Notifications

More Covid....  

Page 6 / 15
  RSS

DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze
August 2, 2020 10:15 pm  

Hey guys, been a while.  Just heard our Aug 3rd start date was pushed back at least a week.  Came down from pop warner.  Anyone else getting similar reports?  We're in Jersey, still a lot up in the air.  Kinda sucks as we had just absorbed our in town AYF team who already had their season canceled.  

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
August 3, 2020 11:34 am  

In Ohio, non-contact and low-contact sports (tennis, golf, volleyball) are able to practice and have scrimmages and games against other schools.

Contact sports (football, soccer) can practice and do contact/scrimmage stuff within their own team but cannot play against other schools yet.  The Health Dept released guidelines this weekend stating that players, coaches, etc in these sports must have a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of playing another school and must have the test results in hand prior to the contest.  Obviously tons of push back on this. The state athletic association seems like they are trying to fight it. Its not feasible at all. 

A neighboring county to me, that has had higher numbers through this whole thing, had their county health dept recommend all online learning and no sports for the first 9 weeks. So several schools began scrapping their fall sports plans on Friday, when first practices were to begin on Saturday.  One school has already changed course and brought back fall sports.

Cross Country has been deemed a contact sport by our state, but some national guidance reclassified it as low-contact, so the state is supposed to be looking at changing their classification as well.

The state athletic association fired their director about 3-4 weeks ago. It was a shocking move. The guy was about as transparent as they come, available to the public on social media, would answer anyone's questions about any topic, then boom, they can the guy in the middle of this whole thing. Strange stuff.

I have seen some youth leagues around me cancel their seasons.  My town has not done so yet.

My daughter plays volleyball, they were initially classified a contact sport, then about a month ago they got changed to low-contact. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 3, 2020 1:29 pm  
Posted by: @dukescoach

Hey guys, been a while.  Just heard our Aug 3rd start date was pushed back at least a week.  Came down from pop warner.  Anyone else getting similar reports?  We're in Jersey, still a lot up in the air.  Kinda sucks as we had just absorbed our in town AYF team who already had their season canceled.  

More specifically, where are you?  We're Newton Braves YFL, last played in the Morris County YFL, our players would be "Junior Varsity" this year, and my fellow coach John wrote 2 days ago:

Nothing has been said yet Bob.
I know NJFL football in south jersey cancelled there youth football for the season
last Sunday. In the article it said they are linked to leagues in union Hutson
warren and Sussex county. I think that is the league with no weight limits.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 3, 2020 1:35 pm  
Posted by: @coachmiket

In Ohio,...

Cross Country has been deemed a contact sport by our state,...

My daughter plays volleyball, they were initially classified a contact sport, then about a month ago they got changed to low-contact. 

Ohioans sure must play rough!

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 3, 2020 6:56 pm  

@gumby_in_co

Your post has not aged well, much like the conspiracy theories that this was all made up or no big deal.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 3, 2020 8:11 pm  
Posted by: @coachbradfromcanada

@gumby_in_co

Your post has not aged well, much like the conspiracy theories that this was all made up or no big deal.

Which post?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 3, 2020 9:20 pm  

@gumby_in_co

Gumby? He is still on lock down. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 3, 2020 9:51 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

@gumby_in_co

Which post?

"The pandemic is overblown and was never a threat to most of us and every response: lock downs; public health orders; business closures; masks; social distancing; testing; and even the recession/depression were completely unnecessary. Let's get back to business as usual."

It now appears I may have misread the original post. My apologies if I have. I read it as you stating that in your opinion it is overblown.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 3, 2020 10:24 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp
My question is, what does all this (below) even matter, when the game itself can't be PLAYED with physical distancing?

It doesn't. There are 2 schools of thought:

1) The pandemic is overblown and was never a threat to most of us and every response: lock downs; public health orders; business closures; masks; social distancing; testing; and even the recession/depression were completely unnecessary. Let's get back to business as usual.

2) The pandemic is real; it's dangerous and it is far from over and you shouldn't do anything that is contrary to COVID-19 safety measures.

Everyone has their reasons for being on one side or the other. Whichever side you're on, you can cherry pick stats, articles and evidence to prove that you're right. 

This post? What's changed?

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
August 4, 2020 8:18 am  

Just got officially shut down this morning! Been working hard since the end of last season to get everything in place. Bummer!!!

Oh well, they can't take away the information I've been able to accrue in the process! Just going to keep preparing for next season!

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
soul strife
(@soul-strife)
Copper
August 4, 2020 8:56 am  
Posted by: @coachmiket

In Ohio, non-contact and low-contact sports (tennis, golf, volleyball) are able to practice and have scrimmages and games against other schools.

Contact sports (football, soccer) can practice and do contact/scrimmage stuff within their own team but cannot play against other schools yet.  The Health Dept released guidelines this weekend stating that players, coaches, etc in these sports must have a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of playing another school and must have the test results in hand prior to the contest.  Obviously tons of push back on this. The state athletic association seems like they are trying to fight it. Its not feasible at all. 

A neighboring county to me, that has had higher numbers through this whole thing, had their county health dept recommend all online learning and no sports for the first 9 weeks. So several schools began scrapping their fall sports plans on Friday, when first practices were to begin on Saturday.  One school has already changed course and brought back fall sports.

Cross Country has been deemed a contact sport by our state, but some national guidance reclassified it as low-contact, so the state is supposed to be looking at changing their classification as well.

The state athletic association fired their director about 3-4 weeks ago. It was a shocking move. The guy was about as transparent as they come, available to the public on social media, would answer anyone's questions about any topic, then boom, they can the guy in the middle of this whole thing. Strange stuff.

I have seen some youth leagues around me cancel their seasons.  My town has not done so yet.

SW Ohio here, and we have seen several local schools shut down all Fall sports.  It seems the non-contact or full contact have no bearing.  Schools are shutting them down, "all or nothing."  We, just like many, have parents asking what is going on but, no one truly has an answer.  If the 72 hour test becomes a reality, most of my parents are going to opt out.  I really can't blame them as it's their child and I will harbor no ill will toward any of them.  IMO, folks just want an answer either way as they are tired of living in limbo.  If you have your season, good luck to you.  

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
August 4, 2020 9:19 am  

@rpatric I'm very sorry to hear that. You've been one of the most enthusiastic coaches on this board, so I couldn't wait to read about your team's success this fall (and then takes notes, so I could do the same ;-))

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 4, 2020 9:21 am  

"The pandemic is overblown and was never a threat to most of us and every response: lock downs; public health orders; business closures; masks; social distancing; testing; and even the recession/depression were completely unnecessary. Let's get back to business as usual."

It now appears I may have misread the original post. My apologies if I have. I read it as you stating that in your opinion it is overblown.

The fact that I am not coaching this season regardless of what my league decided to do says everything. I just refuse to argue with anyone about it. No one is going to change their mind on this, so why argue?

If you're set on playing football during this pandemic you either a) don't think your team will have a COVID-19 outbreak or b) don't care if it happens.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

32wedge and CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
August 4, 2020 9:22 am  

@terrypjohnson

I appreciate the kind words Coach. Looking forward to hearing about the mesh between the DW and SW. I know you'll do great with it! There's always next year for us! Good luck Coach!

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 4, 2020 10:23 am  

If you're set on playing football during this pandemic you either a) don't think your team will have a COVID-19 outbreak or b) don't care if it happens.

^ This.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 15
Share: