RSS

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
August 4, 2020 1:38 pm  

Irony.  I was mowing our Field Sunday and it dawned on me that this was more of a maintenance function than a need.  We won't be turning on the Scoreboard! We wont be stripping the field! We wont be announcing! We wont even be practicing!

Yesterday we Opted Out of the Spring Football scenario as well.   

Time has come to retire!  Time for the younger men to take control or leave it to fade away.  I can honestly say I have enjoyed the hell out of my time working with kids to teach them the game of football.  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

mahonz and rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 5, 2020 9:45 am  

I get it, Scott.  I would like to continue, but I doubt I'll have the chance.  

I've long said, "Enjoy the ride while you can.  It'll be over before you know it."  And here we are pulling into the station.  Looks like here's where I get off the train...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 5, 2020 2:45 pm  

So it was no surprise to me when I heard of issues at Colorado State and HC Steve Addazio before he's even coached one game there.  If you've read this forum with regularity over the years, you probably already know how little respect I have for the man.

Among some of the interesting bits of the story: "Colorado State football players and athletic department staff say coaches have told players not to report COVID-19 symptoms, threatened players with reduced playing time if they quarantine and claim CSU is altering contact tracing reports to keep players practicing."

And this from a staff member:  "Said an athletic department staff member, who also spoke to the Coloradoan on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution: "There are some red flags in the athletic department, but the common denominator with this administration is to protect the coaches before the student-athletes and that makes them feel more like cattle than student-athletes.'"

"One player told the Coloradoan that coaches have told players not to tell trainers if they have symptoms because they had so many athletes held out of practice."

Then we come to this interesting remark by CSU Athletic Director Joe Parker:  "Parker agreed the incident (a 4th of July party) appears to have spurred the increase. He said as difficult as it is for student-athletes to adhere to COVID-19 safety measures outside of practices, not abiding by those guidelines puts themselves and other players and staff at risk."

Here's what I find "interesting" about the CSU Athletic Director placing the blame on the kids by "not abiding by those guidelines puts themselves and other players and staff at risk."  Watch this YouTube video called, "Cookin' With Coach" where CSU RB's coach Brian White entertains players at his house:

Video:

The article goes on to state: "Players and staff said Addazio, 61, and defensive coordinator Chuck Heater, 67, rarely wear their masks. They said that is dangerous to themselves because of their age and also sets a bad example for the team."

I can believe this about Addazio and Heater because of what is quite clearly shown in the video with Coach White.

Here is a link to the complete article:

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 6, 2020 1:16 am  

CHSSA just moved HS Football to the Spring. A bit of a surprise for me since they already released the Game Schedule for my local Programs. 

This morning Our Optimist Club Speaker was the gal that coordinates with the 171 different High Schools in the State. Plain and simple. HS Athletics is a State wide thing...not a local thing...eventually. All levels play towards a State Championship so all Schools must be included in the overall COVID plan State wide. Not all of the local Health Departments could agree on any one plan because not all areas of the State are dealing with common issues. 

Therefore they punted. 

Now we can better appreciate what President Trump is dealing with on a daily basis with multiple issues.....50 States all with unique situations and each one of those States has another 171 unique situations within. Its a mess. 

Better days ahead Fellas. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 6, 2020 1:28 am  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co
Posted by: @coachbradfromcanada

"The pandemic is overblown and was never a threat to most of us and every response: lock downs; public health orders; business closures; masks; social distancing; testing; and even the recession/depression were completely unnecessary. Let's get back to business as usual."

It now appears I may have misread the original post. My apologies if I have. I read it as you stating that in your opinion it is overblown.

The fact that I am not coaching this season regardless of what my league decided to do says everything. I just refuse to argue with anyone about it. No one is going to change their mind on this, so why argue?

If you're set on playing football during this pandemic you either a) don't think your team will have a COVID-19 outbreak or b) don't care if it happens.

As you know today was day one for practice. I can honestly say it felt no different than going to the grocery store. I followed all the procedures. It was a pain but whatever....I cant sit at home anymore. The kids knew full well what was up and complied wonderfully. I will check in with you in a week....see how Im feeling. My goal is to get you out there just one time...even if that means you are wearing one of Steph's hazmat suits. The kids would love that.  😎 

PS...you were missed. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 7, 2020 12:02 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

As you know today was day one for practice. I can honestly say it felt no different than going to the grocery store. I followed all the procedures. It was a pain but whatever....I cant sit at home anymore. The kids knew full well what was up and complied wonderfully. I will check in with you in a week....see how Im feeling. My goal is to get you out there just one time...even if that means you are wearing one of Steph's hazmat suits. The kids would love that.  😎 

PS...you were missed. 

I miss being out there. I'll make it out there to say hi to the Outlaws. No need for a hazmat suit. Mask and distance is fine. As we've discussed, my personal preference to not catch COVID from football accounts for about 10% of my issue.

There are other things that I am allowing to go on in my house that are more likely to get me infected, plus going to stores, etc. Hell, a family friend just died and I'm going to his wake on Monday afternoon. Big Catholic family, so a Rosary on Sunday, burial on Monday morning and wake on Monday afternoon. I'm only going to the wake, but I can't help but think of all those people crammed into a church, crying and hugging, then all huddled at the cemetery, also crying and hugging, then gathering at the wake crying and hugging. At least 1 person that will be there is vehemently anti-mask and truly believes this is a hoax perpetrated by Bill Gates and his puppet, Anthony Fauci.

Cherry Creek Schools (4th largest in CO) is going back to class 100% for K-8 on August 17. By September, we ought to know just how overblown this thing is.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
August 7, 2020 4:00 pm  

In other Ohio news...

Our Governor was scheduled to greet President Trump at a Cleveland airport yesterday, so the standard procedure apparently calls for him to get one of those rapid tests before meeting with the President. Test comes back positive and the Governor is sent back to Columbus, where later last night he takes another test (not as rapid as the first) and the test comes back negative.  

Take it for what it's worth.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 8, 2020 5:01 pm  
Posted by: @coachdp

So it was no surprise to me when I heard of issues at Colorado State and HC Steve Addazio before he's even coached one game there.  If you've read this forum with regularity over the years, you probably already know how little respect I have for the man.

But wait! There's More!

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/08/07/csu-rams-football-paused-racism-allegations/

CSU has gotten a long way from the program that Sonny Lubick built.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 8, 2020 9:34 pm  

"Hill wrote to (Athetic Director Joe) Parker after he was terminated in January. 'Also, bringing in a new head football coach who tells the graduate assistants within days of knowing them that he 'doesn't give a f--- about their feelings' is contradictory to being 'committed to the holistic development of student-athletes ... and of crafting a culture where students thrive.'"

Another source who works closely with Addazio confirmed to ESPN the language used in a meeting with graduate assistants.

--That's him to a T.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 9, 2020 11:51 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

"Hill wrote to (Athetic Director Joe) Parker after he was terminated in January. 'Also, bringing in a new head football coach who tells the graduate assistants within days of knowing them that he 'doesn't give a f--- about their feelings' is contradictory to being 'committed to the holistic development of student-athletes ... and of crafting a culture where students thrive.'"

Another source who works closely with Addazio confirmed to ESPN the language used in a meeting with graduate assistants.

--That's him to a T.

--Dave

Since yesterday, a bunch of football players signed a letter/petition saying that all of the allegations are nonsense. Then Hill responded by doubling down and putting a lot of the blame on Parker, the AD.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 9, 2020 2:05 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Since yesterday, a bunch of football players signed a letter/petition saying that all of the allegations are nonsense. Then Hill responded by doubling down and putting a lot of the blame on Parker, the AD.

They weren't allegations at BC.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 9, 2020 2:11 pm  

What I do know is that the same AD (Joe Parker) also thought it was a good idea to hire Larry Eustachy.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 10, 2020 2:38 pm  

Crazy times...been weird weird weird...work, home, football...I think I shared about the attack on the network I had to deal with back in February (still actually dealing with it)...

Spring 7v7 was canceled...then our on site "combine" was canceled in May, and again in June. Draft was via Zoom.

Lost....let me rephrase...I had two players move because of COVID (two of my better players), job issues for their parents, drafted 3 new boys, was given two more boys, late registrations, one of those didn't want to play for me (dunno why) so lost one of the wait list kids...then was given another, then the one who didn't want to play for me decided they did want to play for me, but it was too late...

Texas UIL pushed back the 5A and 6A calendars...the league followed suit, and informed us our 1st 4 practices had to be virtual, so we wouldn't be playing little kid football in January. Actually just finished my practice plan for the 1st virtual practice...the 5 new kids I have are complete unknowns, and the first 4 practices are when a lot of evaluation happens...which now can't happen.

Delivered my son back to ATU, the same week the GAC announced they were pushing the season back, the second day he was there he heard a rumor that school was going to open on time and stay open for 12 days, then shut it down and close the campus, apparently 12 days is the magic number for federal money. He went ahead and got USA Football certified just in case he is back in Texas and we are playing football here, he can coach with me again 🙂 

Vendors are having issues with work force, so mistakes are being made on orders, but have spent roughly $2500 on a fall season that is looking like it is not going to happen...The news this morning about the Power 5 conferences maybe shutting things down. A 2A HS in South Texas canceled its football season this morning, Tarleton has postponed their season until the spring...

But, we did get a new puppy... I need the world to go back to normal 😛  

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
Dan Lyons
(@dan-lyons)
Lurker
August 10, 2020 3:41 pm  

Hey guys.  Been a long time.   Glad to see some old faces still around.  I miss my friend Michael O'Gorman.  We would have spent many hours arguing about this topic.   

I'll give my 2 cents on Covid and football.  

First let me say every time I do someone gets really angry.  That's not my intent.  But if you get angry at my opinion so be it.  I have been basically chased out of NFL forums for having the wrong opinions on this issue.

First it's obviously a real thing.  A nasty bug.  If you get it there is a chance you could die.   I do not deny that.  I never have.

But I have always been a skeptic on many things because I know the motivations of people and this thing has many motivations.

Remember truisms:

1) People lie.   2) There are lies, damn lies and statistics.   3) The best lies have a lot of truth in them.  4) Believe half of what you see and nothing that you read.

Think about some things in recent history before believing what media is pumping out since March.  What they have done with Covid virus and panic they have successfully created in our hearts and minds they also tried to do with the following (off top of my head):

1) Global Warming.  2) Global Cooling. 3) Population Explosion.  4) Climate Change. 5) Aids.  6) Sars. 7) Bird Flu.  8) Pig Flu. 9) Y2K.   

In each and every instance above their dire predictions have been dead wrong.  Computer models.  Experts.  Graphs.  Everything.  And all of those things were and are real to some extent, but most of what they said about them were not real.   Many were deliberate lies for someone's purpose.     

It will come out soon almost everything they said about Covid was wrong and has been wrong.  It's still real, but our response has been to use Nuclear Weapons on it.   Quarantining healthy people and shutting down every business in country?  Insane.   

People really believe there will be no consequences to shutting down billion dollar industries, destroying thousands of small businesses and paying people not to work out to the U.S. treasury for months on end?   There are and will be dire consequences.

Every macro decision has a cost/benefit aspect.  You can save millions of lives by banning cars, but you lose convenience and industry and our standard of living.  But in a microcosm if you ask someone would you rather have a car or grandma of course you would say grandma.

They use horrible anecdotes to scare you.  They fudge numbers to scare you.  They cherry pick numbers to scare you.   

Everyone knows someone who died from Covid.  If you think about it everyone also knows someone who died in a swimming pool.   

There is no reason to shut down life for young healthy people.   Kids are far more likely to die from a hit on football field or in car on way to football field than from Covid.  

If you are in a nursing home you are there because you are not well enough to live on your own anymore.   A flu can kill you.  A pneumonia can kill you.   A fall can kill you.   An infection can kill you.  And Covid can kill you.   

They should always be protected and weary and in a situation like this heightened protection.  Take temperatures. Wear masks.  In Nursing homes.  If you are obese or unhealthy maybe you should stay home more.

People in nursing homes are dying like crazy because no one is visiting them anymore.  Ever think of the loneliness of that?  

I am severely asthmatic.  I will die when it is my time to die and I have no fear of it.   I have no desire to shut down the country for me.  And I have no desire for everyone to obstain from peanut butter for my highly allergic daughter.

We will be careful on our own.  Let the kids play.  Let people go to Church.  These things are essential.  

This post was modified 2 months ago by Dan Lyons

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 10, 2020 4:58 pm  

My 2 cents?  I think we'd be fine, if everyone just wore a mask and didn't shake hands.  Wash your hands after you've been in a public place.    But too many people won't, because they either don't believe in it, or it infringes on their "rights."

Close businesses?  Shut everything down?  I don't think we should.  So we end up with "overreactions" (close everything), because we can't even get many folks to do the "minimum" (wear the mask).

As it pertains to football?  I seriously doubt that I could ever coach with a mask on.  I know the players can't play with them (unless the mask technology changes dramatically).

I'm 59.  I'm in good shape.  I just had a friend who was the same age as me die from Covid.  I don't worry that Covid will kill me.  I worry that I could contract it, spend two weeks in a hospital, quarantine for another two weeks, and have it kick my butt so that I no longer have the energy or desire to be on the field.  And by the time I'm "well," the season is over.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

mahonz, spidermac, Seth54 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 15
Share: