Monday is the Start Day  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 26, 2020 11:46 am  

So even though our neighboring counties have cancelled "winter" football, we are due to get started with our first day of practice on Monday.  We will practice 2 days a week (huh?), for 90 minutes (huh?), with no more than 50 on the field at once (huh??).  So for us with 8 coaches, that means we can have no more than 42 kids on the field at once.  Ridiculous when you are a 4A team with about 100 kids in the program.  

IF the IDEA is to keep them SAFE, then how do you prepare the other 50+ kids for football when they aren't allowed to practice?  Either have football so that EVERYONE can condition and practice and prep to play safely, or shut it all down.  Who is being kept safe?  The ones who must stay at home, or the ones practicing?  Makes no sense.  

I've waited until now to complete my certifications because I'm honestly surprised we're going to do this, especially as Masking in public has become a state law here in North Carolina.  With COVID on the rise, cold & flu season getting here and less daylight (UV) at this time of year, and no vaccine, I'm wondering what's safer about football now, as opposed to the fall season when it was cancelled(?)

Anyhoos, got all 8 certifications turned in today only to get frustrated all over again by how inept the USAFootball portions of the certifications are.  "National Governing Body," indeed.

--Dave

This topic was modified 2 months ago by CoachDP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
November 27, 2020 10:47 am  

Nothing makes sense right now especially USA Football certifications. 

I will say this....you will feel instantly GREAT the very moment you step out on the field... and so will your players. While constricted and restricted, football was the only normal thing I've done since February. It saved me from going nuts. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 27, 2020 5:41 pm  

It'll probably save me, too.  I just want to get outside of my own driveway.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
November 28, 2020 7:21 pm  

The only advice I can give is that if remote learning is available, you may consider encouraging your players to take that option to the extent possible. Our school district and several others adopted a "cohort" system, where groups of students attended together and were isolated from the others. So if a student in a certain cohort tested positive, that entire cohort would have to quarantine. This bit some of our HS teams. Some of the football parents would keep their students out of school so they would still be able to play if someone in their cohort tested positive.

I'm half convinced that the virus is not spread among younger kids. 3 months of football and not one documented outbreak or case of community spread in our youth football league. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 1, 2020 9:33 am  

So our first day of practice (yesterday) was rained out, so we won't begin until tomorrow.  The low tomorrow will be 28 degrees.  Oh good grief...

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 2, 2020 9:09 am  

Today will be our first day, but with a change.  Even though all activities will take place outdoors, players are required to mask at all times, and distance, as well.  Here's the thing:  With a mask and distancing, I wonder if they can even hear me outside and if they can't hear the instruction, how do we keep them safe in a physical game that requires sound instruction to keep them safe?

The county also changed the rules for high school cross country: Mask at all times outdoors, except during an actual race.  So let me understand this, because it's either safe to do this, or it isn't.  If wearing a mask keeps you safe(r), then how safe are the runners during an actual meet when they're maskless?

Personally, I don't believe the masking does any good.  Around here, I haven't seen a person around here not wearing a mask for months, and yet our COVID numbers are skyrocketing higher than they've ever been.  BTW, today has a high of 50, but it's 36 degrees right now.

--Dave

This post was modified 2 months ago by CoachDP

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
December 3, 2020 11:28 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

Today will be our first day, but with a change.  Even though all activities will take place outdoors, players are required to mask at all times, and distance, as well.  Here's the thing:  With a mask and distancing, I wonder if they can even hear me outside and if they can't hear the instruction, how do we keep them safe in a physical game that requires sound instruction to keep them safe?

How is distancing supposed to work in a contact sport?  Sorry if this has already been answered here somewhere.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 3, 2020 11:58 am  
Posted by: @bob-goodman
Posted by: @coachdp

How is distancing supposed to work in a contact sport?  Sorry if this has already been answered here somewhere.

It doesn't.  In one of the COVID threads, I opined that if you are set on coaching during the pandemic, you either a) don't believe COVID will be spread through football or b) don't care. When I decided to go ahead and coach, I made the conscious decision to join the "don't care" club. Much to my surprise, youth football did not spread COVID in my area. There were cases to be sure, but I didn't hear about a single one with a player. A handful of parents got COVID from other sources, but simply and plainly did not transmit it to their children. If the children had it, they did not transmit it to the coaches.  Mind boggling if you consider that in a normal season, I am sick from August until well into November from being around these walking petri dishes. I have not been sick in over a year. I am unscientifically convinced that young kids do not spread it for the most part.

HS? Not sure. There have been a handful of HS games getting cancelled because an entire team had to quarantine, but I haven't heard of any coaches getting sick. 

I wasn't around at the start of the season, but Mahonz' emails indicated that the conditioning practices would be done socially distance. Then, some of the early drill work would be done in small groups. By the time I joined the staff, it was business as usual, other than parents staying in their cars. By the end of the season, parents were out of their cars.

I'm glad I did it, but if I'm being honest I have to admit that my decision was irresponsible. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 3, 2020 12:16 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

How is distancing supposed to work in a contact sport? 

It doesn't.  Nor can it.  It's tackle football, not flag.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 3, 2020 12:26 pm  

Day 1 of practice:  Offense spread so far across the field doing route work that many of the kids couldn't hear instruction.  We probably need to practice in the stadium with the header up in the booth and giving instruction through the PA system.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 3, 2020 12:35 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

In one of the COVID threads, I opined that if you are set on coaching during the pandemic, you either a) don't believe COVID will be spread through football or b) don't care.

--I care (a lot).  And do believe it can be spread through football, or pretty much any other way.  That being said, the chances are far reduced being outside.  Also, I worked IN the buildings IN the school system for years and that probably gave me some sort of tolerance/build up/vaccine as parents definitely send their kids to school when they're sick.  I wore a gaiter mask to practice yesterday, only to find out they've been banned and I have to get "real" mask.  Interesting that all of the "real" masks I've tried don't stay on very well when you talk, but the gaiters stay completely in place.

Regardless, you could see how much it meant to the players being back out on the field, and at one point I thought our header was going to break down in front of them.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 3, 2020 2:15 pm  

@coachdp As a regular person, going about my day, I am fastidious about keeping my distance, wearing my mask and sanitizing my hands. As a coach, not so much. Many times, I would pull down my mask to yell something (or blow a whistle) and 5 minutes later, realize I'm the only adult with a mask under my chin with no regard to social distancing. Yeah, and about that . . . I did not socially distance while coaching. Not with 4th graders.  At least twice, I caught myself (too late) helping a kid snap the lanyard back on his mouthpiece.  Let that sink in. His mouthpiece. Both times, I realized after I had a kid's spit on my hands that I screwed up.

Oh, and whistles.  Impossible to blow one through a mask. Tried it many times. Blowing a whistle without a mask is basically turning yourself into an irrigation sprinkler, or an aerosolized biological weapon.

But regardless of how well you stick to the countermeasures, by coaching, you are picking a side that his should go on. Having picked that side and looking back, I don't regret it. I probably wouldn't have regretted it had I or someone on the team gotten sick. I know how selfish that is, but the alternative was coming out of this pandemic a changed person and not for the better. Things were getting dark for me. Everyone I know noticed the change in me when I came back from that first scrimmage.

ReplyQuote
jtrent64
(@jtrent64)
Copper
December 3, 2020 3:12 pm  

If I knew about it, I would have used this during practice.  Well, I would have tried.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/WMASK/Fox-40-Reusable-Cloth-Whistle-Mask

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
December 3, 2020 7:25 pm  

@coachdp Funny about the gaiters.. my AD issued me gaiters for my coaches and the kids.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 3, 2020 7:27 pm  
Posted by: @jtrent64

If I knew about it, I would have used this during practice.  Well, I would have tried.

https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/WMASK/Fox-40-Reusable-Cloth-Whistle-Mask

Looks like one of those plague masks from the Renaissance.

ReplyQuote
Share: