More Covid....  

Page 5 / 7
  RSS

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 25, 2020 10:28 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Hockey league got permission from the state health folks to play without masks.

I can barely make it thru the grocery store without suffocating. Cant imagine playing hockey in a mask. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper
AC
July 25, 2020 1:05 pm  

Our league got cancelled down here. But there are 3 other leagues that didn't. ( not sure how they think they will play ), if they do we were asked to coach a team for a program  close by. My son says yes , so I guess I'm going.. some where along the line I lost the power of making  decisions. 

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 25, 2020 1:54 pm  

@coachdp What I was trying to say was that if the *only* reason that we were cancelling the season because coaches could only have 10 players at a time, then why not try 6 or 8 man football? It would give the kids the opportunity to continue blocking and tackling. In my opinion, that's better than doing nothing -- assuming that it's safe to play.

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 25, 2020 11:16 pm  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

In my opinion, that's better than doing nothing -- assuming that it's safe to play.

Well, if it's safe to play then we should have full teams of 11 on 11.  But if it's not safe, then 7 on 7 is no better, or safer.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 28, 2020 2:22 pm  

Well, my local league reached a decision...and I'm not sure it'll be well-received among the coaches in our league.

Per the rec, we're starting the season playing 7-on-7. After two weeks, they plan to move to tackle. They also noted that the situation is fluid and could change at any minute.

Stay tuned... and if anyone knows of any solid 7-on-7 material, please let me know!

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 29, 2020 12:02 pm  

The verdict is in...we start this Wednesday. All systems go but it is going be funky and clunky to say the least.. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 29, 2020 1:43 pm  

Well, my local league reached a decision...and I'm not sure it'll be well-received among the coaches in our league.

Per the rec, we're starting the season playing 7-on-7. After two weeks, they plan to move to tackle. They also noted that the situation is fluid and could change at any minute.

Stay tuned... and if anyone knows of any solid 7-on-7 material, please let me know!

Coach Terry

That's gonna be weird, 2 weeks of 7-a-side touch, then the same players switch to 11s tackle?  Or 7s tackle?

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
July 29, 2020 1:52 pm  

Our state's HS season (WA) has been moved to the spring. As far as I know, all the youth league's in our area have cancelled their season's.

This will be the first fall I have had "off" in quite a while. I had been promoted to the HC of our freshman squad over the winter. I was very excited to be back in the driver's seat. I slogged out 2 seasons as an AC after making the transition to HS.

My boy's will be junior/senior this year...it's a depressing time at our house right now.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
July 29, 2020 4:23 pm  

I have it on some authority that Illinois has moved High School Football to Spring! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 29, 2020 5:11 pm  

@bob-goodman I don't know, Coach Goodman. I'm hoping that it's 11's because I spent a good chunk of the offseason mixing the Single Wing and the Double Wing and can't wait to teach it.

I agree with you that it's a bit unusual. The only thing that I can think of -- and this is a bit of stretch -- is that some of the coaches wanted to go straight to full pads rather than going through the usual heat acclimation period. By moving to 7-on-7, they wouldn't be in pads and would be running non-stop to get used to the heat.

Again, that's probably a stretch, but it would make sense.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 29, 2020 10:34 pm  

@bob-goodman I don't know, Coach Goodman. I'm hoping that it's 11's because I spent a good chunk of the offseason mixing the Single Wing and the Double Wing and can't wait to teach it.

I agree with you that it's a bit unusual. The only thing that I can think of -- and this is a bit of stretch -- is that some of the coaches wanted to go straight to full pads rather than going through the usual heat acclimation period. By moving to 7-on-7, they wouldn't be in pads and would be running non-stop to get used to the heat.

Again, that's probably a stretch, but it would make sense.

Any consideration to full contact, unpadded, like American Sevens?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
July 30, 2020 8:05 am  

7 on 7 are kinda silly for a Run Based Offense where 90% of the passing game is off Run Fakes.  However, you do have the opportunity to practice the fakes, work on accuracy, and work your defense secondary.  At the lower ages the fakes just might freeze the Defense for a bit!  Use it for what you can get.  

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
July 30, 2020 9:14 am  

We just got our schedule... the cross league games are not on it, because, Covid.   Looks like just a run through our league and the 4 team play-off.  Hopefully things will change and they'll be added later, and that we don't have to stop for a couple weeks in there somewhere.  

FWIW, we open with the team having had the 1st pick three yrs in a row, their roster is loaded, but there is a reason they keep drafting first.   But, man-for-man, altho I like our team, I'd trade rosters in a heartbeat and even throw in some Colts Tickets to sweeten the deal.  

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 30, 2020 11:02 am  

@youth-coach You're preaching to the converted :-). I'm not sure how that's going to fly with the parents that don't already know. The ones I've spoken with aren't thrilled, but are just glad their kids won't be playing Fornite all day long.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
July 30, 2020 1:34 pm  

@youth-coach You're preaching to the converted :-). I'm not sure how that's going to fly with the parents that don't already know. The ones I've spoken with aren't thrilled, but are just glad their kids won't be playing Fornite all day long.

Make the most of it!  Work the plan and use the experience to teach.  If, by chance, you happen to make a Simple TE Dump Pass or 5 yard out work 80% of the time they can turn into Pure Gold off Play Action.  That would be my goal with 7 on 7.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 7
Share: