Notifications
Clear all

Newton Braves Football: anybody there?

Page 1 / 2

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  

It's been 3 weeks since I responded to the Newton, NJ Braves lawn sign (see Team Building entry).  I've left 2 phone messages, 2 e-mails, and recently replied to a months-old Twit of theirs.  Nothing.

Does anyone know if this organiz'n is a going concern?  They played last year, they last Twittered in April.

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I got my answer via a community Web board, Nextdoor.com.  I'm told a couple of prominent people just left to recruit for Catholic schools, and "the administrator recently left the program without properly training anyone in the infrastructure she created. Everyone is trying to figure it out."  Plus they may have been distracted by their concurrent lacrosse activities.

Apparently, though, I'm going to have to get certified in USA Football's Heads Up -- ugh.  Plus it appears that "infrastructure" includes a fingerprinting requirement, probably a lot of other stuff duplicating what I went thru back in NY using NAYS & NYSCA.  I hope they pay for it.

What I liked most about where I was coaching last (Bronx Warriors) was the stability of the organiz'n -- since 1952.  I'd experienced some loosey-goosey youth football clubs too, unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

I got my answer via a community Web board, Nextdoor.com.  I'm told a couple of prominent people just left to recruit for Catholic schools, and "the administrator recently left the program without properly training anyone in the infrastructure she created. Everyone is trying to figure it out."  Plus they may have been distracted by their concurrent lacrosse activities.

Apparently, though, I'm going to have to get certified in USA Football's Heads Up -- ugh.  Plus it appears that "infrastructure" includes a fingerprinting requirement, probably a lot of other stuff duplicating what I went thru back in NY using NAYS & NYSCA.  I hope they pay for it.

What I liked most about where I was coaching last (Bronx Warriors) was the stability of the organiz'n -- since 1952.  I'd experienced some loosey-goosey youth football clubs too, unfortunately.

It is all cover your a-- football anymore. And the people who pay the most for it are ultimately the kids.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  

It is all cover your a-- football anymore. And the people who pay the most for it are ultimately the kids.

Last word so far is that the certification of coaches via Rutgers is either a requirement by state law or for use of local school facilities.  I'll know more soon now that I've exchanged phone #s w a 12-year veteran who's still active in the organiz'n.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

The Newton youth football program has been around since at least the 70's.  Obviously it could have changed since then, or even been discontinued and re-started, but my brother played in the program in the mid-late 70's. 

Kittatinny has a program as well based in Hampton.  I'm sure Newton is a lot better of a location for you, though. If they still practice at Memory Park, you can walk there from SCCC.

I actually poked around their web site when you posted a while back, and didn't recognize any names of coaches or Board members.  Sorry, just been too long since I lived there.

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

Last word so far is that the certification of coaches via Rutgers is either a requirement by state law or for use of local school facilities.  I'll know more soon now that I've exchanged phone #s w a 12-year veteran who's still active in the organiz'n.

I'm not near Newton, and don't know anything about them, but I do coach in NJ.  Rutgers certification is a requirement of just about every organization in NJ.  It's a CYA certification that protects you and your org. It's a 2+ hour class that you only have to take once and it's "good" for life.  The org should reimburse you for the expense.  I'd be surprised if they didn't.

-Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I'm not near Newton, and don't know anything about them, but I do coach in NJ.  Rutgers certification is a requirement of just about every organization in NJ.  It's a CYA certification that protects you and your org. It's a 2+ hour class that you only have to take once and it's "good" for life.  The org should reimburse you for the expense.  I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Yesterday someone phoned me back, said they do reimburse.  He'd taken a while getting back to me because his back had been acting up (Perfect timing, shortly before football practice, huh?) and between the pain & the narcotic analgesics he had to take for it, was preoccupied.  He also explained that, yes, they do use Memory Park and they have lights!  8)

He thinks the 9 YOs have a need for a coach.  At that age, they play on a 40 X 80 yd. field, which means soon I may have feedback for the thread someone started here on that subject.  That's fine for 9 YOs, to counteract the tendency to always race to the sideline; for their body size, that's plenty of space.  Kicking will be simulated or modified.

He too went along with the Heads Up just pro forma, won't be held to actually teaching that.  For instance, he coaches wing T, and the Heads Up Blocking (hands blocking) just doesn't go with the 1st-level blocking form he uses.  They play in the Morris County league, and it's weigh-in for every game.  🙁  That was such a bother in AYF where I coached in 2007.

So now, after that long delay from my seeing that lawn sign & trying to contact an admin. who'd flown the coop, I still need to talk to another (different) guy.  I should phone him today.

That Rutgers cert. doesn't require a trip to New Brunswick, does it?  At least I finally got a car a few weeks ago, but I hope they administer such a thing at a good choice of sites or online.

I probably won't be able to do a full schedule of coaching this fall because I'm teaching a Biology course Wed. & Thurs. evenings, but I'm glad to get my feet wet again.  Next year if I know the practice schedule I'll try to take teaching assignments at Sussex Community College compatible.

Edited by JRK because Bob keeps using people's names who aren't part of this board...  🙂

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Can you stop friggin using other people's full names Bob?  I mean, these are adults, I'm sure their names are on the web site, but we really don't need to know someone's back condition.  It's not appropriate.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Can you stop friggin using other people's full names Bob?  I mean, these are adults, I'm sure their names are on the web site, but we really don't need to know someone's back condition.  It's not appropriate.

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/index.html

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

Yesterday someone phoned me back, said they do reimburse.  He'd taken a while getting back to me because his back had been acting up (Perfect timing, shortly before football practice, huh?) and between the pain & the narcotic analgesics he had to take for it, was preoccupied.  He also explained that, yes, they do use Memory Park and they have lights!  8)

He thinks the 9 YOs have a need for a coach.  At that age, they play on a 40 X 80 yd. field, which means soon I may have feedback for the thread someone started here on that subject.  That's fine for 9 YOs, to counteract the tendency to always race to the sideline; for their body size, that's plenty of space.  Kicking will be simulated or modified.

He too went along with the Heads Up just pro forma, won't be held to actually teaching that.  For instance, he coaches wing T, and the Heads Up Blocking (hands blocking) just doesn't go with the 1st-level blocking form he uses.  They play in the Morris County league, and it's weigh-in for every game.  🙁  That was such a bother in AYF where I coached in 2007.

So now, after that long delay from my seeing that lawn sign & trying to contact an admin. who'd flown the coop, I still need to talk to another (different) guy.  I should phone him today.

That Rutgers cert. doesn't require a trip to New Brunswick, does it?  At least I finally got a car a few weeks ago, but I hope they administer such a thing at a good choice of sites or online.

I probably won't be able to do a full schedule of coaching this fall because I'm teaching a Biology course Wed. & Thurs. evenings, but I'm glad to get my feet wet again.  Next year if I know the practice schedule I'll try to take teaching assignments at Sussex Community College compatible.

Edited by JRK because Bob keeps using people's names who aren't part of this board...  🙂

Bob, 

Here's some info about the RU cert:
http://youthsports.rutgers.edu/educational-courses/volunteer-coaches

They hold the clinics all over, not just in New Brunswick.  Looks like there's one in Rockaway next week:
http://youthsports.rutgers.edu/schedules/s-a-f-e-t-y-clinic

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Yet I see people discussing every hangnail and splinter on Facebook.

I just wanted people to understand he had a good excuse for not getting back to me sooner.  Someone who looked at the discussion on Nextdoor would've seen the person's full name, then may have wondered why it was still taking so long.  If it were something embarrassing like he was in jail over the weekend, I wouldn't've posted that.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Curious.

Does the sun ever shine where you live?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Curious.

Does the sun ever shine where you live?

Am I wrong? I just came back from a week long camp. I had a blast! I enjoy the hell out of the kids, preparation, practices and games. The rest of the stuff is what it is. To many people going around and acting like nothing is wrong.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Am I wrong? I just came back from a week long camp. I had a blast! I enjoy the hell out of the kids, preparation, practices and games. The rest of the stuff is what it is. To many people going around and acting like nothing is wrong.

Its a CYA everywhere.

Did you read the warning labels on you Coleman Camp Stove?

You seem....angry these days.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Its a CYA everywhere.

Did you read the warning labels on you Coleman Camp Stove?

You seem....angry these days.

What is going on with football is different. It is annoying because most of bunk. As DC points out with relative ease. I have change coming all around me, I wish I had time to be angry.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: