Need info about you...

Notifications
Clear all

Need info about youth/middle school football in Austin, Tx

CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver
Topic starter  

Looks like my family will be pulling up stakes and moving to Texas. Looks like we'll be living south of Austin. Probably near Buda or San Marcos.

Any of you guys from Texas that can tell me about Youth Football and Middle School ball would be great. We don't have middle school ball in the part of Florida that I am from, at least we haven't for about 20 years. My son is 13 and has been playing since he was 8. If we move out there after school has started will he still be able to catch on with his middle school team? From what I see youth ball doesn't go past 12yrs old.

Thanks in advance.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

Welcome to Texas, Coach!

If your son wants to participate in youth football in the Central Texas area he's limited to joining TYFA due to already being 13 years of age.  Most youth leagues around here age out at 12 years old.  Unfortunately, I can't say much about TYFA.  I don't know much about the league. I coached there for one year ten years ago.  It is a large league.  The upper-tier teams are very competitive league- or, at least that was the way it was when I coached. 

Middle school football begins with 7th graders.  He should have no problems with joining his school team.  Actually, he can even participate in both.  TYFA has no rules against a middle school player also playing on their school team.

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver
Topic starter  

Thanks Tiger. Really more interested in Middle School Ball since he will be an 8th grader. Should find out later this week the exact timetable for our move. Looks like school in the Austin area starts at the same time we do in Tampa, Fl. Don't know if we'll be out there by the end of the month. But more likely early September.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Elwartowski
(@elwartowski)
Copper

The first question the AD is going to ask is how big is your son and what is his 40 time.  From how I understand public UIL schools in Texas, it is up to the AD if they can come in mid season.  I would call ahead to whichever district they will attend. Yes they start school sponsored football at 7th grade here.  I deal more with private schools, which I know our league they can come in mid season especially at the middle school level at the discretion of the new AD/coach, with written release of their previous school. (this is to prevent recruiting)  One of my kids plays a lot of baseball tournaments out there in Buda.

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver
Topic starter  

Well we are moving from Tampa, Fl to Austin, Tx. for work so no recruiting going on. He's 5'10" 275lb and wears a size 14 shoe. He's been a lineman since he was 8 years old. Has mostly played Guard and Tackle but can play center. Has played Defensive Tackle as well. He's not fast at all. 40 time right now is about 5.9 seconds. Our doc says he'll top out at about 6'4". Kids already got bigger feet than me and I'm 6'2". We don't have middle school ball here and I'd prefer he play that when we get out there rather than youth ball.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Many youth teams at that age group are coached much better than the school guys coaching for a tiny stipend based on seniority.
Here our 7-8th grade team is being coached by 5 guys, 4 who played College Ball, 2 were DI starters at NU. Another is probably the best youth baseball coach in the state- played QB at smaller college- excellent coach. I would put those guys resumes up against any Jr High staff.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver
Topic starter  

Many youth teams at that age group are coached much better than the school guys coaching for a tiny stipend based on seniority.
Here our 7-8th grade team is being coached by 5 guys, 4 who played College Ball, 2 were DI starters at NU. Another is probably the best youth baseball coach in the state- played QB at smaller college- excellent coach. I would put those guys resumes up against any Jr High staff.

Dave

I understand that. But the youth leagues I would consider signing him up for don't have teams for his age group. But we'll have to look at it once we have a clearer picture of what our relocation timetable is. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share: