Michaels "3 la...

Notifications
Clear all

Michaels "3 lane speed way"

Page 2 / 3

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Yeah, I came up with the third lane for the Patriots drill.

Zach then used it for his sprints.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze

Yeah, I came up with the third lane for the Patriots drill.

Zach then used it for his sprints.

Michael where is the description of the patriot drill? I would like to run it tonight

Team work: good as gold

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Starting line, three cones eight or so yards apart, football eight yards or so later in the center of the lane. So the course is about 32 yards.

Bear crawl, side roll left, bear crawl, side roll right, bear crawl, forward roll, up and running and then dive on the football.

The rolls are when you get to a cone.

You're done when you secure the football.

We go both directions, so the starting line is the footballs for the other end's finish line.

And no, we don't go "Whose Ball?" with it. Each lane has its own football at the finish.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Lazarus
(@lazarus)
Bronze

And no, we don't go "Whose Ball?" with it. Each lane has it's own football at the finish.

What is the reason for NOT doing this?  Takes away from the drill?  Seems like something to add to the fun of the drill...

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

I ran one of Michaels drills last night and a kid got a concussion...first one in 3 years....I run all sorts of Dave Potter's drills and never had this sort of problem.

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I ran one of Michaels drills last night and a kid got a concussion...first one in 3 years....I run all sorts of Dave Potter's drills and never had this sort of problem.

Which one...and howd you run it

Bc usually the application is the problem not the drill.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Pretty sure it was 3-cone.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Pretty sure it was 3-cone.

Ive ran 3 cone with a yard of space only between players, never had an issue...i also never told a kid block with their head lol

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

What is the reason for NOT doing this?  Takes away from the drill?  Seems like something to add to the fun of the drill...

Be careful with over stimulating in a drill

Each drill should have a purpose... i dont think something as physical as whose ball belongs in a drill we are looking at coordination.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Who's ball is a low rep drill and will slow things down. We incorporated into a a few things with a quick whistle but that quick whistle kinda defeats the purpose of who's ball.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Who's ball is a low rep drill and will slow things down. We incorporated into a a few things with a quick whistle but that quick whistle kinda defeats the purpose of who's ball.

That is why you set up multiple Whose Ball drills at once. Every coach on the staff can run a match up.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

That is why you set up multiple Whose Ball drills at once. Every coach on the staff can run a match up.

Yes, we usually have 4-5 fights going on at a time with all of the other kids cheering them on.  I'm sure it looks terrible.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

Ran the tennis ball on the cones drill, two offensive linemen vs. 1 defensive lineman and a linebacker.  Kid pushed another kid in a last ditch effort to prevent the tennis ball from becoming captured / stolen / slapped...kid flew, landed on the ground and smashed his head on the ground.  Tough to complain because it was just aggression and hustle that contributed to it. 

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Ran the tennis ball on the cones drill, two offensive linemen vs. 1 defensive lineman and a linebacker.  Kid pushed another kid in a last ditch effort to prevent the tennis ball from becoming captured / stolen / slapped...kid flew, landed on the ground and smashed his head on the ground.  Tough to complain because it was just aggression and hustle that contributed to it.

Yea, thats an "unlucky" situation

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

Yea, thats an "unlucky" situation

It is...kids scrambled and put in 100% effort, it was impressive how much they were getting after it...this wouldn't be the drill that would typically have me concerned about concussions...just goes to show that adding tennis balls to a football field is dangerous as hell.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: