My next experiment?

Notifications
Clear all

My next experiment?

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Im thinking before I hang up my whistle I'd like to try something unique. 

Would have to be with older kids with experience playing together and a late season regular season game. 

If its true game are won during the week and we practice how we play and all...what if the coaches didn't show up on game day and the kids managed everything themselves? 

If you coach your own kid...sit in the stands and root for them. If you don't have a kid on the team...stay home a rake leaves. 

HC presents himself for the pre game with the refs and the coin flip then....becomes the Adult on the sideline to monitor any injuries. 

Can the players do it? Im thinking yes under the right circumstance. Call all the plays....accept or deny penalties ....show respect and sportsmanship to the opponent and the zebras. Keep a proper platoon going. Realize certain game situations. 

Why do this? It would be the ultimate test to see if they are truly all about taking ownership in themselves and their Brothers. Can they survive as a unit without being lead by a Coach? How do they deal with adversity? Have they been paying attention to all of the details or they are just present and wearing a uniform every week. Would the Alpha males lead and embrace the sheep without my stink eye on them? Would they stick to the plan?  

Yah I'd like to try this one day. 

About 20 years ago I knew of a very well oiled 8th grade team that ran their own pregame. Im thinking that team could have pulled off something like this. I have coached a few 8th grade teams that probably didn't need me on game days. They had already played together for years so it was all business as usual.  

Although with my current team that's 4 years from now. Not sure I have that much left in the tank. Getting tired. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Might be exactly what this group needs. Why don't we start building on this now. Do less and less for them, but still make sure everything gets done that needs getting done. Have them start running more and more of practice. I'd love to watch a game from a folding chair some day. I can stay incognito and watch from a distance, but there is no way I stay home and rake leaves.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by gumby_in_co

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Might be exactly what this group needs. Why don't we start building on this now. Do less and less for them, but still make sure everything gets done that needs getting done. Have them start running more and more of practice. I'd love to watch a game from a folding chair some day. I can stay incognito and watch from a distance, but there is no way I stay home and rake leaves.

Yah...make Jake rake leaves. Had breakfast with Evan today and he gave me the idea. He has to decide on football or baseball on Saturday. His grandpa is in town. If his family does football no one is left to manage the baseball team because only  Niles is left. His 2 AC's are on vacation. Evans solution....they can manage themselves. Lets do football! 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

I've had some capable teams that didn't require much input from me. But, I've never coached a team well enough to not need me, at all.  So, I could never try it. Playing football and coaching football are two different skill sets. I would think that player and game management and sideline minutia would be too distracting for players on the field.  But, because I can't do it, doesn't mean I'd ever try to dissuade two very capable coaches that are willing to try it. 

If I was involved, I'd follow Mike's 4 year agenda.  I'd actually try to set up an internal Coaches Academy with the players. Maybe start with the Hollywood cliché kids that have more smarts than physical talents. Get them to learn how to track plays, stats, penalties, etc...  And, then let them start letting them have input on coaching decisions.  Throw in some of Michael's Video Game Theory and in 4 years there's no telling to where such an experiment may lead.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper

I think our Fall team could pull this off if we ran SW.

Last Fall my starting QB broke his collarbone on the first offensive play of the season. We decided to run SW because we didnt have a sufficient back up.

My QB was my right hand man for the rest of the season. I couldve easily gave him the playcard and walked away. He understood the SW and was always in my ear with play suggestions. Most of the time it is exactly what I wanted to call. 

I think spread teams could do this pretty easily. Have the QB read the field and make the play calls off a wrist coach. 

In the DC R&S the QB and WR both read the field without a call from a coach. This would be the ultimate coachless offense.

I think it can be done but I am way too much of a control freak to attempt it 😅.  

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Soooo I did this my with first jrhigh team, kinda. 

Coaches coached and regulated subs. 

Due to a convo with coltsy, our qb called his own plays.  Only time a coach would provide input is when the qb signalled for it.  To which a signal was returned with run/pass and the qb picked the side to run or the pass play.  

We never punted, onside kicked, and rushed each punt on defense.  

Practice was all coaches but the game was all the players. 

It was fun we made it to semi finals and lost on a heart breaking 40 yard field goal.  Damn kid had like 10 more yards to spare too, crazy. 

Coltsy said to me "if you don't know what your kids are upto, how is the opponent goin to know".  That will forever stick with me.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

FWIW,  while I'm not quite willing to go that far, usually by mid season, in the 2nd half of games, I;m asking my FB if he wants to run Belly to the Quickside or Strongside (most games they want to run to the quickside), and my HB if he wants to run Buckshort, Counter, or Bucksweep and my QB if he wants to waggle to the quick or strong side.  

The kids often have a feel for what is working best for them, and picking their side/ play adds to their confidence.  

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Call up the film crew. This would be gold.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Share: