Notifications

More Covid....  

Page 13 / 15
  RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 9, 2020 2:27 pm  

Not that Twitter is the most reliable source of information, but I read a tweet that this was due to transportation and "equity issues" (certain teams/districts not having access to facilities). Sounds like the point you brought up about a month ago that a lot of grounds keepers, maintenance folks, bus drivers etc. were furloughed.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 9, 2020 2:29 pm  
Posted by: @cocoachkc

Just read the announcement from CHSAA.  The board of directors unanimously vote NOT to adjust the 2020-2021 sports calendar approved in August.  This means no fall football.

Hi Kent! I wish you would post more.  Jake and I were watching some old DVDs and reminiscing about the good old days. You made a lasting impression on him.  Hey, that QB Blaze . . . was his last name "Steele"?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2020 2:35 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Not that Twitter is the most reliable source of information, but I read a tweet that this was due to transportation and "equity issues" (certain teams/districts not having access to facilities). Sounds like the point you brought up about a month ago that a lot of grounds keepers, maintenance folks, bus drivers etc. were furloughed.

Which is why I don't get caught up in all the mean-boogey-man-won't-let-us-play drivel.  There's a lot of other considerations that aren't considered by people who don't consider anything else but what they themselves want.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 9, 2020 2:36 pm  

Hi Kent! I wish you would post more.

Kent is like a ninja.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze
Colorado
Retired
September 9, 2020 2:59 pm  

@gumby_in_co

Hey Lar,

His name was Taden Blaise.

Every now and again I will watch some old game film.  Makes me want to coach the DW and 33 stack attack again!  Then I remind myself of the last season I coached and the parents.  I quickly remember why I am retired.  Then I start looking at home plans or center console boats for my future move to my island lot in Orange Beach, AL.  Then all desire fades away.

So glad my boys are grown men and we don't have to navigate this mess.  Travis is working in HVAC.  Ryan is in his 3rd year of med school (year working rotations) and the Army.  Dylan is trying to land a law enforcement position while working for a demolition company.  LE is tough to crack into in CO as most positions are filled with lateral transfers.  People want to live here!

I sometimes start to post but then realize I have work I need to get done.  So I end up jumping out.  Plus, the details aren't as clear as they used to be.  So I choose to lurk to see where the sport is headed.  Too bad, I don't think it is heading in a good direction.

I was looking at the AYL site the other day.  I understand that with COVID, numbers should be down.  There are now just over 110 teams league wide, all age groups.  And the numbers are top heavy with most teams in the 7th and 8th grade age groups.  Heck, when we were coaching together, the Spartans alone fielded around 70.  They now have only 20-some teams.  I don't see baseball numbers dropping like that.  And lacrosse is holding pretty steady numbers but it certainly isn't growing like when my boys got involved more than 10 years ago.

Stay healthy!

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by COCoachKC

mahonz and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
September 14, 2020 5:46 pm  

It's what we affectionately call "smoke season" out West. I am in Washington state and our air quality is in the "hazardous" zone. It's as bad as it has ever been. The Air Quality Index was at 498 this morning...the reading only goes to 500...it's difficult to breathe.

First thing I see on the news this morning is a piece talking about how our masks are completely ineffective against the nasty particulates being carried by the smoke. Those particulates are roughly 3x's the size of the corona virus.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 6:24 pm  

I've been keeping up with the fires and such, since we are planning to move out west.  From what I've seen, the Air Quality Index is very dangerous.  I'm not sure even you can even go outside, or whether you can "smell the air" inside.  I'd wear a gaiter mask underneath a filtered mask.  Stay safe, Josh.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 15, 2020 7:37 pm  

A local news station showed up to catch a football game on Saturday. 😎 😎 

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/jeffco-youth-football-league-live-sports-families/73-67cc12fb-376a-407c-821a-4f0c3ac74796?fbclid=IwAR1KK86J9_JEGWqHyvC_OjmLaqY6ZLiFWCpxoSR1i7VPbuYx5SlYB1k5Bcw

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 16, 2020 12:27 am  

Found out today that we're supposed to be able to start practices on November 30.  Teams will play a 7-game (conference only) schedule, but there will be playoffs.  I'm meeting our header for lunch on Wednesday to discuss some of the specifics.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 17, 2020 12:38 pm  

CHSAA flip flopped again. It looks like there will be HS football in the Fall in Colorado

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 17, 2020 4:14 pm  

We're set to begin on November 30.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
September 17, 2020 5:25 pm  

Finally. 

CHSSA has struggled with getting everyone on the same page because technically HS Athletics is a state wide Program. 

So....pick a page even though there will be multiple State Champs. I like it.  

https://chsaanow.com/2020-09-17/details-on-the-footballs-plan-for-season-a-and-season-c/?fbclid=IwAR0x8pbXHLet0SZshrdbIfKpPDm_KjF1IyIu1mweCLc5Qchw19hh5lFJjhU

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 17, 2020 11:55 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

We're set to begin on November 30.

--Dave

November 30 in Colorado, there's a decent chance of having 18" of snow on the ground and/or temps around zero Fahrenheit. Or, it can be 65 and sunny, but we WILL get a blizzard or 3 between Halloween and Easter.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 18, 2020 8:25 am  

November 30 in Colorado, there's a decent chance of having 18" of snow on the ground and/or temps around zero Fahrenheit. Or, it can be 65 and sunny, but we WILL get a blizzard or 3 between Halloween and Easter.

Believe me when I say it's the same way here.  We're expect to be playing in February, which is THE worst, most miserable month on the North Carolina calendar.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
September 18, 2020 9:41 am  

@coachdp

The original plan in CO was to return to play in February. I was like, "Yeah, good luck with that." In CO, February is typically too cold to freaking ski.

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 15
Share: