Ordered This Today

Notifications
Clear all

Ordered This Today

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I received a text this morning from Vad Lee telling me his new book was out.  Vad played his first two years of tackle football for me, as a 7 and 8-year-old.  Three years earlier, I had coached his older brother, Dominique.  Their family was always wonderful to me.  I used to pick up Vad from elementary school.  I'd pull up in front of Spaulding Elementary on my Yamaha 750 and he'd hop on the back and we'd ride to football practice.  This was a daily occurrence though I can't imagine being able to do this nowadays.  We reunited as player & coach when he played QB for his middle school team and from there he went on to lead his high school team to the state championship, then the starting QB jobs at both Georgia Tech and then James Madison.  As a senior at James Madison, they were 7-0 when he broke his foot curtailing what could have been...

Still, he finished 4th in 2014 for the Walter Payton Award and finished his collegiate career setting JMU's single-game passing, completion percentage, single-season touchdown, passing and total offense records.  In a 48-45 win over the SMU Mustangs, he set a D1 record by becoming the first player to both run and pass for 275 yards in a single game.

Vad has had to overcome plenty off the field too, but he's always handled himself with grace and humility.  His goal had always been to play in the pros, and while he certainly was talented enough, he's found that it's his life now where his ultimate goal really is.  I'm so proud of this young man and to have been a part of his life.  And yes, it's available on Amazon.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote, Seth54 and mahonz liked
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Funny story about Vad (and I've got several Vad stories), was when he was being recruited at NC State University.  I was by chance visiting an NC State practice observing their daily routine.  I was out on the practice field watching drills when I recognized Vad (who was by then a high school senior) while he was standing a few yards away in a discussion with NC State head football coach Tom O'Brien.  Vad glanced my way, saw me and hollered "Coach Potter!"  He left Coach O'Brien immediately, came over and gave me a hug, and we immediately picked up in conversation.  Coach O'Brien was never, ever the friendly sort and I could tell he was steamed that Vad had left him in mid-sentence.  And while I wasn't trying to interrupt, I certainly was happy to see Vad.  I'm sure Coach O'Brien was trying to figure out just who exactly I was.  lol

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: