New Pop Warner Age/...

Notifications
Clear all

New Pop Warner Age/Weight Matrix just announced!

Page 2 / 4

bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

This change has kept my email buzzing all day

Its just 10lbs and these parents think everything changed... ugh head ache

Glad they did it..really helps my org and im sure a lot more

Mine too. And it's really only a net of 5 lbs. you only get 1 lb. increase in weeks 2, 4, 6, and 8 (plus 1 lb. if you make it to nationals).

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Weight limit rules make no sense. At all.

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold

My boys can finally be older lighters as they were only off by 7 lbs. However, we are staying with AYF. There is no weights in 2 years when they hit high school.

Helmet Decals
http://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
tsilverman
(@tsilverman)
Copper

Clearly I am in the minority!  Being in northern San Diego County, my association doesn't have any of the real big kids at any level that seem to be excluded from Pop Warner participation.  As a result, I'm left with 2 conclusions:  (1) this will continue the long time trend in my conference of encouraging and promoting elite teams made up virtually of all older but lighter players at the JPW-PW-JM levels and (2) raising the JM weight to 155 and 135 (OBL) will have a huge adverse effect on the midget division. 

Our conference just doesn't have many 170-180 pound 8th graders.  Moreover 9th and 10th graders that may fall in this weight range routinely play freshman and JV at the local high school and don't even consider midget a viable option.  The motion to scrap midget in favor of an unlimited division gets voted down every year in our conference.

It will be interesting to see how the associations in our conference react to the change...

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

Yea the biggest thing about pop warner in florida (at least in my area) is we have to have 4 other leagues because of larger kids that simply can't play pop warner or have to play so far up above their age bracket its ridiculous.

As an example on my 8 man spring tackle team this year we have 2 11 year olds, 195 pounds and 225 pounds.  Neither of which would play this year unless they played in our unlimited group (we got rid of midget last year in Mid Florida).  There are many many examples of kids that have left our area to play in other cities that have AYF or unlimited leagues due to weight.  At least with them raising it a little more a few of them can come back.

We are always on the smallish side as well, but not  because of just being small in our town, but because the big kids in our area have been playing elsewhere.

Clearly I am in the minority!  Being in northern San Diego County, my association doesn't have any of the real big kids at any level that seem to be excluded from Pop Warner participation.  As a result, I'm left with 2 conclusions:  (1) this will continue the long time trend in my conference of encouraging and promoting elite teams made up virtually of all older but lighter players at the JPW-PW-JM levels and (2) raising the JM weight to 155 and 135 (OBL) will have a huge adverse effect on the midget division. 

Our conference just doesn't have many 170-180 pound 8th graders.  Moreover 9th and 10th graders that may fall in this weight range routinely play freshman and JV at the local high school and don't even consider midget a viable option.  The motion to scrap midget in favor of an unlimited division gets voted down every year in our conference.

It will be interesting to see how the associations in our conference react to the change...

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
tsilverman
(@tsilverman)
Copper

Yea the biggest thing about pop warner in florida (at least in my area) is we have to have 4 other leagues because of larger kids that simply can't play pop warner or have to play so far up above their age bracket its ridiculous.

As an example on my 8 man spring tackle team this year we have 2 11 year olds, 195 pounds and 225 pounds.  Neither of which would play this year unless they played in our unlimited group (we got rid of midget last year in Mid Florida).  There are many many examples of kids that have left our area to play in other cities that have AYF or unlimited leagues due to weight.  At least with them raising it a little more a few of them can come back.

We are always on the smallish side as well, but not  because of just being small in our town, but because the big kids in our area have been playing elsewhere.

I agree coach... it's clearly a complex analysis of a variety of different variables and conditions.

We really have no competing AYF league in our town and hardly ever lose kids to that or another unlimited weight league.  The town to the north has a large Samoan population and they have a growing AYF team of huge kids.  It's just not our demographic.  In the end, there will never be one set of rules that work for everyone and I think these changes demonstrate a shift in national Pop Warner to get and retain more kids.

As we did this year in Florida in D1 midget division, our association will have to get the most out of what we have and get our guys to continue to believe that size isn't the only thing that matters on a football field.  Teams with heart, desire skill and coaching can and do win!

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Mine too. And it's really only a net of 5 lbs. you only get 1 lb. increase in weeks 2, 4, 6, and 8 (plus 1 lb. if you make it to nationals).

Whats up Shel?

Am I trippin or did the JM O/L max go up by 15 lbs? Thought it was 120 last year. This will probably eliminate our MID program next year, unless they finally decide to go unlimited.

I guess giving 6 lbs up front is probably not a good idea anymore. Probably cut that in half? What do yoh think?

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Yes, I'm not sure that this helps the organization that I coach in. I'll use the MM & JPW levels as an example.

At the Mighty Mite level if you are 9, they push the kid up to JPW. So we are usually left with almost all 7 & 8's and usually only have around 1 kid that tops out in the low/mid 80's. Our opponents that we faced were usually mostly 9's and many at the 80-90 weight range. Now, we are still moving our 9's up to JPW, but the 7/8 MM's will be facing kids up to 100.

In JPW, we had 1-2  O/L's last year  vs teams that seemed to have many. Looking at the rosters from last year, this year we would have 1 O/L who is not a stud. Just a smallish 11 year old(maybe 70lbs).

So I don't see how that helps our two levels at all with the kind of kids that we have. 

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

I wasn't implying that it had to be 20 lbs. I just said that is the way PW has always done it (at least for my 17 seasons). Like I said, I'm for eliminating O/L altogether, with exceptions made for kids who don't meet the minimum weight requirement for a given weight class, so they could play down.

I am not blaming you personally.  Just saying raising the weight and also raising the older lighter weight with it is a really, really bad idea.

The older lighter rule (unless extreme) is the worst rule in youth sports.  Making it heavier is throwing gas on a fire.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I think it will help our area alot once the word gets out. We currently compete against 3 leagues with unlimited weight.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Still 20 pounds lighter than my league  😛

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

Whats up Shel?

Am I trippin or did the JM O/L max go up by 15 lbs? Thought it was 120 last year. This will probably eliminate our MID program next year, unless they finally decide to go unlimited.

I guess giving 6 lbs up front is probably not a good idea anymore. Probably cut that in half? What do yoh think?

What's up Jake! Long time man. You been on sabbatical or something?

Good catch. I hadn't noticed, but you're right. JM and MD O/L weights were upped by 15. IIRC, the last weight increase (3 or 4 yrs ago?), all weight classes got 10 lbs., except JM and MD O/L's only got 5 apiece. So for the last few years, JM and MD had a 25 lb. spread between max wt. and O/L wt. I guess they just brought them back in line with the 20 lb. spread they used to have.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

What's up Jake! Long time man. You been on sabbatical or something?

Good catch. I hadn't noticed, but you're right. JM and MD O/L weights were upped by 15. IIRC, the last weight increase (3 or 4 yrs ago?), all weight classes got 10 lbs., except JM and MD O/L's only got 5 apiece. So for the last few years, JM and MD had a 25 lb. spread between max wt. and O/L wt. I guess they just brought them back in line with the 20 lb. spread they used to have.

Ya, just crazy busy. No time for football 🙁

This changes everything really. Whoever plays it the smartest will have a big advantage. I'm looking at 5 studs from last years JM team that will now be JM again. 5 kids we weren't even thinking about. Gonna be a trip to see how it all shakes out.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Interesting, just heard about this over the weekend. Not sure how it's going to impact me and my org.

We have a growing numbers issue.  We have for a long time fielded two (or more) Mitey Mite and Jr. Pee Wee teams.  We had to go with just one Mitey Mite team last season, didn't have the numbers, and our two Jr. PW teams had small rosters (20 and 21, when 24-30 each was the norm in the past).

I have a feeling we will drop one Jr. PW team this coming year (which is the team I coach).

However, with this rule, we would almost for sure return 15 kids from our team last year, including 11 O/L's.  We'd only need to pick up 4-5 more kids to have a viable team. And if everyone comes back, it would a very, very good team.  We had two O/L's last year, so we lose them, and then looking at our weights, probably another 3 kids that would include our best lineman.  So ultimately we'd lose our best player (QB but carried the ball over 50% of the time) and our two best lineman from a 7-1 team, and get everyone else back. And that includes at least 3 kids that I think will be stupid good (for our area) as O/L's.

Two complications:

1. Our conference or league may vote to eliminate O/L's.  I heard the league to our north just did that, ours may follow.

2.  We may not be able to field a Pee Wee team if my team only sends 5 kids up.

So it is very possible that our org will drop to one Jr. PW team, and move at least some of the O/L's up to Pee Wee.  That gives us teams at every level.  Sucks for me personally as it means I may not coach, but probably best for the program overall.

At least this rule change gives us options...

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

I like the rule change. It gives more kids the opportunity to play and that isn't a bad thing. I like that the ages and weights weren't changed for Tiny Mites. I also like that this gives us the opportunity to better place players based on size, age and skill. My org typically places players on the youngest team they can play for.

The other league we compete with has eliminated older lighters and gone unlimited in order to fit in better with UYFL. But there has been a huge backlash to those changes and our ages and weights are more appealing to those folks looking for a new home.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: