Notifications
Clear all

Our 2022 6U Season

Page 1 / 3

rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Week 1 in the books! We won our opener 49-7. It was quite an eventful day from the start. Our opponent had the wrong game time, so we were on the field at 8:30 a.m. but they didn't arrive until 10:30. That was an error on their coaches because the schedule has been up for weeks. It was also about 90 degrees out, so I had to keep these kids cool as well as occupied.

We have to play under a scrimmage type of format at this age group so each team gets 12 plays on offense and 12 plays on defense each half. If you score it goes back to the 40. I gave the visiting team their choice if they wanted to go on offense or defense first and they chose defense. It didn't make a lick of difference to us. We were ready to go on both sides of the ball.

Our first 12 plays were QB Power 8 times, TB Iso twice, and WB Counter twice, not in the specific order. We scored 4 times on QB Power and both times on Counter. Great start for the good guys!

Our first defensive series was pretty solid. We need to keep working on getting our 4 down linemen off the ball and into the backfield faster, they we're largely ineffective, gonna be a huge point of emphasis moving forward. Our Ends were excellent! Nothing broke contain and they converged on the ball carrier nearly every play. Our inside backers were flying to the ball and hitting viciously! Corners were also flying to the ball and the safety was bored at 7 yds, so I moved him up to 5 yds to give him a better chance at getting in on the action. He ended making a couple nice hits. We gave up the score on a crazy broken play that started with a fumbled snap. 

At the beginning of the 2nd half, their coach asked for a little extra time so he could try to convince his backs not to quit. They didn't want to carry the ball anymore. Finally he got them to line up and play. We went back on offense again which gave his kids a little time to get it together before they had to run the ball again. We cut it short after 6 plays. We ran Iso 3 times, tried BB Trap twice (still needs alot of work), and WB Counter once. We scored on Counter and they asked if we could let them go on offense. It was 90+ by then and I could tell all the kids, especially mine who had been outside in full gear for about 5 hours at this point, we're about ready to be done. They attempted 5 more plays that all went backwards, including one where their RB ran 30 yds in the opposite direction because my DE was chasing him and he was terrified.

Their coach said enough of this and we ended it there. The worst part of this format is that we have no refs, so we have to coach and officiate. It's tough, especially when the opponents coaches don't know the rules and I have to teach them too. Oh, and their Parents called me unprofessional for scoring so much LOL!!! I didn't tell our boys to run the score up. I just told them what plays to run. I mean sheesh! We only have 4 damn plays and they're all running plays. We play our cross town rival on Friday night. We need a good week of practice and a short memory.

32wedge liked
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @rpatric

The worst part of this format is that we have no refs, so we have to coach and officiate. It's tough, especially when the opponents coaches don't know the rules and I have to teach them too.

--No refs, eh?  I might actually enjoy coaching that age group then.

Oh, and their Parents called me unprofessional for scoring so much LOL!!!

--Get used to it.  No one likes a winner, except the winners.

I didn't tell our boys to run the score up. I just told them what plays to run.

--Doesn't matter whether you told them to run it up, or not.  That would have no bearing on how well they perform.  If it did, then every coach would say, "Run it up!" and the points would just start magically appearing.

We only have 4 damn plays and they're all running plays.

--Doesn't matter.  Parents are going to accuse you of anything and everything.  Just coach your boys and don't concern yourself with what the losers think.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge and rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I finally got to see some of the film footage from Saturday and the reason we won so handily had way more to do with how unprepared our opponent was than how good we were. Our line play on both sides was mediocre at best. I don't expect 5 and 6 year olds to execute flawlessly by any means, but we have to do better as Coaches. I could make excuses since I have been missing 3 of our 5 coaches for the last several weeks, but at the end of the day I have to do a better job. My line coach is the DC at a local High School and they have their first game friday, so his practice schedule is easing up a bit. He came back yesterday and will be at the bulk of practices from here on out. I usually don't let other coaches have control of the offensive line, but he's just flat out better than me at it.

I definitely noticed and increase in intensity last night along with 100% attendance! This team has been very good about being at practice which says a lot about the parents. They're loving it because their kids are loving it! We always start with a short period of dynamics and I mix it up between going on cadence or ball movement. For the first time, I didn't have to call out the movements. The players were all doing it! Nobody jumped offsides either. They're getting it which means I must be getting better at what i do. We always go straight into angle tackling from there. Every single day without exception. I'm amazed with their improvement from day one to now. These kids can actually tackle and it was very evident in our game.

I always try to use a similar approach to Coach DP, as much as I can anyway, so I nearly passed out during board drills last night. It was so high energy and intense and the kids loved it. They were growling and yelling, calling each other out, and giving intense effort on every rep. Parents were really getting into it too. We ran Tee Time for the first time. I ran the drill with my linebackers, d backs, and ends while Ricky worked on technique and close quarters tackling with the interior linemen. I was a little unsure how Tee Time would go with kids this small, but it was fantastic. Every rep was full effort and I didn't even have to bring it up. We were over the top excited about every hit. The more we celebrated the violent contact, the more the kids pushed to out do each other. The had a blast. 

Excitement+Positive Reinforcement with bobbleheads= Aggression

Ryan

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I definitely noticed and increase in intensity last night along with 100% attendance! This team has been very good about being at practice which says a lot about the parents.

So important. 

Our attendance has been HORRIFIC. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@mahonz - Let me guess, travel baseball? That's been killing my numbers!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

Nope. Going back the last 2 weeks and into this weekend:

Back to school night - at least 5, maybe more

Vacation - at least 2

Sick - At least 10, maybe more

Going to TX to meet his newborn cousin

Fishing

Mom got confused about the schedule

Going away party

Orthodontist appointment

Motocross race

Labor Day Golf tournament

Labor Day Vacation

I'm probably forgetting some. 

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Topic starter  

@gumby_in_co 

Damn Coach! What the heck is going on in Colorado? I mean, I ain't gonna lie, I've skipped quite a few things in my life to go bass fishing, but that list of reasons is not ok.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

What about "you can't have practice on Saturday morning because Go Dawgs!". Asking for a friend 😉

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Nope. Going back the last 2 weeks and into this weekend:

Back to school night - at least 5, maybe more

Vacation - at least 2

Sick - At least 10, maybe more

Going to TX to meet his newborn cousin

Fishing

Going away party

Orthodontist appointment

Motocross race

Labor Day Golf tournament

Labor Day Vacation

I'm probably forgetting some. 

Jellystone. Cant forget Jellystone. I had no idea this place was real. 

And dont forget Koodies Kamp in two weeks where 6th graders go to get their first kiss.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@gumby_in_co 

Damn Coach! What the heck is going on in Colorado? I mean, I ain't gonna lie, I've skipped quite a few things in my life to go bass fishing, but that list of reasons is not ok.

I have no freaking idea. Sickness, school functions and family events are excused absences per my policy. So the following are unexcused:

Fishing

Going away party

Motocross race

Mahonz and I went back and forth about the orthodontist appointment. In years past, it was "schedule it on a non-football day". I pointed out to him that things have changed with dental/medical. You take the appointment when you can get it. Also, I changed the regular schedule at the last minute, so as far as I know, they scheduled the ortho appointment on a non-football day based on the latest intel.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

@gumby_in_co 

I have no freaking idea. Sickness, school functions and family events are excused absences per my policy. So the following are unexcused:

Fishing

Going away party

Motocross race

Mahonz and I went back and forth about the orthodontist appointment. In years past, it was "schedule it on a non-football day". I pointed out to him that things have changed with dental/medical. You take the appointment when you can get it. Also, I changed the regular schedule at the last minute, so as far as I know, they scheduled the ortho appointment on a non-football day based on the latest intel.

Cant help the injuries...but all this other stuff? SMH at all of this.  😡😡

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper

@gumby_in_co 

I’ve got a kid missing tomorrow bc his parents are taking him to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  Definitely the first time I’ve heard that one.  

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

@festivus15 - I hadn't heard it either.... until last night. I asked the guys where one our players was and half of them said, "He's going to a concert".

You watch, his parents will ask me why he's not starting at RB!

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @festivus15

@gumby_in_co 

I’ve got a kid missing tomorrow bc his parents are taking him to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  Definitely the first time I’ve heard that one.  

Over the years . . .

Garth Brooks

Jeff Dunham (??? - I guess the kid was a real big fan)

Metallica

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper

@festivus15 - I hadn't heard it either.... until last night. I asked the guys where one our players was and half of them said, "He's going to a concert".

You watch, his parents will ask me why he's not starting at RB!

The thing is, this kid will be starting for me at RB.  He’s my fastest by a mile and loves contact.  He’s been regular other than this, so I’m not too concerned.  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: