Notifications
Clear all

Moral dilemma

Page 2 / 2

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Troy probably has better insight than I do, but the league has a board that consists of reps from each org. Something happens in those meetings where the league is reluctant to punish rule breakers. It usually boils down to "we don't want to punish the kids", which is BS because I'm close to a group of kids who had their season cancelled after game 7 (and were playoff bound) because coaches and parents had a brawl. 

Understood. These committees have caused me more than enough headaches the past five years!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Next week is Rd2 of the playoffs. Winner goes to the championship. Winner of this game will most likely win the championship.

Our opponent has an unreal running back. He scored 4 times on us the last time we played. All big plays. We just barely outscored him. This running back was taken off the field in an ambulance yesterday. According to the ref:

RB dropped his head and lead with his helmet, hitting the LB in the shoulder. (It was a very hard collision). RB's eyes were rolled back in his head so that only the whites were showing. He was unconscious for a minute or two. When he gained consciousness, he was mumbling incoherently and could not say who he was or where he was."

He was lying on the field for a solid 20 minutes.

I am certain this kid will be on the field Saturday. I don't believe this coach would allow something as trivial as health and safety to get in the way of a possible championship. 

Question to all you coaches that I respect:

What is my responsibility to this kid?

Well, you could contact the league.  In ours something like this happens you need a note from the doctor not LPN that was listed on the registration form.  If yours is similar start here, inquiring is not a bad thing in my opinion.  If not just play ball like Dave said. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co I gave up trying to make sense of our parent board other than El Presidente is the "decider" and bylaws are meaningless... unless they support El Presidente's position.

The longer I coach, the lesser I know.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Gameplan like he is going to be there. Hopefuly his parents have sense to not let him play. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bucksweep58

Well, you could contact the league.  In ours something like this happens you need a note from the doctor not LPN that was listed on the registration form.  If yours is similar start here, inquiring is not a bad thing in my opinion.  If not just play ball like Dave said. 

Org pres is passing it on to the league. That's about all I can do. We have a state law that requires written clearance by a doctor. They even go so far as to define who can and can't clear a player. I don't trust the coach to follow that law when playoffs are at stake. Winner goes to the 'ship.  I don't know the parent(s). Will the league step in? Here's what's really sad.  If they do step in it will probably be because they don't like this coach. He has been a thorn in everyone's side for a long time. The only entity that wants him around is the org that gave him a team despite all kinds of warnings. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Latest from our "league" (if that's what you want to call it). Coach E whom I know and respect upset Coach D in round 1. Coach D is a serious A-hole. He got beat by Troy early in the year and protested that game claiming that Troy's wedge interlocked arms. So an hour after Coach D lost to Coach E, he filed a protest stating that Coach E used an illegal player. League rules clearly state that a roster protest must be made before the game starts.  League has removed the score from the website, which is in indication that this will go before the protest committee.

This is 3rd hand knowledge, so take it with a grain of salt. Coach E and Coach D are in the same org. This org uses a 3rd party website to track rosters and verify players. After the game, one of Coach E's player's info was changed on this website. Somehow, Coach D was made aware of this. Only 4 people had access to this player's record: Both parents (Dad was hunting that day and couldn't access it; Coach E and a single board member of this org. The change to this player's record is the basis of Coach D's protest.

Coach E only found out about this from another coach (from my org). No communication from the league nor from his org. When he asked the org why he had to find out from another coach, his org said, "we wanted to wait until we had all the information before telling you". He has retained a lawyer and is threatening to sue the league and Coach D.

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co A little more info... From what I understand, the player in question is under the age limit for 5th grade but is advanced 1 grade in school. This is the focus of the protest. Coach D was aware of this before the game, but waited for the game's conclusion to protest. What is even more interesting is I've heard that Coach D has a 6th grader that is playing down on his roster as well. 

The bylaws are ambiguous. My read is the intent is to prevent older players from playing down, not to force younger players to play up.

Never fear, El Presidente is certain to decide in a manner that ignores the rules, and maximizes the inconvenience and hostility of everyone n the league.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Thanks Troy.  I learned this year, you CAN have a 6th grader play in the 5th grade division if he is young enough. Spartans have a kid like that and SW unsuccessfully protested their 90-0 loss based on that.

Protesting a loss due to a player who is too young? I do not like Coach D. I think it's time I look at AYL or Coal Creek.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

This makes no sense. How do you Protest a team from your own Organization over an illegal Roster? 

When it comes to official Rosters....Teams don't cheat, Organizations must cheat. So it can only cut one way....all Teams can be dirty or all Teams are clean. Right? 

If I remember right Coach E's really good QB is a 4th grader so that must be why Coach D is playing the sour grapes card.

Just the Adults ruining youth sports....again.  

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Troy liked
ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@mahonz Coach D's team (not him directly, but his surrogates) spent all off season talking about AR ducking them and how they were the actual true champion. They basically built a select team (By D's personal admission to me) and regarded this season as champs-or-bust. They got ranked 3rd in the state by some silly facebook group and praised by select coaches who scrimmaged them and that really seemed to pump up their ego. Then "poof," a plucky rec team knocked them off running basic wedge and power plays and playing D, then AR beat them, then WR almost beat them, then the 2nd BF club knocked them off. They just can't seem to come to grips with reality and learn from it. They seem to regard games as end-alls. But we know they are instead lessons that provide critical information needed to improve. If this sport taught me anything it's how to learn from failures... and there have been sooo many of those. It humbles every coach sooner or later. Gotta learn to deal with it and grow or it's time to get out.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Ruling is now official. Coach E forfeits and gets 3 game suspension. Next step: lawyers

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @troy

They got ranked 3rd in the state by some silly facebook group and praised by select coaches who scrimmaged them and that really seemed to pump up their ego. 

Facebook youth football rankings. lol. That's funny.  Heck, the MaxPreps high school rankings are funny enough...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 and Troy liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @troy

@mahonz Coach D's team (not him directly, but his surrogates) spent all off season talking about AR ducking them and how they were the actual true champion. They basically built a select team (By D's personal admission to me) and regarded this season as champs-or-bust. They got ranked 3rd in the state by some silly facebook group and praised by select coaches who scrimmaged them and that really seemed to pump up their ego. Then "poof," a plucky rec team knocked them off running basic wedge and power plays and playing D, then AR beat them, then WR almost beat them, then the 2nd BF club knocked them off. They just can't seem to come to grips with reality and learn from it. They seem to regard games as end-alls. But we know they are instead lessons that provide critical information needed to improve. If this sport taught me anything it's how to learn from failures... and there have been sooo many of those. It humbles every coach sooner or later. Gotta learn to deal with it and grow or it's time to get out.

I agree completely. 

What surprises me is since I began coaching in JYFA in 1984 I cant remember one single time they overturned a playoff decision. I have known  the El Presidente for 20 years. I had to endure the Cherry Creek fiasco. The Highlands Ranch Fiasco.  The year North Metro sued the League and won. Broomfield getting kicked out of JYFA for massive Roster issues then getting kicked out of AYL for the same reasons and now they are back. Lakewood being suspended for one season. A father getting banned for the craziest chit you could imagine and then showing up to games dressed as a woman. etc....I could go on for a week. 

Yah...I've seen some chit...so there must be more to this story. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Troy
 Troy
(@troy)
Bronze

@coachdp No kidding. Imbeciles get all worked up over this.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: