More Covid....

Page 11 / 15

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @spidermac

@coachdp

Dave, I do the same as you...but, as I cannot use water bottles this year, it will just be the big jug I have to deal with...and we are going to have a hand sanitizer station made of pvc at every practice and instruct the boys to use it...and the coaches...

Another epiphany i had...wrist coaches...the boys sweat in them, and at the end of practice we gather them up in a mesh bag...yesterday morning...i realized i could be bagging up a bunch of covid, and as I do not have the bandwidth to wash them each night, I advised the parents that each boy will be issued a wrist coach, that they would have to wash it, and gave them the laundering instructions...

For every possibility I think of, there are probably 5 more that I am not thinking about, I guess I will just do the best that I can.

Just seems ridiculous to me to worry with sterilizing footballs when you can still block, tackle and huddle.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

So, I'm back. 

Came to watch the team play their first scrimmage about 10 minutes from my house (our home field is 30 minutes from my house). Mahonz asked me to bring my camcorder and film. It took all of about 3 plays before I started coaching. 30 minutes later, I knew that it was inevitable that I would be going back. My heart and soul have been tired since February. No sooner did I make peace with the pandemic and the riots and looting and burning and shooting took over my conscience. I was going down a dark spiral. Then tonight, I experienced joy for the first time since the pandemic started. 

I didn't realize how much of a funk I was in until I got a breath of fresh air. Is it irresponsible? Probably, but the Outlaws are going to play football whether I'm coaching them or not. I'll take precautions to the best of my ability. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

jtrent64, Coyote, terrypjohnson and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

We had our first practice last night. We are starting about a month late, but our season was pushed back a few weeks. We had a huge turn out, because the neighboring township has closed down their program for the season and we picked up a good number of their players. I will give my township and school district credit for recognizing that kids are going to find a way to play unless everything was shut down at the government level. I myself was looking at a club about a half an hour away, it was hard for me to see other kids playing and have my son miss out on the chance for a season. What happens now is anyone’s guess, but I’m glad to get in whatever we can. 

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

So, I'm back. 

Came to watch the team play their first scrimmage about 10 minutes from my house (our home field is 30 minutes from my house). Mahonz asked me to bring my camcorder and film. It took all of about 3 plays before I started coaching. 30 minutes later, I knew that it was inevitable that I would be going back. My heart and soul have been tired since February. No sooner did I make peace with the pandemic and the riots and looting and burning and shooting took over my conscience. I was going down a dark spiral. Then tonight, I experienced joy for the first time since the pandemic started. 

I didn't realize how much of a funk I was in until I got a breath of fresh air. Is it irresponsible? Probably, but the Outlaws are going to play football whether I'm coaching them or not. I'll take precautions to the best of my ability. 

Welcome home Brother. 

After the first practice in July I had parents calling me....normally its emails or text. They couldn't begin to thank me enough for fielding the team. Their kids were instantly happier...and so was I. 

The mental aspect of this pandemic is very real. Humans need some happy. 

My father in law moved into a new retirement Community on March 1st. They locked things down on March 10th.  He had ZERO interaction with anyone for 5 solid months. Not even his neighbors. Seemed very cruel too me.  When I saw him about 2 weeks ago he looked like walking death. It shocked me.   

When you showed up last night it shocked me. You did not look well. Face drawn. By the end of the scrimmage you were smiling. This will be a good thing for you and your family. I am convinced of this. 

This post was modified 11 months ago by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

This came in yesterday:

Dear Football Families,

We have decided to take the position of the MCYFL board and cancel the 2020 season. We had hoped for a different outcome but after serious discussion, we think that this is the best scenario for our town, players, cheerleaders , coaches, parents and grand parents.  Although some towns will play unsanctioned games , we decided that the liability/risk was to great to continue.  We are talking with SI Play about refunds hoping that they will just refund your card that you paid with. We will keep you posted on that development. I have enclosed the letter that we received from MCYFL for better understanding of our decision.  We are all losing during this pandemic . Our hope is when things get back to normal we all have a greater appreciation for the life we seem to take for granted. 

Best wishes to everyone. 

NBYFL BOARD

Gentleman,

Thank you for the full attendance on Wednesday night’s MCYFL zoom meeting.  As Jerry stated, that’s the first time in a long time that we have had full attendance.  Given the gravity of our present crisis situation we understand why.  We would like to reaffirm what was stated during Wednesday night’s meeting and clarify the reasoning for the board’s advisement. The board is recommending to officially cancel the 2020 Fall MCYFL league sanctioned football season. We realize this upset and confused some of you to a degree while others seemed to understand and agree with the basis for the recommendation. Football itself is a sport of inherent risk of injury. This year all sports are having to face the unknown and known risks of the COVID 19 pandemic. The highest risks being prolonged hospitalization and more severely death. These risks now not only affect the individual athletes but their entire (extended) families as well. Entire teams and programs face the risk including cheerleading. Football as stated is a sport in the highest risk category due to the full contact we face on a continuing basis, which puts our assumption of risk substantially higher than other sports. There is no insurance coverage to ease any financial burdens we may face as a league or individuals. While some felt that maybe the decision to cancel should have been brought up earlier before the “Return To Play” committee had its recommendations, we felt that this was required and important to be prepared to move forward if allowed. While the board was hoping as well as all of you that the pandemic would be completely behind us by now, it clearly is not. We also felt that the decision of “no official season” would have been made by higher authorities by now. However, that also has not happened, but could happen at any time going forward. With so many unknowns and a shortened season already, we feel it’s in the best interest of the entire league to cancel the 2020 fall football season and resume play the following year in what we hope will be a safer environment. While we all work together to make each years’ sports season happen, the majority of our league reps work is for their individual program and that is your primary focus and concern. The league board always must focus on the entire league’s health, safety and wellbeing as well as its sanctity and integrity over and above our individual programs. Each and every one of us may have very different views that form our opinions for either having a season or not. The overall best interest of the entire league should be first and foremost. We ask that you vote to cancel the officially sanctioned season. This still allows any programs that wish to on an individual basis to continue. It also protects the league as a whole to ensure football and this league can continue in the future. We can assure all of you that this was not a decision that was easily reached by the MCYFL board or presented to you. We exist to provide the athletic opportunity to all of the young athletes in the safest possible environment. We thank you all for your time and all that you do for your programs and the league overall. See you Monday night. 

Sincerly, Exceutive Board

I think the second paragraph is from the MCYFL (the league).

I've no idea what the deal about SI Play is.  I'm guessing that for the families of the players it's a subscription service and that the club's been paying for coaches' membership.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze

So..... Maryland began cancelling Youth Football seasons about a month ago. On Monday the parents from Anne Arundel County had a rally outside of the Parks and Rec Building in Annapolis which resulted in the County allowing them to resume full contact football.

Not that it really matters what I think, but this seems a bit irresponsible to me. Every single one of us would rather be playing/coaching football right now, that's a foregone conclusion. However, if it has been deemed as unsafe by state officials, and our kids have to resort to virtual learning instead of attending school. How can they justify allowing the kids to play?

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rpatric

Not that it really matters what I think, but this seems a bit irresponsible to me. Every single one of us would rather be playing/coaching football right now, that's a foregone conclusion. However, if it has been deemed as unsafe by state officials, and our kids have to resort to virtual learning instead of attending school. How can they justify allowing the kids to play?

I agree completely, Ryan.  I wanna coach, you wanna coach, kids wanna play, fans and parents wanna see it, administrators wanna have it, school principals, college presidents and chancellors don't want/can't afford to walk away from big money so it's safe to say that everyone wants to have football.  And despite that, if you have a health & safety council that says "it's too risky because..." then I'm going to defer to that council because they are supposed to know far more about this than I ever will.  

I also think that it's entirely believable to presume that IF the universities, high schools and youth orgs had proceeded with football in order to ensure that their coffers were full and kept news of the spreadability of COVID under wraps in order to play, the public would then be outraged.  So it's ironic that the CDC tells us how to best handle this and people still want to protest, especially when the CDC's trying to keep people healthy.  Heck, I'd argue that USA Football has done more to kill off youth football, than the CDC.

Don't talk to me about "risk." ("Oh Dave, there's risk in everything we do.") True enough, but me getting run over while walking down the street, doesn't infect 3 other people.  It simply ends right there.

Here in NC, COVID continues along at 1600-2000 new cases per day.  When I go out, everyone is now wearing a mask; everyone is now distancing, every business is spraying and wiping down their buildings.  And yet the numbers seem to remain consistent.  To me, that says this virus is slowly but surely continuing on, regardless of the present precautions.  Kinda makes it look like sooner or later, it'll be at your doorstep regardless.

I have a "family member" who was going back out to bars and being sociable as soon as businesses re-opened.  He thought COVID was a bunch of hooey and that it was simply "the flu."  We told him to "keep doing what you're doing and you'll find out soon enough."  Welp, he found out.  He's on his back right now.  We'll see if he ever stands back up.

--Dave 

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@rpatric - I see your point. If the public health experts feel that the kids are unsafe by playing, there's absolutely no reason for the kids to play. No amount of protesting would change my mind on that. Totally in agreement with you there.

The other side of the coin is that there's not a "single source of truth" (forgive me for using the software term). Experts in some areas don't think it's safe to play. Experts in other states don't see the harm. I don't know that the CDC can do anything other than make recommendations about policy (or it would have done so by now, IMO). This allows our elected officials to pick and choose whatever data supports their opinions.

To me, that uncertainty is why this is such a hot topic. It's also why I refuse to take a position other than, "I'll coach if I'm allowed, and if not I'll write software". As you pointed out, everyone *wants* to be out there. It's just that people disagree as to whether the kids should be out there.

Hope that everyone stays safe and my apologies to most of you on this thread because I know I'll be bombarding you with questions over the next three - four weeks 😉

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

The other side of the coin is that there's not a "single source of truth" (forgive me for using the software term). Experts in some areas don't think it's safe to play. Experts in other states don't see the harm.

From my take, that's not exactly true, TPJ.  Everyone's recommending distancing and masks.  And you can't do distancing and masks in football.  Every block and tackle impedes any social distancing recommendation.  And while everything I've read says that COVID has spread more easily indoors than out (since most football is played outdoors), they are still distancing the fans in the stands.  So if it's safer outdoors, and there's blocking and tackling going on, shouldn't fans be able to sit together?  Evidently not.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

Hope that everyone stays safe and my apologies to most of you on this thread because I know I'll be bombarding you with questions over the next three - four weeks 😉

Well, thank goodness for that because I'd like to be able to get some sort of my football-itch scratched.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
jtrent64
(@jtrent64)
Copper

Posted by: @bob-goodman

There is no insurance coverage to ease any financial burdens we may face as a league or individuals.

I wonder if they care more about the health of the community or the potential for a lawsuit?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

The question I have is, how much social distancing do you want to do when the most that can achieve is to slow down how fast the virus gets around?  It can't stop it.  A professor of medicine at Harvard even put it that we need to get a certain percentage of the population infected for it to stop circulating, one way or another, and that therefore for every young person social distancing keeps from getting infected, a person with risk factors for getting a serious case will get it instead.

What that means is the same as I thought back then: that kids catching SARS-CoV2 and spreading it around are doing society a favor.  The sacrifice by them is slight, since for them it's like a cold or nothing, but the immunity they gain will shorten the time people with risk factors (chiefly old people) need to be isolated from them.  Maybe people like me (66 years old, heart disease) should take this year off coaching; if we'd kept the schools open in the spring, then we wouldn't've had to take this fall off, but social distancing has delayed the reckoning that still must come.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jtrent64

I wonder if they care more about the health of the community or the potential for a lawsuit

--There's no potential for a lawsuit when there's no potential for the virus.  In other words, when the virus is no longer a (serious) health concern, there's really no lawsuit.  So if lawsuits are a possibility/probablility, it's only because COVID is a genuine threat.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
J. Potter (seabass)
(@seabass)
Gold

@coachdp

I leave for a while....come back and all of the sudden DP is rolling with the “consensus” crowd. I never thought I would live to see that day.

So far this season, there have been more HS football deaths @the hands of shitty S/C condition coaches than COVID. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @seabass

@coachdp

I leave for a while....come back and all of the sudden DP is rolling with the “consensus” crowd. I never thought I would live to see that day.

--"Consensus crowd?"  lol. Last time I checked, the SEC, ACC, Big 12, AAC, Sun Belt and C-USA are all set to play.

So far this season, there have been more HS football deaths @the hands of shitty S/C condition coaches than COVID. 

--I'm not surprised, given there's probably more shitty S/C conditioning coaches than there are people in this country with COVID.  

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 15
Share: