More Covid....  

Page 8 / 15
  RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 11, 2020 12:20 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

My 2 cents?  I think we'd be fine, if everyone just wore a mask and didn't shake hands.  Wash your hands after you've been in a public place.    But too many people won't, because they either don't believe in it, or it infringes on their "rights."

Close businesses?  Shut everything down?  I don't think we should.  So we end up with "overreactions" (close everything), because we can't even get many folks to do the "minimum" (wear the mask).

As it pertains to football?  I seriously doubt that I could ever coach with a mask on.  I know the players can't play with them (unless the mask technology changes dramatically).

I'm 59.  I'm in good shape.  I just had a friend who was the same age as me die from Covid.  I don't worry that Covid will kill me.  I worry that I could contract it, spend two weeks in a hospital, quarantine for another two weeks, and have it kick my butt so that I no longer have the energy or desire to be on the field.  And by the time I'm "well," the season is over.

--Dave

^^^

Pretty much all of this except:

a) I'm 50 and in "meh" shape. 

b) I'm not "worried" that COVID will kill me, but I'm not ready to dismiss it entirely either. I personally know 4 people who had COVID: an 8 year old that didn't even know he had it, his 20 something brother who didn't know he had it, a 50 something who had sharp pains, lethargy and a "heavy chest", who got over it and a 50/60 something who was intubated for 3 weeks and nearly died.

c) This is what worries me. If I and people I associate with go about their business taking no precautions, AND I catch COVID, then I become one of the 3.5 people the person who gave it to me is expected to infect. I then go about my business for up to 2 weeks until I show symptoms and/or test positive, thus infecting 3.5 others who go about their business taking no precautions. When the dust clears, I participated in the pandemic, allowing the virus to carry out its genetic programming as it has since February and we have all seen the effects of that. Call it an over-reaction, an under-reaction, an adequate reaction or call it a purple unicorn. It is what it is. Numbers go up, things get shut down. Period. So I choose to keep numbers down. Plus, I'd feel responsible for the 3.5 people that I infected and the 3.5 they subsequently infected and the 3.5 they subsequently infected and so on. Then, I'd feel responsible for anyone who died that got traced back to me. That's how I feel and Mahonz will tell you that I have an overly developed sense of conscience.

d) I cannot fathom or visualize a version of football that does not eventually equate to "going about our business, taking no precautions". Take people's temperatures, have the adults wear masks, wipe down all the gear you want. At some point someone will block and someone will tackle. Both of which are 100% counter to all recommended precautions.

So it all boils down to why I would decide to ignore all the precautions. Because I need to feed my family and pay my mortgage? Okay, let's talk. Because I really, really, really can't stand to go a year without coaching football? Doesn't compute. Not to mention, if I'm coaching, I'm part of the machine that drives a large group of people to ignore the precautions and interacts with a different large group of people on a weekly basis.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
August 11, 2020 6:17 am  

My 2 cents; this virus, just like it’s cousin the common cold, is with us now to stay.  We can social distance and mask all we want but everyone is going to get it sooner or later and probably again after that.  

Back in March/April when 16,000 people/day were dying, we were told that we must social distance and wear masks to “flatten the curve” to prevent the hospitals from being overran.  Now somehow people have got the idea that they can stop the virus and completely prevent the spread by following those measures.  What they are actually doing is dragging it out over a longer period of time, “flattening the curve”.  Unless you live in isolation from society, your chances of getting the virus sooner or later is about as high as your chances of surviving it, about 99.***%.  

The medical field has learned a tremendous amount about how to treat it and how not to treat it in the past few months.  It is still a dangerous disease but is not the probable death sentence that it was in March.  The drop in death rates since the week of April 18 while the number of cases increased shows this.

I plan to keep on living as normal a life as possible.  I keep a mask in my vehicle and use it when entering places with mask requirements posted.  Where there is nothing posted and others are not wearing masks, I don’t bother.  I don’t harass or guilt trip anyone for wearing or not wearing a mask.  The people who feel the need to ridicule or harass others over this are idiots.  If you are that scared, stay home.

This post is simply my opinion and an explanation of why I have it.  You are free to disagree and maybe your opinion is more correct than mine, but if my opinion offends you and causes a dramatic emotional response in you, then you are one of those idiots I previously mentioned.

ReplyQuote
Dan Lyons
(@dan-lyons)
Lurker
August 11, 2020 8:45 am  
Posted by: @32wedge

My 2 cents; this virus, just like it’s cousin the common cold, is with us now to stay.  We can social distance and mask all we want but everyone is going to get it sooner or later and probably again after that.  

Back in March/April when 16,000 people/day were dying, we were told that we must social distance and wear masks to “flatten the curve” to prevent the hospitals from being overran.  Now somehow people have got the idea that they can stop the virus and completely prevent the spread by following those measures.  What they are actually doing is dragging it out over a longer period of time, “flattening the curve”.  Unless you live in isolation from society, your chances of getting the virus sooner or later is about as high as your chances of surviving it, about 99.***%.  

The medical field has learned a tremendous amount about how to treat it and how not to treat it in the past few months.  It is still a dangerous disease but is not the probable death sentence that it was in March.  The drop in death rates since the week of April 18 while the number of cases increased shows this.

I plan to keep on living as normal a life as possible.  I keep a mask in my vehicle and use it when entering places with mask requirements posted.  Where there is nothing posted and others are not wearing masks, I don’t bother.  I don’t harass or guilt trip anyone for wearing or not wearing a mask.  The people who feel the need to ridicule or harass others over this are idiots.  If you are that scared, stay home.

This post is simply my opinion and an explanation of why I have it.  You are free to disagree and maybe your opinion is more correct than mine, but if my opinion offends you and causes a dramatic emotional response in you, then you are one of those idiots I previously mentioned.

Sometimes the answer is to do nothing or little.  Not talking about medical treatment and research, talking govt. policy.   People can never accept that because they are control freaks.  The HOA board member type will always grasp for control.  

For 3000 years no one could imagine not controlling every aspect of an economy would result in greater wealth than expert control.  Many still can’t.  

Fredrick Douglas was asked many years ago “what to do with the Negro.”  He said, “Do nothing with with us!” Let us be as any other man.  I think, with a ton of evidence from Dr. Thomas Sowell’s writings and research, that had he been listened to the black community and our country would be infinitely better off today.   Instead rioters recently pulled Douglas statue down in insane irony.    

Sweden had this thing right from get go IMO.  

You separate sick animals from healthy ones as much as possible.  Farmers know this and have for centuries, before people even knew what a germ was.  Who ever heard of quarantining healthy people?  And what insane person would force sick people next to our most vulnerable and weakest?  

If you have an overwhelming outbreak then you take necessary measures in that area.  You don’t have a crazy outbreak in NY and quarantine Kansas.  

You want less sickness?  Stay home when you are sick, wash your hands and try not to touch your nose or eyes.  Masks are probably worse for average person - not doctors in surgery - because they are breathed on and wet, touched constantly and generally disgusting.  Masks are a false security.  

Also it is really not good to breath carbon dioxide all day.  And crazy to workout in a mask in heat. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Dan Lyons

32wedge and mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
soul strife
(@soul-strife)
Copper
August 11, 2020 9:32 am  

Looks like the Big 10 is canceling it's season.  Local school here now has 7 cases on the HS team and the HC has it so, they have been shut down for the season.  I am so over Covid.  

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 11, 2020 9:37 am  

Hello Dan....hope all is well. 😎 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Dan Lyons liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 11, 2020 9:48 am  

Well, the news has changed a bit this morning, maybe there will be college football...

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

The Buckeyes are back on the practice field, although the Mountain West is cancelling football...Air Force said, we don't care we are still playing (paraphrasing)...

Fingers crossed...

If we do play...what we (Dawgs) are going to do...

• I am going to build a "hands free" hand sanitizer dispenser out of PVC and bring it to all practices and games.
  • We are going to use the new TeamSnap "self-screen" app for all players and coaches
  • We are going to follow whatever mandates are placed on us as a requirement to play, for example, right now, UIL requires coaches to wear masks, my coaches are going to wear masks, or not coach. I have pre-ordered the $40 "athletes" mask from Under Armor, supposed to ship next week, hopefully its as good as they say.

It's been mentioned several times on here, this game does not lend itself to social distancing...and we are a spread team 😛 

I had one dad a couple of weeks ago send me an email that went something like this:

Coach, Personally, I am not scared of the Covid, but I know some are and are probably nervous about their kids touching other kids. I think you should make everyone wear receivers gloves so they don't actually touch each other.

Translation...I am scared, I don't want my kid touching those other diseased souls, please make everyone wear gloves. I replied...

Dad, I cannot force anyone to wear gloves or anything else that is not mandated by the state, UIL, USA Football or the league. We are going to comply with all requirements to play, our coaches will wear masks. Everyone has a choice, comply with mandates and participate or do not and don't participate. If you want your son to wear gloves, get him some gloves.

All in all, the toll on people's mental health is probably greater than on their physical health....

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
August 11, 2020 9:58 am  
Posted by: @spidermac 

It's been mentioned several times on here, this game does not lend itself to social distancing...and we are a spread team 😛 

It's starting to make sense now!  This whole thing is a giant conspiracy to outlaw foot to foot, phone box offenses!

spidermac and mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 11, 2020 10:03 am  

My 2 cents. If it were not an election year for President....things would be VERY different right now. This thing has been highly politicized and I am disgusted. 

The virus is very real. Locking down in March was the right thing to do. We had Europe as proof.  Most everyone was in full compliance. Then all the experts were wrong. Way wrong. Like not even on the same Planet wrong. Now the pandemic is utter and complete political bullshit. 

The cure will prove out to be way more detrimental than the virus itself. 

If I get COVID and die...or spread it and someone else dies....it would have happened anyway because I follow the Rules....even as they continually move the goal posts.  Proving that no one really has a clue and nature has its own way of doing things. 

Has anyone seen a mask with a whistle built in? I need one. 

Dan Lyons, terrypjohnson, spidermac and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 11, 2020 10:15 am  
Posted by: @mahonz

I haven't seen one with a whistle built in, but they have the ones that you can open and close to eat with 😛

I have a battery powered hand whistle I will use this season...

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 11, 2020 10:49 am  

This morning on Facebook, I saw this posted by a coaching friend of mine, who's much younger than I.

"Well today is my first day back at work after a 2 week battle with covid 19. Not sure how I got it. I wear a mask, i sanitize, I social distance and not for myself but because I have a wife and small children at home. Fortunately I didn't have to be put in hospital. But it was some of the most painful aches and symptoms I've ever had. I laid in my driveway one morning crying thinking I wasn't gonna pull thru. However even though my wife caught it she was by misidentified to help me and take care of our kids. So thank you to my wife, thank you to God who I prayed everyday just not for myself but for my family to be ok if I didn't get thru it. I prayed for all who has suffered thru this nasty virus. Thank you to my family members and friends who sent countless messages to pray for me. Thank you to my daughters who came to my bedroom door all thru the day to blow me kisses and tell me they love me so much. And lil Brie trying to sleep outside my door so she could be near me. I'm so thankful for family, faith and friends. I love you all. Have a great day and say a prayer for someone who may need it or for someone who has no one."

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 11, 2020 11:01 am  

Here's something I'm tired of hearing/reading about:  the whole hashtag I wanna play-movement.  Guess what?  We ALL wanna play.  It's not just the players that want football.  It's the coache$, the fan$, the athletic director$, the school president$, the network$, etc.  That's why it's a billion dollar industry.  So this whole "complain because the mean ol' boogey man won't let us play football" is ridiculous.  The ones who have shut down their seasons are willing to make the "unpopular" decision, the fiscally-challenging decision, to try and keep people safe.  We get it:  EVERYONE (associated with the sport) wants to "have football."  So if those schools (universities, high schools, middle schools and youth programs) decide not to participate, don't you think they're doing it because they believe it's the best overall decision they can make?  Or is their decision (not to participate) somehow a ruse?  Regardless, I don't bother complaining about it because it's a boat we're all in.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 11, 2020 11:47 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

Here's something I'm tired of hearing/reading about:  the whole hashtag I wanna play-movement.  Guess what?  We ALL wanna play.  It's not just the players that want football.  It's the coache$, the fan$, the athletic director$, the school president$, the network$, etc.  That's why it's a billion dollar industry.  So this whole "complain because the mean ol' boogey man won't let us play football" is ridiculous.  The ones who have shut down their seasons are willing to make the "unpopular" decision, the fiscally-challenging decision, to try and keep people safe.  We get it:  EVERYONE (associated with the sport) wants to "have football."  So if those schools (universities, high schools, middle schools and youth programs) decide not to participate, don't you think they're doing it because they believe it's the best overall decision they can make?  Or is their decision (not to participate) somehow a ruse?  Regardless, I don't bother complaining about it because it's a boat we're all in.

--Dave

We had an interesting Speaker at our Optimist Zoom Meeting last week.

She is the CHSAA  liaison for all of the HS Programs in Colorado. The main reason they decided to move Fall sports to January 2021 is that each District had a unique set of problems therefore no one could agree on one definitive plan for the season.

Some of these problems surprised me.

Maintenance workers were furloughed in March because they are not part of the Union. So...facilities are in need of some attention now but the Districts cant afford to hire their maintenance people back. Basically no fields to play on at all Schools. Why? Because State funds were allocated to retrofit the Convention Center in Denver into a COVID Hospital that received exactly ZERO patients.

Now many rural Communities are ready to send the kids back to school but cant. Why? They depend on a network of school buses to transport students. Now some dont have the money to hire bus drivers or the mechanics to keep them safely on the road. Why? Because Colorado spent $95M on ventilators they never used. 

And so on.

We can all argue better safe than sorry...no problem there... but now that things are more clear....I dont mind the complaining. Our Governor took Federal Funds for these COVID projects and balanced his own budget. Now all of his pet projects will get funded. Its now full blown political BS. He is a thief. 

Our State Capitol Building is a wreck. Damage everywhere. ANTIFA is camped out across the street in our Civic Center Park. Denver's pathetic excuse of a Mayor will do nothing. The Police have their hands tied due to extreme politics. 

This goes way beyond playing football. We have all had enough.  Hashtag EVERYTHING !!!!

PS...Im not on Twitter. 

Seabass liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 11, 2020 2:02 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 11, 2020 2:37 pm  

Do I want to coach football? Hell yes...I am making my wife nuts...i am making my self nuts...

Do I want to coach football in the current conditions...for that I pause and say, I don't know...there are risks...

• I could get sick, and maybe die...
  • I could get sick, and maybe develop problems that shorten my life even if I don't die until later
  • Someone on my team could get sick and maybe die.
  • I could get sued if someone on my team gets sick, even if I followed all of the protocols and let's follow this...

My son is a college football player...he wants to play...he hopes he gets to play, is he doing everything he is being asked to do right now? Masks, social distancing, personal hygiene, etc....yes...but he knows the decision is outside of his control...the University President is going to decide if he gets to play...and Dave, you had the $$$ signs in your post above...and the University Pre$ident is going to look at the dollars too...as are all of them....

My son plays D2...so the revenue is not there like Texas or Ohio State, no where near, I saw something a bit ago, the highest D2 Football revenue school is like $4 million and it ain't ATU...so maybe Dr. Whoever he is at ATU is actually thinking about safety, and I will wander back to that in a bit...but the revenue is there at Texas...huge revenue for the University...and let's skip Texas and go to Ohio State, because Texas wants to play last I heard...Ohio State has huge revenue as well...but they (aside from the players and coaches) don't want to play...and the players, well they do want to play, but don't want to sign Covid waivers...

Back to the $$$...what if an NFL prospect from OSU plays this season, and gets sick, doesn't die, but develops complication in his lungs or his heart? And he didn't sign a Covid waiver...and decides to sue OSU for future earnings...didn't we just see a 400+ million dollar NFL contract? What is that going to cost?

Back to ATU...they have seen a decline in enrollment since Covid...and that is where they get their revenue...butts on campus...if they told everyone that it was going to be remote learning for the fall semester, no butts on campus, and even lower enrollment...as kids would enroll at their local community college, perspective, my daughter goes to the local college, her entire semester costs less than one of my son's classes...anywho...back to the rumor...and we will know if it is true in a couple of weeks...open for 12 days, get the federal dollars, then shut it down and go remote...

We cannot pretend everyone's or anyone's motives are pure in this situation...some I am sure are, and maybe I sullied Dr Whatever his name is' reputation...maybe I hit it on the head...the thing is, we just don't know....some are doing the best they can with what they know, some....not so much...I am preparing as if we are going to play...getting masks and Lysol wipes and making a hand sanitizer station out of PVC...

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper
August 11, 2020 6:01 pm  

We had a coaches meeting last night and the word is that unless the Governor shuts us down, and he may, we will have a season. We are basically taking it week to week. We will do our 2 days of heat acclimation Wed and Thurs, with plenty of distancing. Pads will probably be distributed next week, but no real plan is in place.

As far as motivations, I'm just looking for some normalcy. My daughter will also play soccer, and considering that school will be totally remote, this will basically represent their total exposures to risk. That said, it will also represent their only opportunity to socialize and be kids. I expect to get shut down before we crown a league champion around Thanksgiving, but I feel like they need the chance to be kids.

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 15
Share: