One thing you'll do...

Notifications
Clear all

One thing you'll do differently next season to improve as a coach.

Page 1 / 5

cbrm
 cbrm
(@cbrm)
Silver
Topic starter  

As everyone's season is either over or winding down at this point, it's time to reflect upon where you are as a coach, and what you will do next season to improve what you do, or how you do it.

Describe one thing you will do next season to improve as a coach.

As I rewatch game film to create a highlight package, I'm embarrassed at how few plays I find with >65% execution of individual assignment (about 7 of 11).  It's not only about players executing blocks or carrying out fakes, it's seeing players who seemingly didn't even try to complete the correct assignment.  Almost like our schemes were "just block somebody" or "just watch the play" at times. 

I WILL improve our success rate for execution of individual assignments next year.  I WILL grade performance using the following criteria: assignment, effort, result.  If a player obviously doesn't know his assignment, the other two will be zeros automatically.  I WILL post the grades each week.  This will also allow coaches to better know where, and with whom, work is needed.

Brian

Do right by Him, and you'll do right by them.

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

As everyone's season is either over or winding down at this point, it's time to reflect upon where you are as a coach, and what you will do next season to improve what you do, or how you do it.

Describe one thing you will do next season to improve as a coach.

As I rewatch game film to create a highlight package, I'm embarrassed at how few plays I find with >65% execution of individual assignment (about 7 of 11).  It's not only about players executing blocks or carrying out fakes, it's seeing players who seemingly didn't even try to complete the correct assignment.  Almost like our schemes were "just block somebody" or "just watch the play" at times. 

I WILL improve our success rate for execution of individual assignments next year.  I WILL grade performance using the following criteria: assignment, effort, result.  If a player obviously doesn't know his assignment, the other two will be zeros automatically.  I WILL post the grades each week.  This will also allow coaches to better know where, and with whom, work is needed.

Brian

1) I'm posting drill results next year.

2) Our rule is pretty much the complete opposite.  If you're not sure who to block, pick the most dangerous guy and absolutely drill him.  That's way, way better than getting caught between guys and doing nothing, at least for us.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

As I go through game film I am noticing that we are a lot sloppier than I thought. We will spend more time on getting the little things right.

Our blocking technique has to get better, we spent more time on the "who" vs. the "how" this year and it showed so I will try to spend more time with the line.

I also plan on watching a bunch of film to get better at reading defenses so I can be a better play caller. 

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold

Management of the parents, making sure they are committed.

Start bending players early and often when they do not show up to practice.

Refocus and find the inner calm during the game. Cuz of a lack of coaching depth I have Had to coordinate the offense. It has been difficult for me to stay in the moment of offense when I have all these other head coaching responsibilities.

I'm even considering taking a back seat and just assit if I can find the right place to coach that will allow me to coordinate the offense while the online being my core group.

Helmet Decals
http://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

As I go through game film I am noticing that we are a lot sloppier than I thought... 

Not trying to be a jerk, but if I were you, next year I would commit to watching that film *during* the season, when you have an opportunity to correct things.

I myself am taking 2015 off from coaching and plan to go watch lots of different teams play and practice to see what I can steal.

-Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

Not trying to be a jerk, but if I were you, next year I would commit to watching that film *during* the season, when you have an opportunity to correct things.

I myself am taking 2015 off from coaching and plan to go watch lots of different teams play and practice to see what I can steal.

-Craig

You don't sound like a jerk at all.  I actually did spend quite a bit of time watching film during the season and it helped me fix some pretty big issues.  I just need to do a better job of analyzing each kid at each position as the season progresses.  I wasn't seeing the trees, just the forest.

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze

I know you said only list one, but I have a few

-Understand the type of offense and defense we run to better understand what we are trying to do instead of just running plays
-learn how to read defenses better and become a better play caller
-Work ALOT more with the offensive line
-Make sure execution is as perfect as possible(correct person,head on correct side,etc)

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Well if everything works out, I'll be a HC for the first time. So I'm doing a lot of things differently.

I want a good standard practice plan that everyone can follow and execute each day without any slack time. And I want the pace of practice to be fast and intense.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold

Set an upbeat and fast paced tone from day 1 and never let up.  We kind of started a bit slow, then picked it up a bit and then as the season went along were just kind of went through the motions, as the HC, that's on me..............

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

As we tighten the screws, with kids in their 4th year of the program, the guys who drift and try to do their own thing will be dealt with pretty daggone quickly and we will be tough on them.  The tail no longer wags the dog around here.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze

Better educate my assistanta as i am starting a new program so i will have some coaches who i have never coached with

ReplyQuote
cbrm
 cbrm
(@cbrm)
Silver
Topic starter  

Better educate my assistanta as i am starting a new program so i will have some coaches who i have never coached with

From experience, make certain they're with you to coach football, rather than be player agents.  IOW, if they are dads, make sure they understand that team comes first.

Do right by Him, and you'll do right by them.

ReplyQuote
TigerMOJO
(@infccoach)
Silver

Have a few things myself

#1 Practice plan better. Ive always had my practice planned for atleast the 1st 2 months of the season. This year I started with 2 weeks and they still wasn't critiqued enough for me. Took some summer classes and that put me behind on scheduling.

#2 Planned on working with the Oline all season but found myself working with the backs once I got the OL to understand assignments BUT the backs needed to be worked with cuz they weren't getting it done. Then I got backs up to par and noticed on film OL was falling off. Coaches should know what I need from backs now so going to try to spend more time with OL.

#3 Worry about the lil things...cuz of poor practice planning I let the lil things pass me by...ie...not working DC FB drills daily. NOT NEXT YEAR

#4 As I do every year get better at reading defenses. Learning more about defense in general as thats the part of the game I want to coach when i graduate and go into school ball.

#5 Be more stern on my ACs. They told me I micro manage too much well...well its going to be you either understand it or you fall down the ladder this yr. Have a few daddy ballers that I will not invite next yr!

Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever!

A Champion will do what a loser won't do to succeed!!

Who Am I?

ReplyQuote
topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze

Whats the easiest (lol) way to teach your dad assistants

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Whats the easiest (lol) way to teach your dad assistants

Cheat cards
Written Practice Plans
Clinics

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share: