32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 4, 2020 9:24 pm  

@bob-goodman

That’s basically been my opinion on this from the start.  They told us the closings were only going to last a short time so that we would not overwhelm the hospitals.  Then when it became apparent the hospitals were not overwhelmed, the narrative turned to stopping the virus.  Social distancing was never going to stop the virus.  It only prolongs the pandemic while people hope for some miraculous vaccine that will make the pandemic experts filthy rich.

But I am certainly not a viral pandemic expert and I will not judge or shame anyone for how they approach this.  If I was still a youth football organization president and had to make a play or not play decision, I would have to cancel the 2020 season.  I cannot put other people’s children at risk of being infected based on my hunch that this thing is exaggerated and a big overreaction.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 5, 2020 1:01 am  
Posted by: @32wedge

But I am certainly not a viral pandemic expert and I will not judge or shame anyone for how they approach this.  If I was still a youth football organization president and had to make a play or not play decision, I would have to cancel the 2020 season.  I cannot put other people’s children at risk of being infected based on my hunch that this thing is exaggerated and a big overreaction.

I've had one friend who was my age that died from it.  I have a friend who's a football coach, much younger than I, who felt like he was going to die from it.  We have a family member who's having it kick his butt right now.  I don't know what could be exaggerated about it; looks like a pretty horrible experience even if it doesn't kill you.  But shut down bars and restaurants and other businesses?  No, I don't think that's the answer.  It's crippling our economy without changing any numbers, that I can see. And most businesses can mask & distance.  But football can't be coached or played that way.  And parents refuse to mask & distance at ANY youth gatherings that I've seen.  Youth and high school ball doesn't have the financial resources to test every day, or the time and manpower to sterilize everything.  I don't like not being able to coach.  But not being able to coach won't kill me.  COVID certainly could.  And if it doesn't kill me, I could transmit it to several others.  I understand the pro and collegiate press to continue, based on the financial repercussions.  But it's amazing how expendable people's lives have become since the threat of losing football has come about.  I can't imagine what it was like in this country during WWII when so many programs were shuttered.  "Shutting down football?  Why?  It's only a world war!"  Or perhaps they saw the bigger picture then.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 5, 2020 11:53 am  

Today the Talking Heads on ESPN Gameday were discussing COVID.  One said he wouldn't allow his sons to play if they were in a college football program.  Evidently, COVID has a higher fatality rate among African-Americans than it does with Caucasians.  And 60 of the 80 players who have decided not to participate this year are black.  I believe they also said they had a better chance of dying from eating at Chipotle than from COVID (a great line, btw), but there still too many unknowns about the virus to risk participation.  

We're planning to resume in February.  We'll see....

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 5, 2020 1:54 pm  

@coachdp

It is exaggerated in a number of ways.  One way is by only releasing the ever increasing total accumulation of COVID cases while refusing to subtract or even release the number of recovered cases.  We are constantly bombarded by media and politicians emphasizing that 125000+ number of cases in Virginia.  People are scared to death by that big number which is exactly the reaction that is intended. But there is not 125000 cases right now in VA.  No one explains that that number is counting cases all the way back as early as March.  When a COVID positive person recovers and tests negative, that person should be subtracted from the advertised number of current cases.  This state and many others refuse to even release the number of recovered cases.

The number of deaths per week nationally dropped every single week from the middle of April until the end of July.  It went up for a couple weeks coinciding with summer vacations and reopenings and has consistently dropped since then.  The media and certain politicians ignore this fact and emphasize the accumulated total.  Leaving out facts and emphasizing other facts to make it seem worse than it actually is, is the definition of exaggeration.  At least that’s how I understand the definition.

Mask orders are for show.  There is no standardized material for masks.  Spandex scarf, bandana, dust mask...as long as you have something on your face.  Very few of the materials help at all.  It just gives the public a false sense of protection and gives politicians a false image of actually controlling a contagious virus.  Taking the same mask on and off for days allows all kinds of viruses and bacteria to grow and accumulate in there.  But it makes people feel like they are doing something.

The actual disease is horrible.  I am sorry to hear about your friends who suffered from it.  I sure don’t want to catch it but just like it’s cousin the common cold, COVID is here to stay. We are all likely to get it sooner or later. If creating a vaccine was so easy and sure, why haven’t we created a vaccine for the common cold?  Or why do people who take flu shot still get the flu?  I think COVID is a part of life now and sooner or later we are going to just get back to living, with it.

My opinion is that shutting down the world and destroying a stable prosperous economy caused more harm than it benefited.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 5, 2020 2:55 pm  

@coachdp

People are scared to death by that big number which is exactly the reaction that is intended.

--We'll disagree on what we think the numbers are intended to do.  You say it's to scare people.  I think it's to not minimize the effects of the virus.  If it's trying to "scare" me, it's not working.  So I'll just respect the numbers and simply do what I can to stay safe.

Masks orders are for show.  There is no standardized material for masks.  Spandex scarf, bandana, dust mask...as long as you have something on your face.  Very few of the materials help at all.

--Completely agree.  I paid good money for a mask that Formula 1 drivers wear.  It's relatively comfortable and has a filter.  But I have several gaiters that I wear when riding my motorcycles.  They say they're worthless as a safety measure.

It just gives the public a false sense of protection

--Not for me.  It gives me little sense of protection.  But there's little more I can do, except distance, wash hands...  And most businesses won't allow me in unless I wear it.

Taking the same mask on and off for days allows all kinds of viruses and bacteria to grow and accumulate in there.  

--I'm not worried about that.  I've worn the same underwear for days on end, with no ill effects. 😜 

If creating a vaccine was so easy and sure, why haven’t we created a vaccine for the common cold?

--It's not easy.  It took Jonas Salk three years to develop one for polio.  As to why we haven't created one to defeat the cold, it 's because there's no hysteria about the common cold.  A cold doesn't cause concern or panic. 

Or why do people who take flu shot still get the flu?

--Because it minimizes the likelihood of contracting it, being killed by it or the duration of it.  Those are facts.

My opinion is that shutting down the world and destroying a stable prosperous economy caused more harm than it benefited.

--I'll agree.  But the problem isn't in shutting down the world, but how it's all been implemented.  Given that the world hasn't seen a pandemic like this in 100+ years, I'm not surprised that everyone's got an opinion on how to handle it.  But like 911, we seem to do a pretty good job of adjusting and learning from a national emergency.

In the meantime, I'm watching Army dismantle Middle Tennessee.  Glory!  Glory!

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 5, 2020 7:27 pm  

@coachdp

You can even test positive for COVID from the grave!  Of course the dearly deceased will probably just mail in her election ballot!

https://www.wfmynews2.com/mobile/article/news/investigations/shelby-county-woman-died-6-months-ago-letter-covid-19-positive/522-bcd8c6e1-5d75-4e07-af99-ed7babed909b?fbclid=IwAR1zaCnnTfBpH0GjLY36BHml71PEkFgHhKxBDvNoztdhUyoyhAYTVKGK7g4

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 6, 2020 9:29 pm  

@coachdp

If creating a vaccine was so easy and sure, why haven’t we created a vaccine for the common cold?

They did.  60 years ago.  It was the product of a long multi-nation research project by an allergy institute, and it had the theoretic markings of a vaccine that should've worked.  But it didn't.

And no, it's not because there are too many strains of rhinovirus and other cold viruses.  This was a polyvalent vaccine that, if it didn't cover all strains, should've covered enough of them that we should've seen some decrease in the frequency of colds among people who took it.

And it's not because specific immunity to cold viruses doesn't take or doesn't last.  It's long been observed that over a lifetime, we get colds less and less frequently.  The average infant was believed to catch a cold about each month in its first year of life.  Old people tend to get few colds.  The likeliest explanation of this is that we do develop specific immunity to strains of cold virus, and that there are fewer and fewer strains we are naive to with age, as we've caught them before.

There are just things we've never understood about viral diseases.  The one good thing about Covid-19 is that it's attracted a lot of money to try out new strategies in vaccine development.  However, they've all speculative.

I just searched for something on the past efforts at vaccines against colds, and hit this from 4 years ago.  It contained the following:

Colds can also cause more physical harm than scientists previously appreciated. When most people get a cold, the rhinoviruses stay in their nose. But Gern and others have discovered that some types of rhinovirus can invade deep into the lungs. Many cases of childhood pneumonia turn out to be caused by rhinoviruses.

Rhinoviruses are especially dangerous for people who already have certain chronic disorders such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Even a mild cold can trigger runaway inflammation in their lungs. It turns out that the majority of asthma attacks are brought on by rhinoviruses.

“Rhinovirus can cause more disease in certain people, and when I say ‘certain people,’ I mean a lot of people,” said Gern.

Look familiar? That seems to be just what characterizes Covid-19.  And I don't know what's happened in the last 4 years with these cold vaccine efforts.  Maybe they were abandoned like their predecessors.  And maybe that'll happen eventually with the Covid-19 vaccines too.

Here's a more thorough review.

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Bob Goodman

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 7, 2020 12:59 pm  

@coachdp

I am sorry to hear about your friends who suffered from it.

Thanks Nathan, but I'm not losing any sleep over the family member.  He made a big deal about this being a "hoax" and that COVID was nothing more than the flu.  He was going to bars, not distancing, not wearing masks...essentially just daring COVID to come at him.  He's now in Day 10 of being flat on his back.  His perspective on things is a bit different now. 🤔 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 7, 2020 6:31 pm  
Posted by: @g8trs

@32wedge

You nailed it. I have been very quite about Covid on this forum. Ive been coaching football since May through this whole fiasco and nobody on my team or anybody I know has contracted the Covid. 

The tests are bs, the numbers are bs and in a few months we will look back and wonder why we destroyed peoples lives over something so insignificant.

Im just so sick of hearing about Covid. Man I miss when this forum was about football.

Did  you coach flex last Spring? 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 8, 2020 1:31 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

there are teams who drop out because they don't agree with their seeding

Wait....what?

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 9, 2020 11:32 am  

Just announced.....Colorado reversed their decision and all High School Fall Sports will commence starting Thursday. 

Football typically plays an 11 game schedule then playoffs. Im sure that will be abbreviated somewhat but FOOTBALL IS BACK !!!

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 9, 2020 11:50 am  
Posted by: @mahonz

Just announced.....Colorado reversed their decision and all High School Fall Sports will commence starting Thursday. 

Football typically plays an 11 game schedule then playoffs. Im sure that will be abbreviated somewhat but FOOTBALL IS BACK !!!

I cannot like this enough!! Wish the Pac-12 would follow suit (wife is a HUGE Utah fan -- please don't hold that against me Coach @mahonz)

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze
Colorado
Retired
September 9, 2020 1:15 pm  

Just read the announcement from CHSAA.  The board of directors unanimously vote NOT to adjust the 2020-2021 sports calendar approved in August.  This means no fall football.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 9, 2020 1:40 pm  
Posted by: @cocoachkc

Just read the announcement from CHSAA.  The board of directors unanimously vote NOT to adjust the 2020-2021 sports calendar approved in August.  This means no fall football.

Holy crap....in a matter of hours. Boooooo!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 9, 2020 2:02 pm  

The Governor gave the green light and the Athletic Association felt Golf and Tennis was all important. 

https://chsaanow.com/2020-09-09/statement-from-the-board-of-directors-about-the-2020-21-activities-calendar/?fbclid=IwAR2A-9TWu1XmkfazYto-jmTgkSUvyXW5gHYibHBCbuLPAKxmt250XWSx8fI

ReplyQuote
Page 12 / 15
Share: