Notifications
Clear all

New Job

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Today I accepted the school's offer to become the next JV head football coach at MCHS.  I have been at the school for the past 2 seasons, which makes this the longest tenure for me at one high school in a decade.  Two seasons ago, I coached the Varsity and JV running backs and this past season added the offensive line.  We've already started our off-season program, hoping to hit the ground running.  The AirRaid will be a long learning curve for me, because as I found in running the Double Wing, I don't become adept at teaching something within a season or two.  If I can become half as comfortable about the AirRaid as I am with the Double Wing, I feel confident that we'll be successful.  This is the  fourth time I've been a header at the high school level, and the second time at a TF AirRaid school (we went 8-1 in 2016 at GHHS), but we ran it very differently from how the offense is run here.  Was wondering if I was going to get the opportunity to do this again, so I'm looking forward to it.

--Dave

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by CoachDP

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote, terrypjohnson, Seth54 and 3 people liked
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Congratulations, Dave. The school and more importantly, the kids are very fortunate. I've no doubt that as a header, the numbers and academic challenges will in the past.

Don't sweat the Air Raid. I was forced into learning 5-wide empty after being a DW zealot for years. Learning how to coach something goes a long way to understanding how to defend it.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Congratulations, Dave. The school and more importantly, the kids are very fortunate. I've no doubt that as a header, the numbers and academic challenges will in the past.

--Thank you Lar.  I'm glad to have the opportunity.  When I came here two seasons ago, at my first interview, the Varsity header said that he'd heard I had a reputation of being "difficult."  I told him that was true, in regards to dealing with other coaches who don't work hard.  In that respect, I'm very difficult.  I told him that's because I take what I do very seriously.  I intended on showing him how hard I could work and that I'll take whatever responsibility he gives me and run with it.  You might not like your role on a staff, but head coaches can't keep anyone from showing them how good of an AC you can be.  Be on time, do (more than) what's asked, do it better than those around you, be the first one there and the last to leave, make your area of responsibility the best it can be run.

Don't sweat the Air Raid. I was forced into learning 5-wide empty after being a DW zealot for years. Learning how to coach something goes a long way to understanding how to defend it.

--I've been driving a Hummer for years.  I like it.  It's solid and reliable.  I know how to work on it.  I know what it can do.  The AirRaid is now like being given a Tesla.  I don't even know where the engine is...

--As for numbers, it's very odd.  I know COVID set us back.  But it didn't seem to set back our opponents.  Coach W and I want to hit the middle schools and stick our head in the door.  Recruit the halls, recruit middle schools, recruit the community.  But each high school football program is different.  Each school will tell you (differently) what you can and can't do.  My thing is, I'm pretty stubborn.

--I'm looking forward to being the JV header.  It has its plusses and minuses.  On the plus side, I get more blank slates to teach them the way I believe football should be played.  I look forward to being that guy to introduce them to "my way" of football.  We have the infrastructure and facilities to be successful.  Now I just have to do my part of it.

--Dave

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by CoachDP

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Awesome News. Congratulations.   If you build it, they will come!  (I dont know where I've heard that before?)  

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Congratulations Dave. The school made a great choice. You will be great. Just grab an AC who knows the Air Raid well. You will pick it up quickly. You know football.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @patriotsfatboy1

Congratulations Dave. The school made a great choice. You will be great. Just grab an AC who knows the Air Raid well. You will pick it up quickly. You know football.

Thanks E.  I've hit the ground running.  Been over at the school doing daily "chores..." everything from inventorying the jerseys and making plans to reorganize the equipment room to starting my off-season action plan meetings with parents and players beginning Monday.  Also, working out with the players.  But this offense... Well, we all have to take the good with the bad, I guess.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: