Clear all

More Payment

Page 1 / 2

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Text I received today from a player. 

“Hey Coach Potter. Wanted to wish a late Merry Christmas and hope you had a great day with your family. I can’t wait to see you and Coach Williams in the spring.  I can’t wait for football season because I’m gonna use everything you taught me.  You were my inspiration last season.  You pushed me to limits nobody else pushed me, so I just wanted to make sure you’ve had a great day, tell you I can’t wait to see you and let you know so you can tell Coach Murphy I’m going to Varsity with the mindset of starting Wingback and starting Cornerback or Linebacker.  Every touch I get will be dedicated to you & Coach Williams.  You were like an uncle to me or a big brother. I’m grateful to call you Coach.”

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

IMPACT!!! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Great stuff, Dave!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Tonight I received a text from a dad who coached with me and whose son played QB for me for 3 years (2002-2004).  His son was a D1 athlete who has graduated from college: "We were just talking about what made you such a good coach.  If he goes into coaching, I have no doubt he will model himself after you.  You have made an impact on a lot of lives, but I'm quite certain none bigger than you had on Alex.  That's a very cool thing he and I both will always feel connected to you and thankful for you."

I feel very connected to my players of today, but when I receive a text from someone I coached with a long time ago, it really makes that relationship we shared so much richer.  I'm grateful to have the opportunity and God has certainly blessed me many times over.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver

Coaching is such a great platform to impact people! Congrat's coach!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Coaching is such a great platform to impact people! Congrat's coach!

Thank you Coach.  And that ability to impact others is what gives you such an incredible responsibility to uphold coaching your players in the right way.

--Dave 

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Received another text from a player at my previous high school:

Player: "What's going on, Coach?"

Me: "Hey ****!  How are you doing?"

Player:  "I'm doing pretty good.  Finals are coming up though.  How is your new school?"

Me:  "It's fine.  I'm enjoying it but I miss you guys.  How are your grades?"

Player:  "I did pretty good.  I had 2 A's and 2 B's."

Me:  "A/B Honor Roll.  You are STILL the man.  Congratulations, that's awesome.  Keep making me proud."

Player:  "Just doing me, Coach!  Thank you for the support.  GHHS is not the same without you."

Me: "Thank you."

This shows that you can still have a relationship with players after you've left the building.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper

Coach Dave those kinds of text is to me better then winning the SuperBowl.  Great job!!

I had a kid come by my house a couble of weeks ago that I haven't seen in 18years. Told me he's coaching young kids now , trying to make a difference like I did for him.  I can only hope I did. He had a very tough childhood.

Thanks for sharing

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Told me he's coaching young kids now , trying to make a difference like I did for him.  I can only hope I did. He had a very tough childhood.

We had a lot of young men like that.  When I coached youth ball, more than 70% of our players came from single-parent households and more than 80% qualified for free or reduced lunch.  Not a lot of dads around.  We not only hoped to make a difference for that player, but for every player who came through our program.  I think there are coaches out there who "hope to make a difference."  But I wonder if they actually know how?  Is it just a "hope" with them, or is it something they are trying to actually pursue with some sort of detailed plan?  In another thread I asked the question, "Why Do You Coach?"  For most, it seems to be about the sport itself and their relationship with their players in that sport.  Nothing wrong with that, but considering the power we have and the influence that we can make, can we influence them in more ways than just what happens on the field?  Some choose to teach life lessons through the game, and football is a great medium for that.  But I prefer to teach life lessons, period.

User 007 said something in that thread about him being "sexist."  I don't know if he actually meant, "prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex" or like me he feels that there's a strong movement in place for the feminization process of our young men, and that he's fighting a battle against it.  Because I don't see a change coming, as long as there are as many single mothers trying to raise children.  There's no way that most single moms can provide what a father who's present can provide.  Moms are moms and when they play the mom-role with no dad around, the pendulum swings far to one side.  So they (over) compensate by trying to also be the dad, which simply doesn't work.  What we end up with is a child who's confused and angry.  We talk to our players (who are in this category) about it.  It's interesting (and sad and tragic) to have a conversation with a 14-16 year-old boy who's without a dad for no good reason.  One of my player's has a restraining order against his father for physical abuse.  So "Dad" can't come within X-number of feet of his son. 

My hope is that an open discourse between my coaching staff and my players will help them in their ability to take control over their own lives.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper

All I can say to that coach is amen.  It's  obvious you been doing it a long time and thought about a lot of these things before... I come from a two parent household. Didn't know any better and thought everyone did too when I was young. I learned so much when I started coaching youth football years ago. To be honest I didn't even think about making a difference then. I really just wanted to win. I'm not proud to say that either. But I learned so much about being a man from coaching football .. I learn a lot from my son about helping kids when he was 9 years old .  Most kids bring home stray cats. Not mine he brought home kids. Every week end someone different. When he was in high school he brought home a kid .. said he had no where to live can we help? and and 17 years later he and his family now are part of ours. So Dave you ask why we coach?? To make a difference for me anyway. And if I can win while doing it , Even better !!

Great post !

Bill

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

It's  obvious you been doing it a long time and thought about a lot of these things before.

--I do think about it a lot.  After 20+ years, I think I've kinda got a handle on our X&O/Drills part of it.  And I have an AC who's highly motivated to come up with new stuff for the playbook all the time.  But I spend most of my time now thinking about building:  Building a program through building young men's lives.  When I go to Orlando next week for the USAFootball clinic, I'll spend most of my time in team/program-building clinics.

I come from a two parent household. Didn't know any better and thought everyone did too when I was young.

--I had two parents, as well.  And getting introduced to coaching in a public-housing area was a real eye opener.

To be honest I didn't even think about making a difference then.

--Neither did I.  In hindsight, I'm not real sure why I went out there.  I never played football in high school or jr. high.  Something just spoke to me about it.

I really just wanted to win. I'm not proud to say that either.

--That was me too.  But the Lord blessed us pretty quickly on the winning end, so we began focusing on other more pressing issues that were happening right in front of us.

So Dave you ask why we coach?? To make a difference for me anyway. And if I can win while doing it, Even better!!

--The component of winning isn't really a part of what I'm talking about, though.  That's a separate and entirely different conversation, because the expectation & demand of winning is already there.  Expectation to win and the winning itself is a given.  That expectation was made of you when you were hired and winning takes care of itself, as long as you know how to.  That being said, we can put that on the backburner because we know how to assemble those ingredients.

It's interesting to me that there are forums for all kinds of discussion about the X&O aspect of it, when that's the simplest and easiest part of coaching.  But relatively nothing on the "Care Aspect" and the ability to influence and change lives for the better.  Some coaches don't deal with it at all.  Others give it lip service.  Some have it as the mainstay of their program and core beliefs.  I believe we all want to become great coaches.  And if that's truly your desire, then you don't even need to concern yourself with the X and O aspect of it, to be a great coach.  Players care more that you care about them, then how much you know about your scheme.  If you have the capability to care and then make your players lives better through that care, then as far as your players are concerned, you already are a great coach.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Everything we say and do with kids is about winning. An I do not mean score board.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Clancy20
(@clancy20)
Lurker

It's funny this discussion comes up today... I was just thinking yesterday of the reasons why I'm so crazy about this game and coaching it. I'm a young guy and fairly new to the coaching world, but I guess the main thing I'm hoping to gain from the "coaching" experience is to positively impact a young mans life. Coaching in a very low income neighborhood is a difficult task but it's one that I wouldn't trade for the world. A lot of the kids we coach are very similar to the ones coach Potter described, lacking a male figure in their life. So if We can get through to at least one kid every season I feel we've accomplished something. Yeah, the X's and O's are great, the film study is great but the lessons the game of football teaches you about LIFE far exceeds X's and O's or wins and losses. This game will end for everybody but the lessons learned from football will carry on forever.

I try to explain to my 9 year old that one day playing football will end and it's all about taking what we learn while playing this game and applying to everyday life... right now he looks at me crazy lol but one day I think he will say " my old man was right". I know I did with my dad and previous coaches. Hell, my old man is my assistant coach to this day and still teaching me lessons.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

Everything we say and do with kids is about winning. An I do not mean score board.

This is your best. post.ever.

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper

"Hell, my old man is my assistant coach to this day and still teaching me lessons."

Billy I can only hope more good then bad !!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: