Notifications
Clear all

Need Help

Page 3 / 9

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

All looking for northern youth football coaches, of course.

Hell yeah they are... or a hawaiian guy in his 20s... I can make it work.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I know I can't fix the coaches, that is up to them. But my goal is to get them as much help as possible so there are no excuses. I just know we have had promises of getting our coaches help and so far nothing has happened. I am tired of that, so I am going to take it upon myself to get it done. I would love to create a small clinic for local coaches and anyone who wanted to come from out of town. But I was asked to hold off on that for a while but that is really is a goal of mine.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I would love to create a small clinic for local coaches and anyone who wanted to come from out of town. But I was asked to hold off on that for a while

That should tell you something.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachAD
(@coachad)
Silver

I know I can't fix the coaches, that is up to them. But my goal is to get them as much help as possible so there are no excuses. I just know we have had promises of getting our coaches help and so far nothing has happened. I am tired of that, so I am going to take it upon myself to get it done. I would love to create a small clinic for local coaches and anyone who wanted to come from out of town. But I was asked to hold off on that for a while but that is really is a goal of mine.

After thinking about this for about 5 minutes I would do a couple of things that I haven't seen.  I'd charge all the coaches for attending the clinic but the cost would not be $, it would be to submit 2-3 questions. (and I wouldn't tell them about it until they got to the door)

Too many times I've been in a youth clinic, or a clinic billed as a youth clinic, and after 2-3 minutes I'm thinking "Aww hell, this isn't what I thought it was" or "Is he really talking about fold blocking with 7 year olds?"

Asking for question submissions will accomplish a couple of things:  1.  It will guarantee the speaker will at least give a cursory answer to a point of interest of the attendee and 2.  It will allow the speaker to bend the question and address his own philosophy.  The speaker can commit 15 - 20 minutes to these questions before going into his spiel.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

That should tell you something.

--Dave

Oh that wasn't from anyone in my org. That was told to me by a coaching friend of mine. There was supposed to be a clinic or something like that here but it just never happened.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Chris

Unfortunately, here is the truth when it comes to coaching up coaches. You can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink.

The pervasive attitude from youth coaches is they don't need to learn anything from anyone. their stock answer is " well it's youth football", & " our kids can't do that". 

You have been to my home, we have sat & thrown ideas off the glass doors. You know I am always open to help, but you can't help those who don't want help.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Chris,
  Jeff seemed open to the idea. I told him it wasn't about scheme, just about why teams win and why teams lose. You going to the Glazier? Jeff usually speaks at the COY. Not sure about this year yet. Maybe that would be a good youth topic.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Chris

Unfortunately, here is the truth when it comes to coaching up coaches. You can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink.

The pervasive attitude from youth coaches is they don't need to learn anything from anyone. their stock answer is " well it's youth football", & " our kids can't do that". 

You have been to my home, we have sat & thrown ideas off the glass doors. You know I am always open to help, but you can't help those who don't want help.

Joe

I agree with you 100% Joe. I can't force them to do anything but I want to at least get something together and make it available to all coaches, not just my Org coaches.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Chris,
  Jeff seemed open to the idea. I told him it wasn't about scheme, just about why teams win and why teams lose. You going to the Glazier? Jeff usually speaks at the COY. Not sure about this year yet. Maybe that would be a good youth topic.

I planned on going to Glazier since is is cheaper, lol. Yeah it is definitely not about scheme. I could care less about scheme. We need to practice better.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

My org was bad at this a long time ago... till I lit asses on fire.

I decided the best way to get coaches on board was to force my team to be better n have it catch on.

So we started practices with little stoppage and constant instruction. We eliminated any lag time.  Buzz went around that the kids on my team were having fun and their younger freinds or brothers werent.

Coincidentally we were winning more and having more competitive games. .. parents started to complain bout the coaching... thats when heads rolled.

Over the years its been an unspoken contest amongst teams to have the best practice. So far...so good.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

Chris

My org is in the same boat as yours. We cant expect to develop our kids if the adults instructing them arent developing themselves. I know that I have a core group of guys that would be interested in attending anything you are able to put together. We are a little east of Tampa so the commute for us wouldnt be bad at all. I think if some of the guys pick up some new ideas and have success with them it will force other guys who arent so keen to clinic or learn to get on board too.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
Topic starter  

My org was bad at this a long time ago... till I lit asses on fire.

I decided the best way to get coaches on board was to force my team to be better n have it catch on.

So we started practices with little stoppage and constant instruction. We eliminated any lag time.  Buzz went around that the kids on my team were having fun and their younger freinds or brothers werent.

Coincidentally we were winning more and having more competitive games. .. parents started to complain bout the coaching... thats when heads rolled.

Over the years its been an unspoken contest amongst teams to have the best practice. So far...so good.

We need this. A whole lot of this. Right now our practices are terrible. They can be way better than they are.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Practice is always a good topic at the youth level, but frankly I don't really like how most coaches present on it.

Most of us know there are different methods of presenting and of absorbing information.  Some do better seeing it (video and/or demos), some do better hearing it (lecture), some need to get up and walk it through, some need to see it written, etc.  Usually, when you have presentations on scheme or technique, you see multiple methods in the same presentation - demos/video, lecture and written. But on practice methodology, you rarely see videos presentations.  I know Dave Cisar has some video on his individual drills, but I haven't seen any video of the overall practices.  To me, that's as important as seeing a play being run on video.

I brought that up to Jack once when he asked - I would LOVE to see video taken of a practice - big picture of field set up, how the kids go from one drill to another, how the coaches move through it, etc.  Then a close up on the drills.  That's relatively easily done using one camera over a week or so, then editing it down to a reasonable length - we only need to see 2-3 reps of each drill, then the 30 seconds/minute of the transition between drills, etc.  You could almost just set the camera up with a good angle on the whole practice field and leave it for the entire practice, then over ensuing days do the same for each drill.  Obviously more efficient to have someone walking around with it, but you wouldn't have to.  Heck, over the course of a season you could relatively easily capture your entire practice methodology and edit it down to maybe a 30-45 minute video.

Never seen that before, and I would pay for a video of someone like PSL's team's, or Jack or Dave Cisar's practices set up in that way.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/need-know-learning-styles-myth-two-minutes/

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Interesting article. Makes sense, I always thought that concept got taken way too far.

Not even remotely applicable to this topic, but interesting.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 9
Share: