mahonz and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Dan Lyons
(@dan-lyons)
Lurker
August 12, 2020 1:29 pm  
Posted by: @mahonz

Hello Dan....hope all is well. 😎 

It is thank you very much.  Kids are growing.  They are 13 and 11 now.   My son does not play football.  My kids don't like sports at all, but they are awesome all the same.  So blessed by them.  

Just went to a large party my brother throws every year and saw many old coaches I coached with and several kids I coached over years.

This very beautiful woman comes up to me at party and hugs me tight and says she missed me so, so much.  I didn't remember her at all.  I'm like I missed you too!  Looking around for my wife to see how much trouble I may be in for this moment.   I coached her kid and knew her husband well, but only met her a few times.  It was funny.  

My first batch have all graduated college now and some will be married soon with children of their own.  Like my grandchildren in a way.

Actually my first, first batch of football players are much older.  I coached middle school for a year when I was in my original hometown in 1996.   I lost track of those kids a long time ago. 

Time just keeps on moving.  I still meet players my dad coached in late 70s and 80s who tell me about it.   

This website has changed.  I had to reregister as I couldn't get my old account to work.  

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 13, 2020 5:04 pm  
Posted by: @dan-lyons

It is thank you very much.  Kids are growing.  They are 13 and 11 now.   My son does not play football.  My kids don't like sports at all, but they are awesome all the same.  So blessed by them.  

Just went to a large party my brother throws every year and saw many old coaches I coached with and several kids I coached over years.

This very beautiful woman comes up to me at party and hugs me tight and says she missed me so, so much.  I didn't remember her at all.  I'm like I missed you too!  Looking around for my wife to see how much trouble I may be in for this moment.   I coached her kid and knew her husband well, but only met her a few times.  It was funny.  

My first batch have all graduated college now and some will be married soon with children of their own.  Like my grandchildren in a way.

Actually my first, first batch of football players are much older.  I coached middle school for a year when I was in my original hometown in 1996.   I lost track of those kids a long time ago. 

Time just keeps on moving.  I still meet players my dad coached in late 70s and 80s who tell me about it.   

This website has changed.  I had to reregister as I couldn't get my old account to work.  

Yah the website almost shut down last December but Chris ( Mosley The Cat ) and some of the Members all came together to keep it running for a while. See what happens....unfortunately....not much.

Lar and I started over with the Super Smurfs 2 seasons ago...a new team for my youngest grandson. Now he isnt playing so Im wondering why Im doing this for anymore. Coaching football has become utter bullchit. I just finished my USA Football Cert....took 5 hours. Now Im fully up to speed on how to recognize 9 year olds raping 9 year olds at football practice...how to save the Ref when he has a heart attack...how to coach responsibly when the heat index is extreme....what moms think about the mental growth football promotes....how to block...how to tackle...how to keep a journal...how to think and act properly as a coach in today's progressive triggered World ....and another 30 items of nonsense that really does not apply. 

BTW...the concussion protocols are now just an afterthought in the Cert process and took me about 15 minutes to complete. 

Add in this year. Now Im a Nurse taking everyone's Temp...a chemist so I can properly disinfect....a therapist so I can assure parents they are doing the right thing by subjecting their children to COVID...and a politician so when I go to Board Meetings I can blend in on all that stupidity. 

Then...I get out on the practice field...smell the fresh cut grass...surround myself with all the happy little faces and Im home. 😎 

This post was modified 2 months ago by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

jtrent64 liked
ReplyQuote
Dan Lyons
(@dan-lyons)
Lurker
August 14, 2020 9:44 am  
Posted by: @dan-lyons

Yah the website almost shut down last December but Chris ( Mosley The Cat ) and some of the Members all came together to keep it running for a while. See what happens....unfortunately....not much.

Lar and I started over with the Super Smurfs 2 seasons ago...a new team for my youngest grandson. Now he isnt playing so Im wondering what Im doing this for anymore. Coaching football has become utter bullchit. I just finished my USA Football Cert....took 5 hours. Now Im fully up to speed on how to recognize 9 year olds raping 9 year olds at football practice...how to save the Ref when he has a heart attack...how to coach responsibly when the hear index is extreme....what moms think about the mental growth football promotes....how to block...how to tackle...how to keep a journal...how to think and act properly as a coach in today's progressive triggered World ....and another 30 items of nonsense that really does not apply. 

BTW...the concussion protocols are now just an afterthought in the Cert process and took me about 15 minutes to complete. 

Add in this year. Now Im a Nurse taking everyone's Temp...a chemist so I can properly disinfect....a therapist so I can assure parents they are doing the right thing by subjecting their children to COVID...and a politician so when I go to Board Meetings I can blend in on all that stupidity. 

Then...I get out on the practice field...smell the fresh cut grass...surround myself with all the happy little faces and Im home. 😎 

I feel you.  I was a USA trainer back in day.  It didn’t have all the stuff, but it still had a bunch of useless stuff.  I did their power point in about 5 minutes.  Told them most of important stuff I knew and then opened it up whatever they wanted to talk about or needed help with.

People that run it said I got tons of hand written praise from coaches and they always asked me back.  I probably wouldn’t be welcome now.  I Brought Michael once and they liked him even better.  It really shocked me he was so rejected by other coaches in my org. And the parents.  It makes me sad thinking back on it.  I think a large part of it was his looks and stature.  Sad people can be so shallow.      

I was just volunteering at a church youth group for 2nd time and people don’t know me well. 

There is a troubled little boy that attends that purposely disrupts the youth pastor whenever he speaks.  So he is doing his thing, I walk up forcibly take him by hand and pull him away.  Kid starts screaming at top of his lungs and goes limp.  I keep dragging him on ground.   Everyone is looking at me like I am the bad guy or so it felt. I was told to stop and I did.  

Sad thing is I am doing it out of love.  Not disciplining children is not love.  Given a free hand I could probably fix that kid in about 6 months or less after 12 years of bad parenting.  For a time at least.  

Instead what will happen is kid will come back next week.  Act up again and be booted.  And nothing will change for him.  It makes me weep.  

Why?  Because we are PC and litigious society, instead of one with common sense, common purpose and love.   

We have ceded too much ground to the outcasts of or society that hate it with every fiber of their being and are acting accordingly.  

mahonz and Majortom liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
August 14, 2020 2:26 pm  

Best thing I've read all day.    Identify fully

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze
August 15, 2020 1:06 am  

@mahonz   good to hear Mike... Our season was cancelled. NO Spring or fall ball. some of us trying to hook with select leagues that are playing.  Thanks for the camp info, maybe I will be able to use it next year.

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
August 15, 2020 10:16 am  

Our competitive season was canceled last week. No games. As a Board, we voted to bail on the season altogether based on new rules imposed by the state which made even clinic-style practices unfeasible.  We refunded everyone’s money and took the loss because we didn’t want to impact our families impacted any further.

We are assessing whether we can make some smaller pod practices during the fall, but insurance will be an issue and we now EEE (mosquito-borne disease) ramping up.  Probably not the best year to have our best numbers in years.

Personally, I am not really worried for me. I don’t want to pass it on to my parents or friends who are compromised. With football, I really worry about pushing forward with practices and play for the kids and then having an outbreak here. This is a new virus that we still don’t know enough about (which is frustrating), so there is a lot of fear of the unknown.

I also feel for my son who is heading into his senior year of HS. I don’t think he is going to play another game that matters. He and his teammates are kids that we coached from 3rd grade and they had a ton of success. They were looking at competing for a state title and now they may not play at all. Disheartening, but they have a lot of memories left to make.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 15, 2020 10:53 am  
Posted by: @patriotsfatboy1

Our competitive season was canceled last week. No games. As a Board, we voted to bail on the season altogether based on new rules imposed by the state which made even clinic-style practices unfeasible.  We refunded everyone’s money and took the loss because we didn’t want to impact our families impacted any further.

We are assessing whether we can make some smaller pod practices during the fall,

Some practice activities may be fun, but overall, would kids seriously be interested in practicing for games that'll never happen? Football is a game, practice is for games.

I also feel for my son who is heading into his senior year of HS. I don’t think he is going to play another game that matters. He and his teammates are kids that we coached from 3rd grade and they had a ton of success. They were looking at competing for a state title and now they may not play at all. Disheartening, but they have a lot of memories left to make.

Think in 2021 there'll be any club play for HS grads who didn't get to play as seniors?  This may be an opportunity for some adult football clubs to start, or for existing ones to grow.  Some of the would-be players will be away at college, but enough may be close enough to home to organize there.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
August 15, 2020 2:13 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman
Posted by: @patriotsfatboy1

We are assessing whether we can make some smaller pod practices during the fall,

Some practice activities may be fun, but overall, would kids seriously be interested in practicing for games that'll never happen? Football is a game, practice is for games.

Think in 2021 there'll be any club play for HS grads who didn't get to play as seniors?  This may be an opportunity for some adult football clubs to start, or for existing ones to grow.  Some of the would-be players will be away at college, but enough may be close enough to home to organize there.

Kids want to do something. We can have them running routes and doing fun things, but it won’t be like practice. Not a lot of line work, but you do 7 on 7 work and it is better than nothing. Having kids sit on their ass is not good for their physical and mental well-being and parents know it.

I don’t see my son playing club football. It won’t be his team that he worked with all of those years. He likes to play with them and not necessarily just to play.

ReplyQuote
JustPlay
(@rjbthor)
Silver
August 16, 2020 5:47 pm  

Our HS had its first game Friday. It was a sold out event. Ticket prices were 10$ total capacity was 50% of norm. Social Distancing by group. 6-8 feet apart in a radius.  Masks were worn at all times. It was pretty cool to see Jr. out there ripping it. We won. Cant wait till next Friday…… unless we get a team that tests positive. Then we get a bye week.  

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

G8trs liked
ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
August 17, 2020 10:49 am  

Great American Conference (where my son plays) shut it down Friday night...from what my son relayed, the football teams couldn't handle the financial burden of all of the required testing. They are still working out, and will treat fall like "spring ball", unless they shut the campus down, which is a rumor he heard. At which point he will come home and do his "remote" learning in Texas instead of Arkansas...and if my little kid team plays, he will help us coach them up...we got him USA Football Certified, just in case...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 17, 2020 11:15 am  

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/15/fda-clears-saliva-test-for-covid-19-opening-door-to-wider-testing/

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
August 18, 2020 3:32 pm  

Ohio Governor just gave a press conference stating that all fall sports, contact and non/low-contact, may proceed now as scheduled.

Spectators will be limited to family members and close friends of the participants.

It is the decision of each school district whether they want to play fall or spring football. Although spring football just seems very unrealistic to me. There are some people pushing to flip the fall and spring seasons but I just don't see how it makes any sense when you really break it down.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 18, 2020 4:20 pm  
Posted by: @coachmiket

Ohio Governor just gave a press conference stating that all fall sports, contact and non/low-contact, may proceed now as scheduled.

Spectators will be limited to family members and close friends of the participants.

It is the decision of each school district whether they want to play fall or spring football. Although spring football just seems very unrealistic to me. There are some people pushing to flip the fall and spring seasons but I just don't see how it makes any sense when you really break it down.

Those proposing to flip those schedules, do they want to make it permanent?  Because otherwise at some point they'll be flipping it back.

ReplyQuote
coachmiket
(@coachmiket)
Gold
August 18, 2020 4:33 pm  

@bob-goodman

Not from what I have heard. They want spring football and then fall football in 2021. Besides the fact that you are looking at a very short turnaround between two football seasons, I think something that gets lost in there is what will happen to wrestling and boys basketball?  Will there be some kids that skip those winter seasons because they last into late winter/early spring and they want to be able to get a head start on football training?

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 15
Share: