  You have a lot to offer kids and that's why we do what we do.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 14, 2020 4:05 pm  

@coachdp

Thanks Dave...I'll likely be at this til they tell me I can't. I even got a new hip recently so I can get back into a stance again. My original hips must have been made overseas because they wore out at 40....🤣 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 4:17 pm  

I even got a new hip recently so I can get back into a stance again. My original hips must have been made overseas because they wore out at 40....🤣 

lol.  Josh, you've got to assign a player or coach to be your personal "demonstrator."  I've had one of those for years. 😆

--Dave 

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 14, 2020 4:51 pm  
Posted by: @rpatric

@32wedge

Nathan, I agree with you that the amount of activity has picked up since Covid hit. I was really just wondering why there are 5,549 members on the Forum, but only a few of us speak. Maybe there just aren't very many people checking in these days, I just thought it was strange that there has been so many new members and none of them feel they can add to the conversation. Not even a "Hello", "What's Up Coaches, my name is ….", "Go F#&* Yourself". Nothing at all

I get a lot of emails and PMs on Facebook from Members asking what happened to the Forum. Having to jump thru a hoop or two to get back on has not helped traffic. I honestly think I have heard from over 100 on this alone. I answer every request. Im thinking maybe 1000 or so just moved on. Of those 5500 Members....at least half have not logged on in years. There is a data base that showed this on the old Site. No idea about this new site. I truly believe that this place needs to go Multi Sport in order to survive. Since I only coach football....I will be no help in this Dept. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 14, 2020 5:36 pm  

@mahonz

It took me almost 6 months (off and on) of trying to get back on. To be honest, I'm not even certain how I got it fixed...it just worked one day.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 6:27 pm  

With the technical difficulties and the forum shutdown, I'm surprised that anyone's here, TBH.  And we can post on Facebook all we want about "bringing the discussion over here," but most aren't interested.

And I'm not interested in taking the discussion over there because the only thing dumber than the questions asked, are the answers.  I think I was a member of 10 football forums on FB.  Now that's down to 3 or 4. And I (infrequently) post on perhaps 2 of them.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 14, 2020 6:58 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

With the technical difficulties and the forum shutdown, I'm surprised that anyone's here, TBH.  And we can post on Facebook all we want about "bringing the discussion over here," but most aren't interested.

And I'm not interested in taking the discussion over there because the only thing dumber than the questions asked, are the answers.  I think I was a member of 10 football forums on FB.  Now that's down to 3 or 4. And I (infrequently) post on perhaps 2 of them.

--Dave

To this day I have yet to figure out how to follow a discussion on FB. So I quit trying. I will say their new format helps....a little. 

Now my favorite NFL Forum has upgraded their format and its a chit show. I rarely participate anymore. Half of every option is broken. 

SBNation for those in the know. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 14, 2020 7:01 pm  

@mahonz

It took me almost 6 months (off and on) of trying to get back on. To be honest, I'm not even certain how I got it fixed...it just worked one day.

Well...thank you for being persistent ! 

Nothing against Chris...at all....he has worked tirelessly on this Site for years for very few $$$. For him...I hope this place survives. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 14, 2020 7:25 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz
Posted by: @rpatric

@32wedge

Nathan, I agree with you that the amount of activity has picked up since Covid hit. I was really just wondering why there are 5,549 members on the Forum, but only a few of us speak. Maybe there just aren't very many people checking in these days, I just thought it was strange that there has been so many new members and none of them feel they can add to the conversation. Not even a "Hello", "What's Up Coaches, my name is ….", "Go F#&* Yourself". Nothing at all

I get a lot of emails and PMs on Facebook from Members asking what happened to the Forum. Having to jump thru a hoop or two to get back on has not helped traffic. I honestly think I have heard from over 100 on this alone. I answer every request. Im thinking maybe 1000 or so just moved on. Of those 5500 Members....at least half have not logged on in years. There is a data base that showed this on the old Site. No idea about this new site. I truly believe that this place needs to go Multi Sport in order to survive. Since I only coach football....I will be no help in this Dept. 

How about an email blast to members who haven't logged in for awhile?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold
September 14, 2020 8:07 pm  

Coach Huey sends me e-mails alerting me to new topics... it’s about every other week. Im not pretending to have any idea what that entails  

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: