Note from Player

Notifications
Clear all

Note from Player

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Yesterday, I received this (handwritten) card in the mail from a graduating senior:

Coach Potter,

Thank you for your countless number number of hours of support on and off of the field.  The unity you brought to the RBs my junior year was unlike anything I've ever seen--especially during my time in the program.  I'm smart and humble enough to know I wasn't the best, or second best runningback, but you pushed me regardless, so I thank you for that.  I'm writing to let you know that I got into ECU's Honors College and received their largest scholarship.  Additionally, I was accepted to both UNC and NCSU for business, so I'm going to UNC Chapel Hill.  Thank you for your recommendation and your support.  Overall, I went 11 for 11 in my college applications.  Thank you and God Bless!

This young man had 1 carry as a RB in his high school football career.  But I focused on him as much as my 5 other RBs.  He asked me to write some recommendations on his behalf as part of his college entry application process.  So this card from him serves as my "salary" to coach at MCHS.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54, 32wedge, ThunderFootball and 5 people liked
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

The Best Pay Checks.   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper

Thanks for posting this Dave. It shows the impact coaches can make on young men.

Keep on collecting those checks. Kids these days need it more than ever.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @g8trs

Thanks for posting this Dave. It shows the impact coaches can make on young men.

Keep on collecting those checks. Kids these days need it more than ever.

Agreed, and that's my point.  This young man barely played and yet he was still able to take from what we do, and how we do it.  That's why we're trying to reel in all of them, instead of trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

A parent asked me about "cuts."  I said, "No cuts on my team.  All they have to do, is do it.  Regardless of how good they are at it; regardless of how challenging."  In this regard, coaching youth football helped me to learn this approach.  Instead of the high school-mindset that says "We'll cut you if you aren't good enough, even if you did everything that we asked of you."

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper

I have a couple kids on our team that have been with us for years but they are not as athletic as the rest of the team. These guys show up everyday, work hard and never complain. In fact they have out worked many top athletes that thought they wanted to play football with us.

A couple weeks ago we lost in the championship game. After the game I was approached by a parent that made a comment about too much dead weight on the team. I told him we dont cut players and if they make it through preseason and all practices during the week they will play. He just rolled his eyes and said I guess you will never get a championship.

All of these guys did their jobs flawlessly. One of these guys scored a TD on a 30 yard fade route. It was the best moment of the season. The whole team freaked out and rushed the endzone to celebrate with him. I am sure that kid will remember that play for the rest of his life.

I know it sounds crazy but I would rather have those guys on my team and lose a championship than cut them and win without them. But I know we can do both. 

jtrent64 and 32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
chucknduck
(@chucknduck)
Bronze

That is a great note for coaches to read here.   

There's nothing worse than coaching on a staff that only cares about the starters.  I just don't get these guys that ignore great kids that may not run fast and focus only on the most talented.   

Sadly, in my experience,  all of the high school coaches take this approach and 95% of the youth coaches.  Then they complain about their numbers being down.

Thanks for sharing Dave.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

A couple weeks ago we lost in the championship game. After the game I was approached by a parent that made a comment about too much dead weight on the team. I told him we dont cut players and if they make it through preseason and all practices during the week they will play. He just rolled his eyes and said I guess you will never get a championship.

It's amazing how blind that some people can be. smh

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  
Posted by: @chucknduck

There's nothing worse than coaching on a staff that only cares about the starters.  I just don't get these guys that ignore great kids 

I don't get it, either.  A couple weeks ago, I was on the phone with a former player.  I coached him when he was 7,8 and 9.  Then again for one more season in Middle School.  He went on to play college football.  He told me that the thing that made me special in his eyes, was that he couldn't tell who the stars of the team were, based on the the way that I treated everyone.  I told him that was because they were all the same to me.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

I know it sounds crazy but I would rather have those guys on my team and lose a championship than cut them and win without them. But I know we can do both. 

That's exactly the type of mindset we need more of in youth football *tips cap*

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

Great story, Dave.  Keep doing what you so - you're doing it right.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

We were at UNC this week, participating in a 7on7.  A young man approached me who was one of my RBs in 2019.  His family moved out of town after that season.  He saw me at UNC and came up to give a hug and say hello.  I got a selfie with him.  He was one of my 6 RBs including the young man in the post above who had sent me the nice card.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: