New PSA says Youth ...

Notifications

New PSA says Youth Football is as dangerous as Smoking  

RSS

blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 10, 2019 7:10 am  

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/us-world-sports/concussion-psa-compares-youth-football-dangers-to-smoking/

Just when you thought the concussion hysteria was starting to die down, the "Concussion Legacy Foundation" is now actively telling parents their kid will be brain damaged forever if they let them play, comparing the dangers of youth football to letting kids smoke.  This has gone beyond absurd.

My big question is who the CLF even is and why they're spending all this money on ads to tell kids not to play.  Something smells off here.

EDIT:  I just looked into it.  The CLF is an "astroturf" organization started by the same people who started the CTE Center at Boston University, Chris Nowinski and Dr. Robert Kantu.  You may know the CTE Center at Boston University as the main group (practically the only group) who's always cited in every single fear mongering article about CTE in football.  They use an extremely specious, low standard for diagnosing CTE in the brains of former NFL players (and have also found it in soccer players, baseball players, etc.) that is controversial in the medical community because the vast majority of cases were asymptomatic in life and it's unknown if what they're calling "CTE" is even anything medically significant.  The CLF was started to promote the research of the CTE Center by appearing to be a group of concerned citizens.

Once again, the CTE Center at Boston University is almost wholly responsible for the concussion hysteria and uses very specious methods to diagnose it.  They do this so they can diagnose as many cases of CTE as possible, and their primary source of funding has been the NFLPA, who has sought to use their research in lawsuits against the NFL.  It was founded by a former WWE wrestler (Chris Nowinski) who's also tried to use the results of BU studies to sue the WWE for millions.  Pretty much EVERY SINGLE TIME you see an article about the dangers of CTE in football, it is citing research by BU scientists like Dr. Ann McKie, Kantu, or people who work under them.  The place is essentially a CTE factory.

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 11, 2019 9:23 am  

It's more dangerous than smoking in the short term.  If children smoked instead of playing football during just that time of their life, and those hours of the week, a few of the ones playing football would have injuries from it, but unless one of them starts a fire, the smokers aren't going to be hurt by smoking for that short a time.

A lot of things are like that.  If you need heart surgery, on the day of the operation it's always safer to not operate.  A vaccination could kill you in less time than would be needed to develop the benefit from it.  You could be killed or injured in a crash while evacuating from a danger area before the danger even manifests; in a large enough evacuation, it's practically guaranteed that some people will be.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
October 11, 2019 2:09 pm  

I think you missed the point Bob.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 12, 2019 7:28 am  

Shocker...

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 12, 2019 9:23 am  

Sometimes the point is so stupid or depressing that it's more fun to point out the stupidity is technically correct.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
October 12, 2019 12:21 pm  

Sometimes the point is so stupid or depressing that it's more fun to point out the stupidity is technically correct.

I agree with you on that.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 14, 2019 6:46 am  

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/us-world-sports/concussion-psa-compares-youth-football-dangers-to-smoking/

Just when you thought the concussion hysteria was starting to die down, the "Concussion Legacy Foundation" is now actively telling parents their kid will be brain damaged forever if they let them play, comparing the dangers of youth football to letting kids smoke.  This has gone beyond absurd.

My big question is who the CLF even is and why they're spending all this money on ads to tell kids not to play.  Something smells off here.

EDIT:  I just looked into it.  The CLF is an "astroturf" organization started by the same people who started the CTE Center at Boston University, Chris Nowinski and Dr. Robert Kantu.  You may know the CTE Center at Boston University as the main group (practically the only group) who's always cited in every single fear mongering article about CTE in football.  They use an extremely specious, low standard for diagnosing CTE in the brains of former NFL players (and have also found it in soccer players, baseball players, etc.) that is controversial in the medical community because the vast majority of cases were asymptomatic in life and it's unknown if what they're calling "CTE" is even anything medically significant.  The CLF was started to promote the research of the CTE Center by appearing to be a group of concerned citizens.

Once again, the CTE Center at Boston University is almost wholly responsible for the concussion hysteria and uses very specious methods to diagnose it.  They do this so they can diagnose as many cases of CTE as possible, and their primary source of funding has been the NFLPA, who has sought to use their research in lawsuits against the NFL.  It was founded by a former WWE wrestler (Chris Nowinski) who's also tried to use the results of BU studies to sue the WWE for millions.  Pretty much EVERY SINGLE TIME you see an article about the dangers of CTE in football, it is citing research by BU scientists like Dr. Ann McKie, Kantu, or people who work under them.  The place is essentially a CTE factory.

All of this is correct and spot on.  I would also add two things:
1.  CLF is pushing this now as there is a hearing on H.2007 in MA where they are looking to ban tackle football before 8th grade in Massachusetts.  Nowinski and the CLF are the big advocates of this bill.  They also head up FlagFootballU14 where they will make money by being the flag equivalent of Pop Warner and AYF.  Interesting that a "research" organization can have such a conflict of interest.
2.  Nowinski never played youth football, yet he had to retire from wrestling due to concussions.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 14, 2019 9:46 am  

All of this is correct and spot on.  I would also add two things:
1.  CLF is pushing this now as there is a hearing on H.2007 in MA where they are looking to ban tackle football before 8th grade in Massachusetts.  Nowinski and the CLF are the big advocates of this bill.  They also head up FlagFootballU14 where they will make money by being the flag equivalent of Pop Warner and AYF.  Interesting that a "research" organization can have such a conflict of interest.
2.  Nowinski never played youth football, yet he had to retire from wrestling due to concussions.

I did not know that about Nowinski and CLF running a Flag Football organization that stands to benefit from getting youth football oulawed via their shoddy "research."  Very "interesting."

ReplyQuote
Share: