Nebraska spring gam...

Notifications

Nebraska spring game compete drill  

RSS

Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
August 18, 2017 5:15 am  

I tried to quote the old thread but it didn't quite work so see below.  I've seen this drill before but never used until yesterday.  We used one back, one blocker and one Defender coned off an area of about a 7 yd Square.  I used my watch and let them go for 20 to 30 seconds then the defender became the blocker and then the blocker became the ball carrier. Instructions were for the back to stay behind the blocker the blocker obviously to keep himself between the defender and the back and the defender was to get to the back how every could.  No one could leave the square rotated the kids through a few times they were all pretty gassed by the end. Also no pushing in the back as in the video they had to stay by the rules.

Youtube link

Original thread

http://www.dumcoach.com/defense-158/fun-drill/msg219593/#msg219593

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
August 18, 2017 5:20 am  

#30 Richard Wynne - the running back in the 3rd drill played in my Org for 6 years- I had him for 1

He is doing some film work for our program this Sunday

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
August 18, 2017 5:25 am  

That's awesome!!! 

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
August 18, 2017 6:12 am  

That's awesome!!!

Great kid
Never saw the field for the Huskers
Led largest class in state in Rushing his Senior year
But was only 175 lbs and ran a 5.05  40 yd- great body control, acceleration and lateral quickness. Very physical low center of gravity runner- for small kid.  Straight line speed= not so much.
Excellent inside runner- he was my 2 back- ran a bunch of wedge and tight spinner 26 powers for me

His younger brother played in program for 5 years- I had him as a 6 year old
He is serving life on a murder charge- 2 kids, same family, much different results

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
jvcoach
(@jvcoach)
Bronze
August 18, 2017 7:11 am  

Kids love this drill because its fun for them.  As a coach I love what it brings out.  Aggression and fight!  Particularly for the blockers, team work.  For the defender, its not always going to be a fair match.  Deal with it and find a way to get your job done.  We take a Dave Potter approach and just call for 3 dudes to get in, rather than have a rotation.  We have a coach be the running back. If the defender gets to the coach the blockers do 15 pushups.  If the blockers keep the coach protected for 15 seconds the defender does 15 pushups.  We watch for holding, hands to the face, etc. Penalties earn 15 pushups.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 18, 2017 8:10 am  

Great drill. Can get extremely physical. Gets the whole team excited.

ReplyQuote
Share: